What do you consider "Clean Eating" ?

Options
ChrisGoldn
ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
What do you consider "Clean Eating" ??

Discussion among friends had us talking about what we considered what was clean eating and each had some different views.
I'm sure this has been discussed among the boards a few times in the past. So you 1000's + posters Be kind. Alot of new people on the boards now. Besides it could possibly be that what you considered clean then may have changed to gained knowledge on Nutrition.

Please try and keep it focused on the Discussion and not bash people on thier point of views. This is meant to help educate people not bash them.

Replies

• violetfrosts
    Options
    Clean eating for me just means eating natural food. It really just helps me pick healthy choices- fruit, vegetables, lean sources of protein and whole-grains. I try not to get too obsessive about it and still eat processed foods everyday in moderation.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    to me, clean eating is eating foods that haven't been overly processed, recognizable to those a few generations ahead of us. However, I feel that breads and pastas can be a part of clean eating as long as they are made without the added chemicals/processed ingredients found in most store bought bread.

It's my goal to eventually get to a completely clean diet, but i know that will take time that I haven't learned to manage yet.
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Eating natural/whole/unprocessed foods. I avoid most things that come in a box or bag, but I do use egg whites from a carton, whey protein powder, store-bought nut milks, and the occasional Boca burger.
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    Not eating anything that doesn't come in its own package (in general). We of course have to make exceptions for things like yogurt and milk, etc.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would say eating less processed food and trying to eat healthier, so more fruit and veg, lean protein and complex carbs like brown rice and wholegrains
  • MariarR33
    MariarR33 Posts: 69
    Options
    Clean eating to me means eating mostly foods that are fresh. If it can go bad within 2 weeks or so, I would say it's clean. Also, foods with few ingrediants in it. ANything in there that you can't pronounce is probably not clean.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    What it means to most people is probably eating mostly whole, minimally processed foods. To me, clean eating is not a very quantifiable concept as the meaning can vary.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Unprocessed (nothing from a box) Limited ingredients, organic when possible.

NO GMO!
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    to me.. eating more fresh foods.. less process foods.
  • MereExtraordinaire
    MereExtraordinaire Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is on basically a similar page here. To me, when I hear "clean eating", I think of just eating a diet with very few processed foods. As someone said before, this probably includes a few things like bread and pasta, but things like processed cereals and such seems to be not included.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Eating, primarily, natural whole foods; meat, fruit, vegetables, dairy, nuts, grains.

I don't believe it's necessary to completely avoid man-made foods however. Chocolate and Bread should be a part of any healthy diet :P
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    A need to see a disease-free recent STD test.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    To me it means foods that have been washed and haven't been on the floor for more than five seconds.
  • AmyB_1992
    AmyB_1992 Posts: 32
    Options
    For me it's eating 250 calories or under in each meal and having up to 3 snacks under 100 calories each.

14886390.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I say I'm "eating clean" I have to follow these rules. No oil, no dairy, fat free soy milk is ok, wheetbix are ok, light tuna in water is ok, vegetables are ok as long as they're steamed, no sugar, no carbohydrates except wheetbix, no bananas, no sauces that are oil basssed, no potatoes, no meat except light tuna, no nuts, no sweet potato and definately no processed food. Although I'll admit I do not think this is by any means the definition of clean eating.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Whole clean food - organic and grass fed if possible...

Things that are made up of whole clean food would also fall under this catagory so some "processed" foods i would consider clean - it is basically looking at the label - if there are ingrediants you couldn't purchase as a whole food in a store and make it yourself...then it's not really clean...so things like bread and pastas and cereals - depending on how they are made and what extra ingrediants they have (especially boxed or canned) they could be clean or they could be total crap

That being said i would surmise very few people eat totally clean - there are people out there but it is very hard to do on a consistant basis - I would say I eat about 90% clean and it can be quite difficult at some times, simply for convience sake with working , family, keeping up a house, etc...
  • epcorne
    epcorne Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ingredients I can pronounce :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    For me it's eating 250 calories or under in each meal and having up to 3 snacks under 100 calories each.

that has nothing to do with clean eating. I call that starving.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    For me clean eating would include any organic vegetables, lean meats and fruit. Yeah i have a boring diet. shoot me for it LOL
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    To me clean eating is washing it before I put it in my mouth.