What to do after P90x ??

Options
Robin1117
Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
Hi there!

I was hoping to get some ideas on what to do next..... I will be finishing my 2nd round of p90x in a few weeks. I know the booklet gives you ideas on how to mix in P90x workouts part-time with regular outdoor exercise, or whatever, to form an exercise maintenance plan, but I'm also looking for some suggestions for another program to try that can help build on the base I already have. After 2 rounds, I love it still but would love to try out something new as well.

Before P90x, I did most of the Jillian Michaels workouts (Shred, 6 pack, Ripped, NMTZ, BFBM....etc).

If you have suggestions on programs, or just maintaining after P90x that would be great. thank you!

Replies

• joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    One word:

INSANITY!
  • realwombat
    realwombat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Second that!
  • Robin1117
    Options
    One word:

INSANITY!

Are you thinking in full, or some sort of hybrid w/P90x?
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Would it be possible to specify your goals Robin, if they are clear in your own mind? Would you like to build muscle and strengthen bones, or are you more interested in cardiovascular health, or both? And what kind of thing do you actively enjoy doing? I suppose you also need to take into account what equipment you already have.

So, I'm thinking either Insanity, as the others said, or NROLFW, or Stronglifts 5x5 (which people generally seem to move on to after NROLFW but there's no reason you can't start there). I've also heard quite a few people say good things about Chalene Extreme, but I really don't know anything about it.

And there's a new Jillian out isn't there (Body Revolution) if you've been missing her!
  • Robin1117
    Options
    Would it be possible to specify your goals Robin, if they are clear in your own mind? Would you like to build muscle and strengthen bones, or are you more interested in cardiovascular health, or both? And what kind of thing do you actively enjoy doing? I suppose you also need to take into account what equipment you already have.

So, I'm thinking either Insanity, as the others said, or NROLFW, or Stronglifts 5x5 (which people generally seem to move on to after NROLFW but there's no reason you can't start there). I've also heard quite a few people say good things about Chalene Extreme, but I really don't know anything about it.

And there's a new Jillian out isn't there (Body Revolution) if you've been missing her!

thanks so much Maggie. I was hoping for a few more ideas and you provided a few good ones. I have never heard of stronglifts...will have to check into it. And I have NROLFW and the NROL for Abs on my list to research too..... I actually haven't looked into Body Revolution at all....again, thanks!

I would say my goal is to do something with a little different style because I have done the same thing for 6 months and just need a little change. I want it to be challenging but not killer---which is why I'm a little hesitant about Insanity....I'm not sure I want high-impact every day.......just want to keep the strength I have gained in the last few months.
  • emyback68
    emyback68 Posts: 89
    Options
    Robin -- well you know I am a fan of NROL and Cathe DVDs. Cathe has such a huge range of DVDs, you can preview most of them on her site. I started with her step routines, which are fun to learn and really provide a good workout. She also has lots of lifting and mixes of cardio and weights. But I don't think any of hers are structured over a period of time, so you would have to set your own time goals. And you could always start bike riding . . .
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    It's up to you.. but in my case. I do it all over again. However, after I'm done with this round. I think I'll order P90X2 and give that a go :)
  • coachbeav
    coachbeav Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am doing a P90X/Insanity hybrid right now. It is definitely the best of both worlds. You get the lifting days of P90X and the intense cardio of Insanity :) If you would like to hear more about my schedule, add me and I will fill you in!
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I would do p90x2 or insanity.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    another round of p90x, p90x 2, insanity, etc.
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I can highly recommend ChaLean Extreme!
  • Booboo125
    Booboo125 Posts: 3
    Options
    For those of you doing Insanity do you adjust your calorie intake or keep it at 1200 or whatever MFP says?
  • Robin1117
    Options
    Hi! Still trying to decide.....this is tough!

I have been researching Chalene. Seems interesting and a good possibility. I need to re-read the NROLFW and see if that may work. I don't think Insanity is for me just yet.

I am getting nervous though and am a little afraid to stop the P90x workouts fully, although after 6 months, I could definitely use a break. I wonder if I should do a few days of P90x and then add back in some Jillian workouts in between? Or some other cardio? Of course I would be doing outside stuff too, like walks and hikes, but with a 7 year old around this summer, i doubt the impact of my cardio sessions will be all that great if left to those sessions alone.

Or, maybe I should do something like Chalene over the summer, and then do another round of p90x in the fall?

Any other advice or stories would be welcome. thanks!
  • greggags2
    greggags2 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Insanity The Asylum I too finished P90X and wanted to add new workouts and bought The Asylum. The Asylum is like Insanity but uses more resistance moves. I like that Asylum comes with a calendar that also provides a P90X/ Asylum Hybrid for after you finish the 30 days of Asylum
  • eodtech89d
    eodtech89d Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm about to finish up a P90x/Insanity hybrid and boy that kicked my butt all over the place and I can send you the hybrid that I used if you like and you can decide if you want to use it or not. Once this hybrid is done, I think I might go for the P90x2 or just do another hybrid.
  • Jchisem
    Jchisem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you should try reebox crossfit!!!