12 hr shifts and workouts

Options
2»

Replies

• AmyB_1992
    AmyB_1992 Posts: 32
    Options
    If I'm doing 12 hour shifts (7:30am - 8:30pm) I don't work out because I'm too tired and I just don't have time, sometimes though, my job is a work out in itself! haha (I'm a care assistant)

14886390.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    Why is it the less you do the less you want to do? :ohwell:

EXACTLY! so hard to "get back on the horse!" for the past 6 weeks I haven't logged as consistently, haven't worked out as consistently and it's like I'm 2 people - the smart one and the fat one. the smart one says, "get up, work out, don't eat that" but the fat one keeps saying, "oh you've been doing so well just let yourself have this one thing. and sleep in once in awhile."

the fat one is secretly trying to kill me.

I must kill her first!

btw - working 4 10.5 hr days this summer - I am NOT a morning person and this is going to be really hard for me to do. I know it's no where near as bad as 12s but if I had to do that I'm pretty sure I'd gain at least 100 lbs! I only have to do it for 7 weeks so I'm hoping that working out hard 3 days and then getting at least one workout in on the "long" day will be ok.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Be flexible!! What might work today may not tomorrow. I take advantage of what every few mins I have. Some days it's a morning work out before my son wakes up. Some days it's a evening workout after my son is in bed. Somedays I don't get my workouts in but, it's okay because there is always tomorrow.

Weekends I try do something with him...take him for walks, play out side (running around & laughing) or a workout video (I lay a mat out for him and he rolls around and copies me). My son is one years old so depending on your kids ages some things maybe be harder or easier. I can't wait until he is older and we are able to going on family hikes :smile:
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    your days off all the hard work gets done 2 hour sessions in gym ,but with kids it hard .i have a 3 year old and turn going for a walk with her into work out .2 or 3 miles pushing a buggy will break a sweat
    if your family is older its up to them to help around the house to give u time
  • suerun11
    suerun11 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Too tell the truth more times then not I just can't:( 12 hours shift 2-3 hour round trip drive and a family...something has to give...:(
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Too tell the truth more times then not I just can't:( 12 hours shift 2-3 hour round trip drive and a family...something has to give...:(

But your health and well being shouldn't be what gives. I work 2 jobs, 2 kids, we baby site another, Kids play sports and have church. We are always on the move. But some how me and my wife find the time to hit the gym or do a workout of some sort.
  • suerun11
    suerun11 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

But your health and well being shouldn't be what gives. I work 2 jobs, 2 kids, we baby site another, Kids play sports and have church. We are always on the move. But some how me and my wife find the time to hit the gym or do a workout of some sort.

I agree with you. I guess I should of included on the 4 days off I have a week I run, lift weights, play on a soccer team or do insanity. My first day of work I sneak in a workout...its the other two days I generally do not. I have to get up at 4am to get to work and do not get home until after 8pm the days I work By the time showers and dinner is over then a quick visit with the kids I need to sleep. But yes, I completely agree my health (and everyone on here) is very important. Thank you for some tuff love.