HELP ME STOP THIS TERRIBLE PATTERN PLEASE

Options
Soooo I have good will power, but I am bad at controlling my intensely intense appetite. I am constantly craving food, even after I've eaten. And it ruins me every time.
I'm 125 pounds, but when I work really hard, I'll go to 123 pounds after just days. My goal is 120 pounds!! And then I'll get these terrible cravings, they're terrible, and I'll eat uncontrollably for a week and gain my weight back. Which is why I'm 125 pounds.
Can somebody PLEASE give me advice on how to not eat when I'm not hungry? My stomach gets satisfied but my appetite... not so much. It makes me eat random snacks when I shouldn't be and makes me go over my calorie limit. Just because food looks, is, and seems so good, I'll eat.
HELP!

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    What's the difference in the 5lbs? Why are you so needy to get there?

Maybe the reason you are hungry when you drop some is that your body needs it? You look pretty small.
  • lauren128m
    lauren128m Posts: 75
    Options
    Weight will always fluctuate. You will always encounter days that you may be one or two pounds more than you were a few days ago.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    How low have you set your calories? When you're trying to drop such a small amount you shouldn't be going more than half a pound per week.

Think about it this way -- if you can set to and KEEP TO a half pound/week program, you'll lose the 5 lbs in ten weeks. That seems like a LONG time -- but you'll be feeding yourself more along the way, so you'll be a lot less likely to break it and eat everything in sight.
  • JohnnyKitty
    JohnnyKitty Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well, that five pounds is pretty important to me.
    My weight only fluctuates a few ounces every day. But when I'm super diligent, I can get the ounces to come off a little each day and drop a pound in about five days. I want to lose one of the pounds each week...
    I eat 1200-1400 calories daily and I exercise about two hours daily.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Well, that five pounds is pretty important to me.

Why?
  • JohnnyKitty
    Options
    Personal reasons really. I really want to be 120 pounds.. I used to be 122 pounds just earlier this year. I feel bad when I'm over 124.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    you arent eating enough.
  • JohnnyKitty
    Options
    you arent eating enough.

When I eat more than this, I gain weight instantly
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    it seems to me that your mind and your body are in disagreement. It sounds to me like your 2hr workout is burning off most, if not all, of the calories you are consuming...that means you are putting your body into starvation mode. That is why you eat everything you can get your hands on after losing the weight.
  • JohnnyKitty
    Options
    it seems to me that your mind and your body are in disagreement. It sounds to me like your 2hr workout is burning off most, if not all, of the calories you are consuming...that means you are putting your body into starvation mode. That is why you eat everything you can get your hands on after losing the weight.

What should I do then, if when I eat more I gain weight and if I eat less I binge? Should I just maintain? :/
  • Ambr
    Ambr Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    its a strange one but it helps me, eat banana before breakfast it makes you feel full for the day
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You're 5' 6", 125, 18 yrs old? Even your BMR is over 1200. That's why you're not able to make yourself eat under that AND exercise the way you are for very long, because your body goes like 'Hey! She's starving us again! Activate nom impulses! Devour everything in sight!'

If you choose a more modest goal (slower rate of loss), you'll be a hell of a lot more likely to actually STICK to your goal.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Usually your body goes into craving mode when you aren't getting something that it needs. Salt is a big one, but sugars, minerals, vitamins, whatever can trip it up. Try altering your diet to something that has the same thing that you are craving. It's the same as when pregnant women get ridiculous cravings for odd combinations or foods. It's because they are not getting enough of something that their body is requiring.
  • BeccaAnderton
    Options
    Step away from the scales for a while, and eat a bit more. I used to eat a maximum of 1200 a day religiously, only recently have I started eating back my exercise calories. I still have a way to go, but now I always eat back at least half. At first, your weight will go up a little bit, because that's your body readjusting, but once it realises that it's going to get the nutrients and calories it needs, it'll start letting it go again, and you'll probably lose those last 5lbs. I know it sounds weird, but trust me on this. I was literally plateauing since September, but since doing this I've lost 2lbs, and it's been roughly a lb a week :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You're headed towards an ED. Cut the crap and stop trying to starve. If you're eating so little and your body won't drop weight, it's trying to tell you something.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You're headed towards an ED. Cut the crap and stop trying to starve. If you're eating so little and your body won't drop weight, it's trying to tell you something.

haha dude said "cut the crap" this made me laugh.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    you probably are not eating very wholesome foods
  • xipow
    xipow Posts: 58
    Options
    Your problem is about the body craving nutrition it needs to live. Check out this study done on soldiers who volunteered to go on a starvation diet to learn how to deal with those who had been held in captivity in WWII and were returning home. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

Among the conclusions from the study was the confirmation that prolonged semi-starvation produces significant increases in depression, hysteria and hypochondriasis as measured using the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. Indeed, most of the subjects experienced periods of severe emotional distress and depression.[1]:161 There were extreme reactions to the psychological effects during the experiment including self-mutilation (one subject amputated three fingers of his hand with an axe, though the subject was unsure if he had done so intentionally or accidentally).[5] Participants exhibited a preoccupation with food, both during the starvation period and the rehabilitation phase. Sexual interest was drastically reduced, and the volunteers showed signs of social withdrawal and isolation.[1]:123-124 The participants reported a decline in concentration, comprehension and judgment capabilities, although the standardized tests administered showed no actual signs of diminished capacity. There were marked declines in physiological processes indicative of decreases in each subject’s basal metabolic rate (the energy required by the body in a state of rest), reflected in reduced body temperature, respiration and heart rate. Some of the subjects exhibited edema (swelling) in their extremities, presumably due to the massive quantities of water the participants consumed attempting to fill their stomachs during the starvation period.

I found this article about hunger. . http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071005111739.htm This is not the problem you have, however, the pleasure of eating is why many cant control large portions.
  • CleanandLean33
    Options
    I think we are in a similar position weight wise and I have repeatedly had the same sort of pattern but following advice from the eat more to lose weight forum I seem to be very slowly steadying my eating and losing with my new higher kcal plan. Check out the eat more 2 weight less board I think it will really help if you follow their plan and there is alot of good info and advice.

Also think about toning up rather than just the weight... I was super shocked at a pic i saw recently the difference between two women of the same height and weight... One lean with muscle and one mo muscle and high body fat. The difference was huge.
  • nikki_1979
    nikki_1979 Posts: 57
    Options
    you're more than the number on the scale!

take a break from the scale. Try measurements and body fat percentages. You may be at the lowest that you can healthily go. Those things are generally more accurate.

So many things can fluctuate your weight like everyone else has said.

And I agree -- you're headed for an ED if you're not already there.