I can only do 3 pushups!

Options
Grr, I feel like such a weakling! I can only do 3 real push ups :) Tell me this will improve over time?

Replies

• ldoublem
    ldoublem Posts: 12
    Options
    It will improve over time!
    Just keep at it!

I got so excited when I saw this because I can totally relate to where you are! I started working with a trainer and the first time he had me do pushups I could barely do 3 or 4 and felt horrible! (although my trainer was great and didn't make me feel bad at all!)
    Now I can do over 20 at a time!

It is so exciting to see progress and pushups is definitely an area where I saw a lot of progress!
    You can do it! It's hard now, but totally worth it! So don't worry about only being able to do 3! You can only get better at them from here!

So yes! It will improve!
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That's three more than me......
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Absolutely...keep working hard, build your strength, and be patient. :o]
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It will definitely get better!

I started http://hundredpushups.com/ and could only do 5 in a row. Now I can do 11 in a row, after having done it for 2 weeks. You'll progress in no time as long as you stick with it!
  • azzle07
    azzle07 Posts: 10
    Options
    It will improve! Up until last week, I'd never even done one! I can now do about 4/5! Stick with it and you'll get there!
  • djf23
    djf23 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Grr, I feel like such a weakling! I can only do 3 real push ups :) Tell me this will improve over time?

do bench press with as much as you can do for like 8 reps...it uses quite alot of the same muscles so if you start lifting heavier you will be able to do much more pushups
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Focus more on doing negatives..... where you slowly lower your body to the 'down' position. Then get back up in the "up" position, and repeat your negative. The focus is on the 'down', and not the 'up'.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Focus more on doing negatives..... where you slowly lower your body to the 'down' position. Then get back up in the "up" position, and repeat your negative. The focus is on the 'down', and not the 'up'.

This.

This type of negative training works really well for pullups too.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    you can try this: http://hundredpushups.com/
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You will get better pretty quickly and you should be proud to be doing any at all! I was doing them on my knees when I first started and now I am doing clap push ups and one-legged pushups. I'm actually not sure how many normal pushups I'd be able to do in a row, but I'm guessing 30+.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It does get better and easier. I used to struggle with three and can now do 25 in one go, and the other day completed 100 over the course of the day (25x4). I used to hate doing them because they were so hard and now I really like the challenge!!
  • jessgrey2
    jessgrey2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Interesting I will try this tomorrow!

Thank you everyone for the great tips, you are so sweet :) I'm going to keep working at it!
  • NanoBear
    NanoBear Posts: 67
    Options
    It definitely gets better!
    6 months ago I couldn't do 1 real pushup, and I could only do maybe 5 on my knees.
    I'm still no pushup master, but last night I did 4 sets of 8 at taekwondo training. Absolutely unthinkable last year!
  • jessgrey2
    jessgrey2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It definitely gets better!
    6 months ago I couldn't do 1 real pushup, and I could only do maybe 5 on my knees.
    I'm still no pushup master, but last night I did 4 sets of 8 at taekwondo training. Absolutely unthinkable last year!

Good job Bear! It is a bit humbling this whole process. But so great to have support!
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Here's a nice video for beginners to pushups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S990kHLMVFg
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you have an Android phone, there is actually a push-up app that will test you on day 1, then tailor daily sets of push-ups to get you to your goal of 50 or 100 at once.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Of course it will!

I remember being able to only do them on my knees, then being able to do one or two on my toes, and now I can do 15 in a row :). Just keep at it, it'll build up.

Ive found that holding plank has really helped me, it strengthens up the core which I think people underestimate the use of in push ups for good form.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do any at first! Now I'm doing 50ish a day. Nose to floor, proper form.

Just build it up gradually. It will happen!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I second the hundred pushups. Nice program. :)
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I can't do any proper push ups. And apparently the ones I'm doing on my knees I'm not doing right... *sighs*