Metabolism boosting ideas anyone?

Options
Hi, I have an under active thyroid but my doc wont do anything about it as its not under active enough...:huh:

However... Im on a mission to loose weight but could do with a heads up of some ideas on metabolism boosting foods? Whether or not its will help is another matter, but I can at least try!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The best way to boost your energy expenditure would be through exercise and non exercise activity (moving more during the day).

As far as food items, the effect is minimal (some people will post things like cayenne pepper and other silliness). Consuming a higher percentage of protein will help a little bit as that macronutrient has a slightly higher thermic effect, and protein has other benefits -- but beyond that I'd just say increase your activity and monitor your total intake and you'll be fine.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    The best way to boost your energy expenditure would be through exercise and non exercise activity (moving more during the day).

As far as food items, the effect is minimal (some people will post things like cayenne pepper and other silliness). Consuming a higher percentage of protein will help a little bit as that macronutrient has a slightly higher thermic effect, and protein has other benefits -- but beyond that I'd just say increase your activity and monitor your total intake and you'll be fine.

Agreed.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    No single food can raise metabolism! (Sorry Dr. Oz and all you natural food/home remedy junk scientists out there)
    Focus on increasing your body temperature through exercise and eating (it doesn't matter what, all calories have a thermic effect)
    Yes, protein has a slightly higher thermic effect than other macros
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Increasing muscle mass will raise your metabolism, albeit ever so slightly.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Yes, protein has a slightly higher thermic effect than other macros

And so that my post isn't misleading, the difference in thermic effect isn't going to be a substantial total expenditure difference unless you're going from a very protein deficient diet to a very protein-rich diet. In that situation you might actually make a noticeable difference, but shifting 30-50g isn't going to be that profound of an effect.

I only wanted to mention it because unlike drinking grapefruit juice and hot sauce, TEF is a real effect. =)
  • Ericafitcoach
    Ericafitcoach Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just bought Jillian Michaels Book, Master your metabolism...She tells you what foods are good for thyroid etc.....and other hormones..It's really good
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've always believed things like green tea and chilli can boost metabolism. Like them both so they are in my diet anyway, but at least I can now stop sprinkling chilli on my cereal :wink:

Seriously, though, thanks for the posts, they make sense and help people make the right choices, love MFP and it's members for that!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

QFT
  • tooboogaloodoo
    Options
    See? just goes to show you cant believe everything you see on TV!

Thanks for taking the time to give the advice guys, muchly appreciated! :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Try to do every thing you can physically. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park further away. Return your grocery cart to the front of the store. Hand wash your car instead of taking it to a car wash. There are so many options.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Eat and get Moving!
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Do this every morning or as often as you can. It will increase you metabolism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zItYF3Q_ZCk&NR=1
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    This is what has worked for me (some of these are not scientifically acknowledged but they worked for me)

1) eat small meals throughout the day rather than big meals (this is the one that as per research doesn't make a difference and that eating big meals is the same but for me this method works better)

2) workout. Keep moving as much as possible. If you can stand rather than sit, stand. If you can walk rather than stand, then walk. If you can run rather than walk, then run.

3) Add strength training to your workouts. I saw much better results when I was ligting weights (even if they were small weights)

4) Apple Cider vinegar. Again, as per scientific research it doesn't make a difference but for me it did and I highly recommend you try it out to see if it'll work for you.

Hope some of these help you out. Good luck :)
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am not an advocate of medIcations, but if you tell your doc you are going to start tyring to conceive he will medicate you even if you are on the cusp. I take synthroid for an underactive thyroid and wouldn't be medicated if not TTC.

Weight loss has become much harder than in the past even while on the medication- so I guess it would be even harder if not on it.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if this is a myth or not....BUT I have always heard that eating a healthy breakfast helps jump start your metabolism. People who skip breakfast have slower metabolism. Whether it is true or not IDK, but in my mind it makes sense. Eat early and get the body moving!
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I saw a green tea recipe on Dr Oz, when I was drinking it, I was having better losses, but ran out of the mint leaves. I highly recommend it, and it tastes great, too!

Dr. Oz’s Tangerine Weight-Orade Recipe… For a powerful metabolism-boosting drink, try Dr. Oz’s Tangerine Weight-Orade. It contains: green tea, shown to boost metabolism 12% by drinking just one cup; tangerine, with a chemical composition that increases sensitivity to insulin and stimulates genes that help to burn fat; and mint, a calorie-free flavor enhancer. In a large pitcher, combine: 8 cups of brewed green tea / 1 tangerine, sliced / A handful of mint leaves / Stir this delicious concoction up at night so all the flavors fuse together. Drink 1 pitcher daily for maximum metabolism-boosting results.
  • hskorija
    hskorija Posts: 13
    Options
    Try to drink a healthy amount of ice water daily. Your body has to heat the water in order to digest it. Also, if you drink ice water before a meal it seems to make one less hungry. Good Luck.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have an under active thyroid but my doc wont do anything about it as its not under active enough...:huh:

However... Im on a mission to loose weight but could do with a heads up of some ideas on metabolism boosting foods? Whether or not its will help is another matter, but I can at least try!

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am sort of in the same boat. My thyroid is under active, but barely apparently. I'm not currently taking Synthroid, but am going to see my doc about it. However, some research I've done shows that an iodine deficiency can be linked to under active thyroid. Here are some foods that are a good source of iodine. (Taken from www.thyroid.org)

Common Sources of Dietary Iodine

Cheese
    Cows milk
    Eggs
    Frozen Yogurt
    Ice Cream
    Iodine-containing multivitamins
    Iodized table salt
    Saltwater fish
    Seaweed (including kelp, dulce, nori)
    Shellfish
    Soy milk
    Soy sauce
    Yogurt
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I tried everything under the sun that was recommended by Dr. Oz, Oprah, and anyone who offered advice. BEST advice is what others have said: Just move and watch what you are putting in your mouth at all times. Lifting and protein help, as does high intensity interval training. I'm a big fan of bodyrock.tv. Don't believe the gimmicks or waste your money. There are foods that are beneficial to your overall health, but there's not one magic weight loss food. Just keep moving and don't get discouraged :)
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    You can also seek out natural treatments for an underactive thyroid. There is one that is actually called thyroid. My husband was on synthroid for over 20 years and switched and feels much better is less tired etc.