Advice on sugar intake from clean eaters.

shorty35565
shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
Please, if you don't eat clean, I really dont want your opinion. No offense at all, but I just don't believe in the 'everything in moderation' thing. Probably because I used to do it & yes, I lost weight. 43lbs but in 7 months. Since I ate so low, not telling how much of tht was fat & how much was muscle. At 138lbs, I'm still pretty flabby in the stomach.
Anyways, I eat yogurt. I don't eat light, because I dont want to consume aspartame. Is 1 yogurt a day still ok? I know it has a lot of sugar, but I wanna kno how much is too much. Like I always go over MFP thing, but is that bad? MFP isn't the best at judging how much u should eat.
i kno yogurt isnt clean & i dont eat complete clean, but i try to eat mostly clean w/ no processed food.

Replies

• maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    you have to figure out what works for you. for me i am a sugaraholic so i try to stay away from it and eat fruits for my sugar and i do use splenda too ..when im cheating of course i use the real deal with cakes cookies ice cream ect... i lost quite a bit of weight but not flabby because i worked out so hard, ate healthier than i ever have and drank a ton of water
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Please, if you don't eat clean, I really dont want your opinion. No offense at all, but I just don't believe in the 'everything in moderation' thing. Probably because I used to do it & yes, I lost weight. 43lbs but in 7 months. Since I ate so low, not telling how much of tht was fat & how much was muscle. At 138lbs, I'm still pretty flabby in the stomach.
    Anyways, I eat yogurt. I don't eat light, because I dont want to consume aspartame. Is 1 yogurt a day still ok? I know it has a lot of sugar, but I wanna kno how much is too much. Like I always go over MFP thing, but is that bad? MFP isn't the best at judging how much u should eat.
    i kno yogurt isnt clean & i dont eat complete clean, but i try to eat mostly clean w/ no processed food.

Doesn't make a difference. A totally "clean" diet vs a diet of both "dirty" and "clean" foods will yield nearly the same results holding cals and macros constant.

So no dairy, oils, frozen veggies and fruits or anything like that in your diet?
  • shorty35565
    you have to figure out what works for you. for me i am a sugaraholic so i try to stay away from it and eat fruits for my sugar and i do use splenda too ..when im cheating of course i use the real deal with cakes cookies ice cream ect... i lost quite a bit of weight but not flabby because i worked out so hard, ate healthier than i ever have and drank a ton of water

I think I've been eating better for ab a month now. And I've been working out hard (turbo fire, 6 days a week) for about 2 mos. I lost 43lbs just eatin low (with crap) & barely exercising. But now I'm doin better, cuz I wanna b healthy. I tend to always go over my sugar. I eat fruit, yogurt, luna bar and vanilla almond milk. I think that's where the majority og my sugar comes from. I only eat one luna bar & yogurt a day. The rest I just pic up a couple grams here and there for other things. I typically go over the sugar thing by 40 something somehow. Drink 8 glasses of water a day. U think tht's ok?
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    I eat zero fat greek yogurt. It has 2 grams of sugar. My sugars are usually low. I just don't eat much of it. Even to the point of rarely eating bananas. The cravings go away after giving it up.
  • Kbritske09
    Kbritske09 Posts: 31 Member
    I find I have the same problem. I love yogurt but the sugars are what kill me. I always go over as well because of all the fruit I eat. I am to the point where I don't want to eat an apple, a banana and yogurt all in the same day because just the apple and banana might put me over. Although today I did lol but I didn't have much food choices today. I don't really have an answer for you but wanted you to know your not the only one who thinks about sugars...I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one too.

And it drives me nuts when people say that it doesn't matter if you eat clean or not. It totally does. I'm not a 100% clean eater but I try my best and do mostly eat clean. But sugars from fruits are definitely not broken down in your body the same as sugars in a candy bar.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    I don't really ever pay much attention to my sugar but do eat clean for the most part. Some days I might have a bar or something but when I don't, I still don't worry about my sugar.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    I eat a mostly vegetarian, whole foods diet. I don't eat sugar, or any sugar replacements except for stevia in my tea. (Well, this is my goal, but I'm not perfect 100% of the time!)

I had the same question about MPF's low sugar restriction. So I looked at some other sources to find out what the recommended daily allotment of sugar should be. Under 40 grams is recommended for the population at large, and this is ADDED sugar - table sugar - not the sugar you find in whole foods. The only advise I could find on sugars from whole foods is that *diabetics* shouldn't eat more than 40 grams per day, as a general rule.

My take on it is this: There are many nutrients that are vital for good health in fruit. God (or nature if you prefer) made these fruits sweet so that we would want to eat them, and gain the benefit of good nutrition. I always use to go over on my sugars on this site, and I thought is was just wrong, so I customized my goals.

If you want to do this, go to "settings" at the top of the page. Once you click "settings" then "goals" will appear. Click "goals" then scroll to the bottom of that page and hit the green button "Change goals." I changed my sugars to 40 grams because I think most nutritionists agree that it's healthy to eat two fruits a day. My doctor actually insists on it. I also modified my fat/protein ratio - but that's for another post.

Good luck and good health!!
  • CynthiasChoice

I think I've been eating better for ab a month now. And I've been working out hard (turbo fire, 6 days a week) for about 2 mos. I lost 43lbs just eatin low (with crap) & barely exercising. But now I'm doin better, cuz I wanna b healthy. I tend to always go over my sugar. I eat fruit, yogurt, luna bar and vanilla almond milk. I think that's where the majority og my sugar comes from. I only eat one luna bar & yogurt a day. The rest I just pic up a couple grams here and there for other things. I typically go over the sugar thing by 40 something somehow. Drink 8 glasses of water a day. U think tht's ok?

Sorry to post twice - but I just saw you are eating "added sugar" in your Luna Bar and Vanilla Almond Milk, and - is your yogurt plain or sweetened? Anyway, I'd add up the things with added sugar and see if you're below 40 grams. :smile:
  • shorty35565
    I find I have the same problem. I love yogurt but the sugars are what kill me. I always go over as well because of all the fruit I eat. I am to the point where I don't want to eat an apple, a banana and yogurt all in the same day because just the apple and banana might put me over. Although today I did lol but I didn't have much food choices today. I don't really have an answer for you but wanted you to know your not the only one who thinks about sugars...I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one too.

And it drives me nuts when people say that it doesn't matter if you eat clean or not. It totally does. I'm not a 100% clean eater but I try my best and do mostly eat clean. But sugars from fruits are definitely not broken down in your body the same as sugars in a candy bar.

I'm really picky. Take away my yogurt & fruit & I dont have much else left to snack on. I need all that, cuz I have to eat sorta high. It's frustrating lol. Girl, it does me too! Besides, I'm in this not just 2 lose weight but to be healthy & tht junk certainly isn't healthy! No if their definition of moderation is like eat it once in a blue moon, then I ok with tht. Just not every day or every night. I try my best as well & I think I do ok too. I don't eat candy (except when I was upset monday, I had 3 oreos 4 the 1st time in 4ever lol) and stuff like tht. Right, I think sugars from fruit are ok.
  • shorty35565
    I eat a mostly vegetarian, whole foods diet. I don't eat sugar, or any sugar replacements except for stevia in my tea. (Well, this is my goal, but I'm not perfect 100% of the time!)

I had the same question about MPF's low sugar restriction. So I looked at some other sources to find out what the recommended daily allotment of sugar should be. Under 40 grams is recommended for the population at large, and this is ADDED sugar - table sugar - not the sugar you find in whole foods. The only advise I could find on sugars from whole foods is that *diabetics* shouldn't eat more than 40 grams per day, as a general rule.

My take on it is this: There are many nutrients that are vital for good health in fruit. God (or nature if you prefer) made these fruits sweet so that we would want to eat them, and gain the benefit of good nutrition. I always use to go over on my sugars on this site, and I thought is was just wrong, so I customized my goals.

If you want to do this, go to "settings" at the top of the page. Once you click "settings" then "goals" will appear. Click "goals" then scroll to the bottom of that page and hit the green button "Change goals." I changed my sugars to 40 grams because I think most nutritionists agree that it's healthy to eat two fruits a day. My doctor actually insists on it. I also modified my fat/protein ratio - but that's for another post.

Good luck and good health!!

So basically the sugar in fruits don't count against u? Like only in yogurt & other stuff like tht? I eat 1.5-2 bananas a day, so I guess tht's good :D
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    If you get rid of the added sugars you wont want them. Plain yogurt with added fruit will be sweet enough.
    Larabar vs Lunabar
    Plain almond vs Vanilla almond milk.

We ate clean for a little over a year and don't now... but I still maintain that if I'm going to eat something sweet it's going to be sweet. .... not a regular food that magically has just as much sugar as a brownie. I'd rather have a nasty monster cupcake than a bowl of "healthy" cereal and a yogurt that contain the same amount of ridiculousness.
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    I had to cut sugar out altogether for a while. If that is what you're trying to do then only have 2 serves of fruit in a day, if this is in your yoghurt then that's it. Also don't eat fruit with or directly after meat or proper meals as it ferments in your stomach due to fruit taking 15mins to digest and meat etc taking at least 30mins. I don't use artificial sugar as I believe there are enough chemicals around without consuming unnecessary ones. It's hard and on about the 10th day after cutting out sugar I crashed and slept for 10 hours.
  • CynthiasChoice
    For me, I would eat fruit all day, but I'm 52 and have diabetes in the family, so I limit myself to two or three. I wish I could tell you what the right amount of fruit is for you...but I would definitely choose fruit over anything with added sugar. If you need to add snack calories, you might try avocado, olives, seeds, nuts or raw nut butters. I feel so much better when I'm eating good fats.
  • shorty35565
    For me, I would eat fruit all day, but I'm 52 and have diabetes in the family, so I limit myself to two or three. I wish I could tell you what the right amount of fruit is for you...but I would definitely choose fruit over anything with added sugar. If you need to add snack calories, you might try avocado, olives, seeds, nuts or raw nut butters. I feel so much better when I'm eating good fats.

I eat natural pb with my bananas!!! Diabetes run on both sides of my family, which is part of the reason I'm concerned. Another reason why I came to eat better & lose weight. I believe u can beat out a lot of diseases this way. The luna bar and yogurt are my major probs. Yogurt has an insane amount of sugar. Wondering if I should just cut it out. Doesn't seem worth it. I have to really b in the mood for raw nuts. I have almonds & i barely touch them lol
  • lollaler
    lollaler Posts: 69 Member
    I eat zero fat greek yogurt. It has 2 grams of sugar. My sugars are usually low. I just don't eat much of it. Even to the point of rarely eating bananas. The cravings go away after giving it up.

do they really ?? i find it so hard to cut out and keep craving so im guessing if i go cold turky i will benefit. ??
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    I eat pretty clean. Once in awhile, I'll splurge and eat something like an ice cream (I think I had 1/2 serving in the last couple months), but I try to eat only sugars from natural foods (ie: fruits).

That being said, I no longer eat yogurt...too much sugar added. It's insane amounts. I have read that a lot of people eating clean have moved to plain or greek yogurts and eating it with fruit (the real kind...not the canned) helps with the taste. For me, I just don't like it plain. HA. I opted to just let it go...and surprisingly, I don't miss it. Being that I used to eat one a day for a long time, that's weird. Then, again, what is the MOST weird is that I hardly eat bread anymore - that is even MORE weird. HA.

For those of you wondering, I get calcium from unsweetened almond milk now. I don't like the taste of that plain, either, so I generally blend it with a banana and some strawberries - all fresh.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    oh...and I should mention that the cravings are there at first, but once you can kick it, you hardly miss it. This is coming from someone who ate 1/2 loaf of french bread in one sitting. Not a french roll - a loaf. I loved eating it. Now...meh. Doesn't taste as awesome as it used to to me.

For some reason, I now crave spinach, cabbage, and mushrooms. If I don't eat some of this at least every other day, my body is CRAVING it.

Weird...but in a good way. :)

I think our bodies crave what it is used to. If you can get past the hard cravings in the beginning, I think you'll find you won't crave the yogurt. I have it in the house cuz other people still eat it...but oddly enough, I don't crave it. And if I do succumb to temptation, it never satisfies me. I'm always like, "meh...not so awesome."

Oh...except that cappucino its it ice cream I had the other night...but that one half of it did the job and the craving is gone.
  • Sasanna
    Sasanna Posts: 55 Member
    What's " clean " eating?
  • LittleLightShine
    LittleLightShine Posts: 123 Member
    I switched from 2% Fage yogurt to lowfat cottage cheese with fresh blueberries to lower my sugar intake and reduce sugar cravings. When I first started MFP and decided to reduce sugar and sodium, I was shocked to see the sugar content in nonfat/lowfat Yoplait yogurt, which I had considered a "healthy" choice! I've personally found that eating clean and eliminating as much sugar as possible reduces cravings and I feel great. Watching my sugar intake (try to stay 30-40g) has made a huge difference in feeling satisfied and eliminating cravings for foods that contain sugar/fat/salt that make me fall off the wagon. But this means, for now, any kind of sugar including fruit. A sugar molecule is a sugar molecule. Additionally, I now NEVER eat artifical sweetners. That just works for me. It took about 30 days but now I don't "crave" sweets. When I eat sweets now (because there will always be a birthday party or a homemade chocolate chip cookie!), I feel like it's easier to just have a bite or small portion. The 60 Minutes interview about sugar is enlightening if you haven't seen it.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    What's " clean " eating?

I was wondering the same thing...
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    What's " clean " eating?

I guess a general way of looking at it is... No processed food.

Lean meats, raw things (fruits, veggies, nuts, etc.), eggs, fish, brown rice, and so forth.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member

Doesn't make a difference. A totally "clean" diet vs a diet of both "dirty" and "clean" foods will yield nearly the same results holding cals and macros constant.

So no dairy, oils, frozen veggies and fruits or anything like that in your diet?

Does this apply solely to weight loss or to muscle gain as well?
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    I don't see why yogurt isn't clean-- I know lots of clean eaters who eat piles of greek yogurt. Yogurt in and of itself is fine, watch the added sugars.
  • Sasanna
    Sasanna Posts: 55 Member
    Thanks!!
  • vthetigercat
    vthetigercat Posts: 35 Member
    I eat clean overall, but this thread made me feel very guilty about eating a chocolate chip cookie today, and the Clif Bar products I've been eating lately, lol!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Does this apply solely to weight loss or to muscle gain as well?

Both
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Hopefully this will help clarify things a little:

This is an example of NOT clean eating:
    SuperStock_1472R-64994.jpg

... and this IS clean eating:
    eating-banana.jpg

Hope that helps! :wink:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    I don't see why yogurt isn't clean-- I know lots of clean eaters who eat piles of greek yogurt. Yogurt in and of itself is fine, watch the added sugars.

because not all yogurt is the same
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member

Yeah, i was thinking that too - are people perhaps getting their "clean" and "paleo" confused?