Tracking Sugar-Free Candy, Gum, etc.?

Options
NLud4118
NLud4118 Posts: 8 Member
Hello Everyone! I had a question that I wanted to pose to the forums...
Recently I've been getting really into label reading and it got me thinking; do you record the carbs, calories, sugar (if any), and other nutrition facts from smaller items consumed during the day with products such as gym, sugar-free candy etc.? I'm sure when it comes down to it, its more personal choice than anything but I'd be interested to hear everyone's school of thought on this!

Looking foward to hearing your responses

Replies

• bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    For me, if it has calories, I track it. Some people don't, but I do.
  • av8rjtt
    av8rjtt Posts: 2
    Options
    I typically do not record them. Even though I try to be as accurate as possible with my food and exercise entries (using a heart monitor for exercise), I realize there is still enough margin of error that the few small items won't make a real difference. In a typical day I might have 3-4 sugar free life savers or pieces of gum.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I track it. If you wanted to test the theory that artificial sweetener caused you to eat more you would have some data after a few months.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I typically do not record them. Even though I try to be as accurate as possible with my food and exercise entries (using a heart monitor for exercise), I realize there is still enough margin of error that the few small items won't make a real difference. In a typical day I might have 3-4 sugar free life savers or pieces of gum.

I do track them, but I agree that it's important to remember that this will never be an error-free process.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Gum, no it's 5 calories and if I can't work that into my daily intake I need to work on my other daily intake. Candy sometimes depending on how much I eat but mine isn't sugar free so there are more calories.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    it depends.... if i have just one every now and then, then i wouldn't bother. but if it's something that's one a day, or more, then definitely it should be tracked. you want to know when you are forming habits, more than just knowing you had those 5 calories.