What to believe... elliptical machine or MFP?

Options
2»

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Neither. Get a Heart Rate Monitor.

If you can't get one, err on the extreme side of caution if you are eating cals back.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    get a heart rate monitor...can't go wrong with that....mine will calculate my calories burned.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Most machines are way off, MFP is probably closer but probably not right either. Best way to measure calories for cardio is to use a HRM.

Agreed, I would believe neither.

Your own HRM is the only way to get the right number.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the lower one for sure....I feel that MFP estimates quite high. For me, I've compared my HRM to the elliptical at my gym, and they're very close. I always enter my age and current weight into the machine when I start too....

(edit) Note: Even the HRM is really just an estimate, not an absolute, so I'm with those that suggest you err on the side of caution if eating back those calories!
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT7 (off Amazon, apx $75) and I LOVE IT. I feel so much more confident about logging my exercise calories. And I have found that both fitness machines and MFP are considerably off in terms of actual calories burned. Buy the HRM! You won't regret it!
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Both are inaccurate w/o a HRM.

The elliptical tells me I burn about 1/4 more calories than I actually do, and MFP tells me I burn about 1/3 more calories than I actually do. If you work out a lot (like me) these discrepancies can really add up and actually cause you to GAIN weight.

Get yourself a HRM!!

I actually tested it out and I find the elliptical machine (after entering my weight and age) is pretty close to the HRM. Not spot on but close.. say Elliptical machine says 250 burned HRM will report somethign between 235 and 245, which is not terrible. MFP on the other han d- makes me feel like a slouch because Im no where NEAR the numbers it reports.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    When I started logging exercise I made the conscious decision to log the lowest burned calorie count from the various sources I had. Elliptical machine I enter age and weight and always use the handle grip HRM. Also checked what MFP estimated my burn would be. After a couple months of that I got a Garmin FR60 HRM which has height, weight, age, gender and an estimate of fitness level programmed into it. I now record the lowest of the machine, my HRM and MFP. MFP has always been the highest. Machine used to be the lowest but in the last week my HRM has dropped slightly lower than the machine, because I'm getting in much better shape. I still record the lower.
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    MFP's calculation is much higher. The machines are closer to your calories burned once you put in your weight. Invest in a HRM for more accuracy. My HRM is usually around the same as the elliptical; especially if the elliptical handles have the sensors on them.
  • jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options

^^Buy this one!!
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would go with the machine over MFP, MFP is insanely high on most exercise.

This is just another big reason not to eat back exercise calories, or at most to eat back 33% of your exercise calories.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    It is usually in your best interest to underestimate calories burned rather than overestimate it.
  • Foxefabuluz
    Foxefabuluz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that the Ellipitical and MFP is way off for me on most exercises. Purchases the right sneakers, and my Polar FT4 HRM have been my best investments yet.
  • kc82
    kc82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much again for the responses. They have been so helpful! I am checking out all of the HRMs that everyone has mentioned. I'm definitely looking forward to getting one soon! And I'm definitely not going to be eating back any calories I burn (or at least I hope not) lol. That could definitely be bad. :)
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I go with the lower number.
    When I work on my elliptical at home, it says I burn around 160 calories for half an hour, if I enter 30 mins into MFP, it says I'm burning around 300 or something...I go with the lower number, if I actually burn more, that's a bonus. It's also harder to eat back the higher number of calories.

I'm looking to get a HRM in the near future as well, but can't afford one at the moment :(
  • adrijordan
    adrijordan Posts: 28
    Options
    HRM. I got mine off Ebay for $10 and it's awesome.