how many calories should I eat a day?

Options
I know the bare minimum to eat without going into starvation mode is 1200. Does that change according to how much exercise I do. Say I eat 1200 calories a day the do cardio for 2000 calories. Should I eat more?
What are some good snacks? It seems like I either eat too much or too little. My plan is to start with a heavy workout, I want to push myself to the limit every day now. its been about a month of my normal exercises, which mainly includes cardio from 1200-2000 a day and some strength work outs. Thanks any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• ashleymichaud
    ashleymichaud Posts: 119
    Options
    I really don't think you should be netting negative calories. Do you have a HRM? How accurate are your calories burned? In my own experience, and I am definitely not an expert lol, I was eating 1200 calories and I was losing weight. It only lasted about 2 months though and I plateaued for almost a month. Now I try to net at least my BMR and my losses have started again.

ETA Some snacks: avocados, nuts, peanut butter on whole wheat bread, some cheese, lots of yummy stuff :)
  • Betrbleave
    Betrbleave Posts: 37
    Options
    what's HRM? I would say the calories are pretty acurate, its according to the machine after putting my age and weight.
  • ashleymichaud
    Options
    Heart rate monitor. I've heard from a bunch people on here that the machines aren't actually that accurate. I don't use the machine's monitor, so I'm not sure. If your calories burned are correct though, and you are only eating 1200 calories a day than you are actually netting negative calories which is not so good.
  • Betrbleave
    Options
    ah okay, how much do you think I should net then?
  • ashleymichaud
    Options
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

I've been told this calculator is the most accurate. It will tell you your BMR, which you should not net below. It will also give calorie goals based on your activity level. Also the group Eat more to weigh less has a lot of awesome info if you're interested.
  • red21dog
    red21dog Posts: 10
    Options
    hey its my first time on here but im having the biggest issue with the BMR because the calories that you need to consume are sometime like my are unreachable
  • ashleymichaud
    Options
    I definitely agree that it is hard to reach your BMR some days. I just try to give it a good effort and have some calorie dense snacks on hand. Sometimes I don't quite make it because I'm too full.
  • thilyer
    thilyer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I bought a polar ft4 hrm, and the difference between the hrm and the machines at the gym were really different. The machines show a lot more.
  • Betrbleave
    Options
    why is the calories on this website more than on any other calculator?
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    Wow. Ok so, few things:

1. There's no such thing as "starvation mode". It's a myth. If it were true, then it would be impossible to starve to death.

2. 1200 calories is just an example of the minumum amount of calories a person should eat so that they're body can function properly. It happens to be the minimum that the MFP program is set to but the minimum calories needed is different for every person. If you are a larger person, your minimum is going to be a lot higher than 1200. If you are smaller, it will be lower. A 4'9" person could potentially only need 950 calories per day. So 1200 is only a guideline, not scientific fact.

3. You should NEVER net less than your BMR. If you burn 1000 calories exercising and your body naturally burns 1300 (this is your BMR) but are only eating 1200 calories, that means that you are netting -1100 calories. Your net calories should be at least your BMR. So, if you burn 1000 and your BMR is 1300, that means you need to eat 2300 calories for your body to function properly.
  • Betrbleave
    Options
    Whoa okay. The third paragraph confuses me. how is eating just as much as you lose a day help lose weight?
  • ashleymichaud
    Options
    Because you would still be eating in a deficit if you consider how much you are burning. You really should not be netting a negative amount. That is like not eating at all.
  • To know your accurate allowance amount, I would recommend a metabolic assessment. You can go to www.newleaffitness.com to find a location near you that can assess you.
  • red21dog
    red21dog Posts: 10
    Options
    ok mines is 3202 and that is crazy!!! im 193 and i can only eat about 2000. and do you know why MFP doesn't count weight training as burned calories