Those who run after injury

Options
Whatever kind of injury it was. Be it a IT band injury, ankle, calf, hip fexor.

When you started running again did it bother you? Did you feel it? Did you just run through it or did you stop?
Not sure how to ask my question.

Basically, I'm thinking of starting running again after I strained my hip flexor the end of March. I was playing baseball last night. When I would run I'd feel my hip. It was a little painful but if I kept running it would ease.
So does that mean I shouldn't run? Or will I always feel it?

I really don't want to re-injure myself or make my recovery take longer.

Your experiences and advice would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't always feel it but you might for awhile. Are you doing PT, any exercises, stretches, etc.

I strained mine in March too but haven't had to stop. I don't notice it all the time but every once in a while.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I had a fibula stress fracture in late December, and took about six weeks off from running. When I started again (slowly... I restarted couch to 5k so I wouldn't overdo it) I had some sensitivity. Not enough pain to stop, not enough to make me limp, but an awareness that the area wasn't 100% healed. That went away in about four to six more weeks.

Actually, I didn't even realize that the pain was completely gone until tried poking around my ankle reading this thread! The injury left as gradually as it came.
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options
    I had a very nasty bout of PFS following some very aggressive (and in retrospect, stupid) distance running in deep snow and ice. It knocked me out completely for two months with hideous pain. I eased back into running by doing walk/run intervals at first running no more than about half a mile at a time. I increased the running and decreased he walking over about three weeks and then I was fine to begin running as usual. The knee hasn't been painful for a couple of months, but I can still "feel" it sometimes, especially if I've done a big distance. But it's never regressed since I've started back to running. Each week it's a little better and a little stronger. I'm running a marathon on Sunday which is amazing since I could barely walk at the beginning of January! It won't be my fastest race ever, but I think the injury has made me stronger and much more intelligent in my training. I'd say, listen to your body, don't run through pain and know when to stop. Ease into it slowly so you can put on the brakes if you need to.

Good luck!!
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't always feel it but you might for awhile. Are you doing PT, any exercises, stretches, etc.

I strained mine in March too but haven't had to stop. I don't notice it all the time but every once in a while.

I was going to a PT but haven't been for a little over 2 weeks. It got too dang expensive.
    I've been doing the 30 day shred and Ripped in 30.

So you never had to stop running? That is great!!
    I could barely walk. I limped everywhere for weeks. Now I can walk without pain. Except for when I'm holding my 17 month old. I honestly think that's why it's taken so long to heal and also the cause of the strain in the first place. What kiddos will do to ya LOL!!
  • brandiemhgc
    brandiemhgc Posts: 20
    Options
    Always always always follow your doc's advice. There might be some pain, due to working it again. Take it slow don't push yourself asap right back to where you were pre injury. My daughter had knee surgery 9 weeks ago. She is a long distance runner. She started with riding the bike a little, then slowly added her mileage back in. She isn't quit as fast yet as she was, but, she is training slowly. Hopefully be ready for cc in the fall. But, (brag moment here) she did win the district title in the mile. WOOT!
    Take is slow please. Good luck!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options

I was going to a PT but haven't been for a little over 2 weeks. It got too dang expensive.
    I've been doing the 30 day shred and Ripped in 30.

So you never had to stop running? That is great!!
    I could barely walk. I limped everywhere for weeks. Now I can walk without pain. Except for when I'm holding my 17 month old. I honestly think that's why it's taken so long to heal and also the cause of the strain in the first place. What kiddos will do to ya LOL!!

I never had to stop but it did have an impact. It was mostly tweaked by speed work and longer runs. I had the darnedest time flipping over in bed after a long run!