HRM

Options
I am looking into getting a Heart Rate Monitor. I hear that are really good.

But I am not sure what brands are better, what features I should be looking for, etc, etc.

What's the scoop on these? Are they as good as they say? If so what should I be shopping for? Or should I be shopping for something else entirely?

Just to let you know, I run 3 times a week, bike another 1-2 and do weights 2 times a week.

Hope you can help.

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Def. need one with a chest strap... the ones that don't have one, are not as accurate.

Also don't want a real cheap one as you get what you pay for when it comes to an HRM.

Personally,I like the Polar brand a lot.. FT4, FT7, FT40 or FT60. Each have different features and do different things.. so if you are looking for just the basics, FT4 or FT7 should suit you fine.. if you want more bells and whistles, and then FT40 or FT60 would be your best bet.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, I love it. Never work out without it!
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options

AGREE!
  • EbAbYgONhArD2013
    Options

^^THIS^^ love mine
  • Jewel1201
    Jewel1201 Posts: 68
    Options

Yep!
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin edge 500, it's predominantly for a bike, however you can run with it. It also has gps which means that you can upload your runs/rides to the your Garmin account and keep track of where you have been.

You have to buy the chest strap separately, it also has a cadence sensor which also can be bought separately. Look around and you will see that they do package all 3 components which works out cheaper than buying the 3 individually.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    polar ft7, I've had it for over 2 years and love it!
  • RubberPenguin
    Options
    I own a Sportline Duo 1060, it comes with a chest strap, and besides giving you hear rate info, it also includes the ability to count your steps, and speed, which is cool if you want to get your 10K steps without having to buy a separate pedometer. But my current HRM is a Polar FT7, I decided to go with Polar for their reputation in accuracy, and ease to use. I also love how easy these watches make it to know how many calories you have burned, no matter how you workout :smile:
  • becca_21
    becca_21 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I own a Sportline Duo 1060, it comes with a chest strap, and besides giving you hear rate info, it also includes the ability to count your steps, and speed, which is cool if you want to get your 10K steps without having to buy a separate pedometer. But my current HRM is a Polar FT7, I decided to go with Polar for their reputation in accuracy, and ease to use. I also love how easy these watches make it to know how many calories you have burned, no matter how you workout :smile:

I just bought a Polar FT7 on Ebay today. It didn't say anything about a chest strap. Should I send it back if it doesn't have one?? I've never used an HRM before, and I didn't really do my research on them before I bought it. (hand to forehead)
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40 and use it daily. I went with this one because I can swim laps with it, as it is waterproof.
  • betsy329
    betsy329 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 and don't believe you can use it without the strap, so if you get yours from Ebay, and it doesn't have the strap, you need to send it back.
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

^^THIS^^ love mine

Was going to write the exact same thing!!! Just telling someone today that I wouldn't workout without it.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 is what I use. It was the best investment ($71.00) I made towards my weight loss journey. I use it everyday for Zumba, Biking, and C25K.
  • kgirlknits
    kgirlknits Posts: 9
    Options
    I've got the Polar FT7, purchased recently, and love it. Very easy to use, reputation for accuaracy, and has everything I need on it (data files, calories expended, HR peak/low) for a reasonable price (appox AU$100-AU$120 depending on where you buy)

and yes, chest strap required - that's what reports your HR back to the watch.
  • Dargealing
    Dargealing Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    look on e-bay. there are plenty out there, but you will get a good price on one there and sometimes the shipping is free. Don't bid, just buy outright. get the polar one that everyone else has suggested
  • pjsmom2010
    pjsmom2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just ordered an FT7 today and I can't wait to get it!!!!
  • VickiG36
    VickiG36 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Do not buy a Sportline one from WalMart $40 wasted.
  • Clarimusic00
    Clarimusic00 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

LOVE MY FT4!!! It really is worth it to know exactly how much you're burning.
  • gnat502
    gnat502 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone 4S (only the 4S, nothing earlier, though it might work with non-iPhones), Wahoo Fitness has a bluetooth HRM that is compatible, and they have an app for it. Also, RunMeter from Abvio is supposed to support it.

http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products/Wahoo-Fitness-Wahoo-Blue-HR-Heart-Rate-Strap-for-iPhone-4S.asp

Personally I have a Polar FT7 and it works quite well for me, though I'm considering buying the Wahoo strap.