Stomping on the Treadmill

Options
Hi! I recently starting running. I usually run outside in my neighborhood (2 mile loop). However, when I cannot find time to exercise at home, I try to get a run in at the gym downstairs during work hours. Here is my issue with running on a treadmill: I feel very wobbly and I feel AND sound like I am stomping! It is so loud and my feet feel crazy heavy. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if this is just the nature of the beast...Thanks! :)

Replies

• jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    That is the reason that I can not run on a Treadmill, I feel like I sound like and elephant when running. But I don't know if it is just the way that I am running or if it is suppose to sound like that.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    Me too...and I always feel as if I am going to trip over my own feet.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Could be your shoes if you feel wobbly and might be worth consulting a shoe expert. I know it sounds wierd, but most nicer shoes stores that cater to runners offer this service for free and may be able to steer you how to change your running style to make it the most efficient. The 'heavy' sound you hear is probably the treadmill, not you. Usually the treadmill has been used a lot and lost some of the padding/support is now gone.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This is why I never used my treadmill in my upstairs apartment, so the people below wouldnt think the world was ending. lol. I just throw in headphones at the gym and forget about it, all the other people make noise too (machines beeping, grunting/breathing).
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I'm walking across a tile floor in certain kind of shoes my steps are loud. But not on the treadmill.

Is it is a sturdy, well-made treadmill with adequate cushioning?
    Are you wearing proper shoes?
    Are you using proper form?

I looked at your profile and you have only 20 pounds to lose, so it can't be weight.

That's all I can think of. Maybe you could ask someone in the gym to watch you. Some running shoe stores have treadmills so salespeople can analyze the customer's running style and better recommend shoes.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    This is why I wear headphones when using the treadmill (or even outside). If I can hear myself at all - stepping, stomping, breathing - it distracts me.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of stompers, no big deal. Don't worry about and don't think about it, no one else in the gym is.
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I can have this issue sometimes. Usually when I leave the treadmill in it's lowered position. If I put it at an incline, I run better.

Also, are you making sure to hit the balls of your feet first? You can injury yourself by not running properly. Especially on a treadmill.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of stompers, no big deal. Don't worry about and don't think about it, no one else in the gym is.
    IDK about that...heavy stompers bug me - especially when I can hear it over my headphones and I even once saw a girl trying to help someone be "less stompy" when running...

It might just be your running form though. Like someone else said, maybe try to make sure to hit the balls of your feet first?
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! The treadmill literally shakes when I start running. I really notice my water bottle jiggling. As soon as it happens I try to step down "lighter." This usually helps me. I'm probably subconsciously readjusting my gait, but I think of it as being lighter on my feet.

It's interesting about landing on the balls of your feet first. I really think I run heel to toe but I'm at work now so I can't try it out yet. Maybe I'll sneak out at lunch and run a little to see what my foot position is.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    Second the above suggestion. Flat treadmills don't simulate real running that well. When you're really running, your centre of gravity is further forwards, putting more weight on the balls of your feet when you come down. Incline the treadmill up to about 13% and you'll better simulate running on flat ground.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Second the above suggestion. Flat treadmills don't simulate real running that well. When you're really running, your centre of gravity is further forwards, putting more weight on the balls of your feet when you come down. Incline the treadmill up to about 13% and you'll better simulate running on flat ground.
    huh? 13% if far from seeming like flat ground.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    how fast are you running?
  • AprilPayne24
    Options
    5.0 usually. Maybe 5.5 if I am feeling brave. :) These suggestions are fantastic, thank you. I am going to pay much more attention to what part of my foot I am landing on.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I stay off the treadmill, I am an elyptica l(w/moving arms) kind of girl, less impact on your ankles and burns more calories, and I was in absolute pain when I used the treadmill- it was so wierd, and I mean like not the good burn but pain for 4 days and I power walk and elyptical 3 days a week, it is absolutly not like walking or running outside. If you feel that your wobbely and about to fall and such, I would switch, last thing you want to do is injur yourself. Some peoples feet-no matter what shoes are just not cut out for the treadmill and thats ok.
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    After a while the stomping sound sorta helps me zone out until I'm done.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I'm walking across a tile floor in certain kind of shoes my steps are loud. But not on the treadmill.

I looked at your profile and you have only 20 pounds to lose, so it can't be weight.

That's all I can think of. Maybe you could ask someone in the gym to watch you. Some running shoe stores have treadmills so salespeople can analyze the customer's running style and better recommend shoes.

I agree, could it be your form? I notice some people in the gym stomping away REALLY loudly when they run, and they're usually heel striking really hard...not the best for your joints. Try landing more on your midfoot, if possible, and visit a running store that can properly assess your gait and shoe needs.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

^ this
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If it is your own treadmill and not in a gym...

Every now and then run barefoot on it and try to run quiet when you do. Incidentally that will force you into really good running form (if you are a heel striker you will realize the error of your ways very fast). When you run with shoes on, try to run the exact same way. Running barefoot is basically like having a built-in coach.

Gyms aren't really cool with it, but if it is your own treadmill, shoes are pretty unnecessary. Treadmills typically have a pretty soft deck (esp relative to concrete) and good surface to land on (no need to worry about rocks or glass or whatnot). You won't be able to run as fast (at first), and if you are a heel striker it will need to be in moderation at first as your arches and calves just flat out aren't strong enough to handle barefoot running very long. But they will get stronger over time and you'll see HUGE benefits when you put the shoes on.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    huh? 13% if far from seeming like flat ground.

Maybe 3%? 13% is like climbing a super steep hill on a treadmill, most of them only go up to 15%...I have to hold on to the railings just to walk up an incline that steep!