question for all you awesome runners

Options
I recently started running. I am up to three miles in right at 30 minutes. I have two goals, I would like to complete a half martathon and I would like to become faster. So what should my training be right now? Should I up my miles or should i stick at the three miles and push myself to become faster?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I recently started running. I am up to three miles in right at 30 minutes. I have two goals, I would like to complete a half martathon and I would like to become faster. So what should my training be right now? Should I up my miles or should i stick at the three miles and push myself to become faster?

Increase your mileage. You won't be able to do effective speed work without an aerobic base to support it. As your mileage increases, you will become a more efficient runner and you will see natural speed gains. After you have a consistent base for a few months, then you can start introducing quality to your workouts, like tempo runs, strides, intervals, fartleks and an LSD.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    How recent is recent?

Get a good solid base going and a consistent routine (3 or 4 days a week with 3 miles or more a day) for a couple of months then look into half marathon training plan (I personally like HH novice). This will gradually increase your mileage.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I saw little to no pace increases once I hit a certain point until I mixed up my workout routine.

I was running pretty much every night I worked out (six days a week) because I wanted to get faster and go further. But once I hit about a 10 minute mile, where you already are, no matter how much I ran and ran, I couldn't break that average.

Once I started following a training schedule that mixed up my workouts, I found my pace just naturally increased week over week without even feeling like I was trying to increase my pace. I used Hal Higdon's plans. First his 10K plan while I was getting ready for a 7K and then a 10K. And then used his half marathon plan as the basis for the training for the half I ran on April 8th.

My week looks like this:
    Monday - full body strength, three sets/heavy/to breaking on most lifts, usually about an hour total time.
    Tuesday - mid-length run, distance depends on training schedule but anywhere from 3-6 miles.
    Wednesday - cross train, anything but straight running. For my half I alternated between fartleks and hill training since my half was in SF. For other races I do either ARC or Step Mill. But it can be any cardio that isn't plain running.
    Thursday - same strength workout as Monday, 2-3 mile run
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - cross train, almost always ARC trainer for me
    Sunday - long run, increases by one mile each week until race distance, then drop distance for taper week the week prior to the actual race

By doing this I've increased my strength, endurance, and pacing. I just finished a 12K on Sunday at my fastest overall pace average, and that was with about a half mile walking bit in the middle. (it was the Bay to Breakers and I wanted to take in the sights of the costumes and crowds while in an area perfect for viewing both in front and behind me) But it means I paced out really well on all the bits where I was actual running if my overall average was still a personal best. :)
  • USCEE77
    USCEE77 Posts: 50
    Options
    I would strongly recommend reading "Galloway's book on running" He provides tables on milage, pace, etc. to help you set realistic goals. Once you set your goal, he provides you with a daily/weekly training program.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Just keep building more miles. Your speed will improve on that alone. Once you have a solid foundation, then you can go to speed work.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in improving, this free book explains the principles - http://www.runbayou.com/ArthurLydiard.pdf.

You have to build your aerobic capacity for a while with easy and long running and then build speed on top of that. You can continue to improve aerobic capacity with hard training for ten years. Speed work only builds on top of whatever aerobic capacity you have built.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Another vote for increase your mileage.
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options

Increase your mileage. You won't be able to do effective speed work without an aerobic base to support it. As your mileage increases, you will become a more efficient runner and you will see natural speed gains. After you have a consistent base for a few months, then you can start introducing quality to your workouts, like tempo runs, strides, intervals, fartleks and an LSD.

This!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    yep, up the mileage.

i'm a pretty new runner too (and i'm slow), but i've gone from an average 15 min mile to a 12 min mile over long distances (and about 10 1/2 min mile over short). i never did any fancy workouts- i just kept running further.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

Agree wholeheartedly with all of that.

Building an endurance base is very important if you want speed to happen later. When I take time off for any reason, I always start back with longer, slow runs, and then work speed after a few months of focusing on miles. The speed comes naturally, and you'll see that with time.
  • Jessie__86
    Jessie__86 Posts: 71
    Options
    Wow! Thank you so much for all the awesome advice!!!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Totally agree with this.

I finished C25K in late March... ran my second 5K race a couple of weeks later and ran it in 35:24.

After that, I focused on increasing distance instead of trying to get faster. I upped the mileage each week, and at this point I am running 18 - 20 miles (4 to 5 days a week, mixed between short, medium and long runs).

I ran my third 5K this past weekend and PRed by more than two minutes! (33:23).

I didn't do any real "training" (speed work, hill intervals, fartleks, etc.) I just ran a variety of routes and put in a lot of mileage (65 miles in April, nearly 70 so far this month... on track for about 75-80 miles by the end of the month).

It's true that as a beginning runner you will get faster on short distances just by extending your runs... building the base helps both your long run endurance and your shorter run pace.

Ted
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    another vote for mileage.