Anyone breaking the workout rules??

Options
I have been doing circuit upper and lower everyday seven days a week along with running and I want to add in more work outs. I felt tired the first few weeks but now I am just starting to feel like I just want to keep moving. I know how good squats are, trust me but I am starting to feel bored while doing them, like I am ready for the next thing to start so I can feel some burn. I am not bragging that I mastered the squat but need a switch up. I am going to be starting power90 in a few days to change my routine.

I know the rules, work three times a week, rest one day or alternate. I know people that have jobs that require the same physical labor every day and they are not pulling muscles or any of the other things we are told will happen.
Any thoughts on this subject???

Replies

• jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've never had any problem w/ daily workouts either. I would offer some advice on those squats though: don't stop doing them, but rather, make them harder. go to one foot. or add some weight. I do mine with a 35lb. kettlebell. I do lunges while lifting an 18lb kettlebell overhead. Most important rule I stick to is having variety. Muscle confusion keeps your muscles from getting bored. And changing things up also keeps YOU from getting bored
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you're into squats, why not keep upping the weight (assuming you aren't)? The progression is usually very rewarding/motivating. Unless you're already doing like 500lbs or something, but then again I can't imagine that's very boring to do!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    For 12 months I did heavy cardio (800 - 1000 calorie burns) 7 days a week. 3 weeks ago I went from 7 days cardio to 3 days cardio, 3 days lifting and a rest day (I still do 20 minutes of cardio on my rest day shhh). I don't see the problem, unless you're looking for competition style muscle gains have at it!
  • callmecaptain
    Options
    If you're into squats, why not keep upping the weight (assuming you aren't)? The progression is usually very rewarding/motivating. Unless you're already doing like 500lbs or something, but then again I can't imagine that's very boring to do!

I keep adding but I hope I can never squat 500, lol, I would be one buffed lady! I think I am just sick of same thing every day.
  • callmecaptain
    Options
    I've never had any problem w/ daily workouts either. I would offer some advice on those squats though: don't stop doing them, but rather, make them harder. go to one foot. or add some weight. I do mine with a 35lb. kettlebell. I do lunges while lifting an 18lb kettlebell overhead. Most important rule I stick to is having variety. Muscle confusion keeps your muscles from getting bored. And changing things up also keeps YOU from getting bored

I agree that is most of my problem, not enough variety! I am going to change my schedule. How often do you switch your routine?
  • manospeed
    manospeed Posts: 5
    Options
    I have been doing circuit upper and lower everyday seven days a week along with running and I want to add in more work outs. I felt tired the first few weeks but now I am just starting to feel like I just want to keep moving. I know how good squats are, trust me but I am starting to feel bored while doing them, like I am ready for the next thing to start so I can feel some burn. I am not bragging that I mastered the squat but need a switch up. I am going to be starting power90 in a few days to change my routine.

I know the rules, work three times a week, rest one day or alternate. I know people that have jobs that require the same physical labor every day and they are not pulling muscles or any of the other things we are told will happen.

You're overtraining yourself. Let me repeat that for you. You're overtraining yourself and while you might not realize it now you're actually either going to:

1. Injure yourself
    2. Not gain anything

Muscle growth does not occur during exercise. It occurs 48-72 hours after the muscle has been "damaged" due to training and weight lifting. You need to allow your body to rest and recover. This means you never workout the same muscles for 3 days.

Squats are a high intensity exercise and put a lot of stress on your body. If you're doing squats every day or every other day I can guarantee you that knee surgery will be the end result of that. You should not do squats more than twice a week.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I keep adding but I hope I can never squat 500, lol, I would be one buffed lady! I think I am just sick of same thing every day.

Don't forget, there are more than one type of squats. There are front squats, sumo squats, and more that I'm sure I don't know about. If you're squatting every day, do a different type every day. Might help bring a little variety into it.
  • callmecaptain
    Options

Don't forget, there more than one type of squats. There are front squats, sumo squats, and more that I'm sure I don't know about. If you're squatting every day, do a different type every day. Might help bring a little variety into it.

I am doing three sets of the wide variety each day...
  • callmecaptain
    Options

You're overtraining yourself. Let me repeat that for you. You're overtraining yourself and while you might not realize it now you're actually either going to:

1. Injure yourself
    2. Not gain anything

Muscle growth does not occur during exercise. It occurs 48-72 hours after the muscle has been "damaged" due to training and weight lifting. You need to allow your body to rest and recover. This means you never workout the same muscles for 3 days.

Squats are a high intensity exercise and put a lot of stress on your body. If you're doing squats every day or every other day I can guarantee you that knee surgery will be the end result of that. You should not do squats more than twice a week.

Good thought, I forgot about the muscle growth thing but I thought it was 24hrs. I am going to switch things up and go back to three days for upper and lower but am still curious about the 48-72 hours???

Thanks for your thoughts everyone else