Mystery foods

Options
Ok, so I've been really good about entering all the foods I've eaten into my food diary, but what do you do when you eat something that doesn't have set nutritional facts, or a specific name? For example: eating at the school cafeteria. Since the food isn't made by a specific company, I can't look up the nutritional facts, and therefore cannot enter an accurate food description into my food diary.

So what do you do when this happens? Do you just make a guesstimate? This is what I've been doing, and I really don't like it, as I'd like to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks!

Replies

• leaaustin77
    Options
    I go through and add each food item individually. For example, a cafeteria grilled cheese sandwich, i would do the bread, the butter added to the bread (find the bread on the list closest to what you ate), the cheese, the veggies, if any. I always find it better to over-guesstimate than under...that way you will be safe!
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    I just see if there's anything close and kind of use my judgement if there is multiple similar items. If it looks like the calories are entirely too many or too few then I end up doing a bit more research or try to break the item down by what I think is in it.

Personally I think the purpose of all this is just start/keep a good habit so if the numbers aren't quite right I don't freak out.
  • lizbwell
    Options
    One thing that helped me. Leave the database line blank. click on the search button and the entire database list will come up. I went through the list 2 times to help my memory some. Things like Gv meaning I think like "generic" and the companies like Walmart have some items there and so do others. Found out sometimes just put one main word and do search. Still working on it.