I can only do 3 pushups!

Options

Replies

• Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I started out not being able to do any. P90 is taking care of that problem. You will do many more. Just stick with it. Good luck
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    do three every night before you get into bed,i guarantee by the end of two weeks you'll be able to do at least 5.
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Stick with it... about a month ago i couldn't do one and this morning i did 10! Just keep going at it you'll get it :-) x
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I can only do 1 so you're doing better than me!
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    That's three more than me......

:laugh: I just came in to post that! I just lie there like a beached whale when I try. Just keep building up your fitness, we'll get there.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    Grr, I feel like such a weakling! I can only do 3 real push ups :) Tell me this will improve over time?

do bench press with as much as you can do for like 8 reps...it uses quite alot of the same muscles so if you start lifting heavier you will be able to do much more pushups

I DON'T HAVE A WEIGHT BENCH
    CAN I USE MY COFFEE TABLE TO DO BENCH PRESSES ???
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    LOL it gets easier. When I started 30 day shred I could barely do 3, by the end of the first week, could do 10, week 2, 15 etc. It's all about building that strength!
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I PRATICE AT WORK IN THE BATHROOM BY DOING WALL PUSHUPS
    TRYING TO BUILD STRENGTH...
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely terrible at them too. For past 10 weeks been doing them twice a week at Karate. Have got fitter and I think stronger overall, lost 15 lbs and yet don't seem to be making any noticeable inroads in doing push ups - in my youth I remember when I trained the amount of pushups I could do would improve rapidly, now in my early 40s it seems to be taking a whole lot longer. I think I'll give that hundred pushups site a try also as it's beginning to get to me also my lack of improvement in them.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Been doing Jillian MIchaels dvds since february last year and started doing them on my knees which was totattly fine. Then january this year I realized it was just to easy and there was no way for me getting away from stepping up my game so I started doing them on my feet and could only do five in the first set, maybe 3 in the second. Now im up to 12 in both sets on my good wellrested days.

Just hang in there and set goals for your self. What I did was set goals for how many I wanted to do i the first and second set since I knew I didnt have the strength to do the same amount in both. Also I tried to avoid going back down on the knees in the second set even though the second set would only end up beeing mayb 3 pushups.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    ditto
  • GemaG
    GemaG Posts: 142
    Options

And me!!! Cant do any!!! I just fall on my face :laugh:
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options
    Grr, I feel like such a weakling! I can only do 3 real push ups :) Tell me this will improve over time?

Seriously don't fret about it. I have arthritis in my hands and wrists (the joys of 30 years of bookkeeping), doing a push up on the floor is a killer. I found that doing it against a wall or on my gym ball cushions it a lot and I can try it. I use hand weights instead of push ups.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Of course it will get better, I do between 50 and 100 every morning. When I first started back training I was struggling to do 5 in a row, can do 25 now but usually stick to sets of 15 before moving onto something else.

Keep at it.

A :)
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    LOL it gets easier. When I started 30 day shred I could barely do 3, by the end of the first week, could do 10, week 2, 15 etc. It's all about building that strength!
    Exactly! Now they are one of the favorite parts of my exercise routine.
  • jessgrey2
    jessgrey2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your advice and tips! xo
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Try doing them on an incline using your stairs. First time keep your feet at floor level and your body up the stairs. Then once you can do 15, move your feet out, and come down a step, and so on, so that you gradually get closer to floor level.

Once you get down to the floor and can do them ok , turn around and put your feet on the stairs , this time going UP one stair at a time.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    that is amazeballz!! i cant even do,:flowerforyou: one!
  • ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    When I first started doing p90x I had to do girly push-ups..If your familar with the work out the first dvd is all push up and pull ups. Now starting Phase 3 I can rock out ALL man push ups and EVEN DID MY FIRST PULL UP THIS WEEK!!! Stay with it! Youll get it!
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    two more than me :(