Body Fat Percentage %

Options
I am currently at 22% body fat. Eating about 1,400 - 1,500 calories per day and going to the gym 5x per week. The scale hasn't moved in a while (even though I would like it too) but I am trying not to look at the number on the scale (it says 150 lbs). Instead, I am focusing on decreaseing my body fat percentage. Curious how I compare nad if anyone else has plateaued like this...

Replies

• raebear79
    raebear79 Posts: 17
    Options
    I can totally relate. I do weights and cardio but the scale doesnt seem to move. I know I have been gaining muscle but I am really wanting to loose body fat as well. I want to be able to see the muscle definition in my body..I want my hard work to show. I really watch my diet but I cant seem to loose the layer of fat around my body. I am consantly looking for ways to shed the fat but still have had no luck. I was thinking about taking a fat burner but not sure about what to take and if it is safe?????
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Same problem here, so bumping.

My body fat percentage looks great though so I know it is all muscle causing the scale to stall - but I am about ready for some action on the scale now.
  • DerDude
    DerDude Posts: 170
    Options
    Hmmm, normally the bodyfat for women between 20 and 24 should not be lower than that.
    Maybe you need a little more muscles? What are you doing for exercise?
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am at a plateau. I think I either have to eat at a deficit (currently I am eating at maintenance) or increase the weight that I am lifting? I am not sure exactly.

ETA: I meant I am at a plateau with losing body fat or changes in my physique. I had been the same weight since forever, but my body changed when I starting bodyrock this January.
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, and currently weighing around 133, with a BF% of 21.6. The scale stopped moving for me when I started concentrating on strength more than cardio. So I stopped using it seriously. I do weigh myself, but don't really care what the numbers say. I now use the mirror and a tape to decided if I'm progressing.

I would however like to cute down to about a 19-20%, but not sure if I have the commitment to do so. The less fat your body has to lose, the harder it is to lose it.
  • DerDude
    Options
    @qtiekiki: lift harder if you want more muscles and be toned more. You are very slim so if you don´t it wouldnt look that good.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @qtiekiki: lift harder if you want more muscles and be toned more. You are very slim so if you don´t it wouldnt look that good.

I am in the process of increasing the weights that I am lifting. I will probably need to do bulk and cut cycles to gain muscle mass, but I think I'll wait until the summer is over to bulk.
  • DerDude
    Options
    Thats ok but you shouldnt do more cuts :) Your abs are very nice and getting better by just workout hard. But you have to look that your arms and legs don´t get to skinny. So if you wouldn´t increase weights that much, maybe increase your reps a bit.
  • hwells828
    hwells828 Posts: 14
    Options
    Usually, 30-45 Minutes of Cardio 4x per week and Strength Training (small weights, kettle balls or a total body sculpting class) for 30 minutes to 1 hour 2x per week. I don't know about building more muscle, I would like to be more LEAN and for my overall frame to shrink...
  • hwells828
    Options
    Heather - That's is exactly what I want, to get in the 19%-20% body fat percentage range. I think this takes a lot of dedication so I am working on making small changes for the long term! What a committment though...

I feel like my legs are very muscular (I am curvy with muscular thighs) and would hate for those to get any bigger. Would like to see more ab definition though!

Thanks everyone for all your feedback! This community board is AWESOME.
  • DerDude
    Options
    @hwells: you need a little more muscles
    Your exercises are all cardio less or more....you should try to work the things out harder you wanne have sculptured.
    This happens because of the physique of a muscle. So you may have them but cant see them :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, normally the bodyfat for women between 20 and 24 should not be lower than that.
    Maybe you need a little more muscles? What are you doing for exercise?

Not true. Female athletes typically have a bf% around 15%. I'd like to get down to 18% myself, although I'm not sure my body type would allow for that.

Anyway, 22% IS a great bf%, but if you're looking to lower that and get leaner, lots of protein and lots of weight lifting. Since you don't have a ton of fat to lose, take it easy on the cardio and lift those weights. And don't worry about the scale...measure yourself and keep an eye on your bf%--those are the REAL measures of progress :)
  • DerDude
    Options
    Female, professional athletes, sure. But not the whole year and by doing 4 to 8 hrs training a day :)
  • Heather2784
    Options
    Heather - That's is exactly what I want, to get in the 19%-20% body fat percentage range. I think this takes a lot of dedication so I am working on making small changes for the long term! What a committment though...

I feel like my legs are very muscular (I am curvy with muscular thighs) and would hate for those to get any bigger. Would like to see more ab definition though!

Thanks everyone for all your feedback! This community board is AWESOME.

That's what I'm doing. Small changes. Slow and steady. Just taking my time. I think the only way to really get it done quicker is by carb cutting. And I'm just not into that. I LOVE my fruits and veges and it's just not for me.

And I know all about muscular thighs. Mine are measuring at about 22.25 inches right now. I definitely do not want them bigger. As it is right now they're out of proportion with my body. Finding jeans is ridiculous. Lol. So I feel your pain!

We seem in similar places. Gonna send you a request :smile:
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    How do you guys measure your body fat? Did you buy those calibrator thingies?
  • hwells828
    Options
    Exactly. I think mine was like, $20 on Amazon but I love it. Just use it when you dont have food or a lot of water in you, so first thing n the AM is best.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    What brand? I want to get one. I don't NEED to know my body fat %, but I'm curious.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I would however like to cute down to about a 19-20%, but not sure if I have the commitment to do so. The less fat your body has to lose, the harder it is to lose it.
    [/quote]

Okay I am going to answer with another question. So i can FEEL the muscles in my triceps and abs, etc but this layer of fat is still covering it. I mean HOW do i do it? Im only 7 lbs from being at my ideal weight and 5% from my ideal BF but it seems like way more than that, especially in the waist. SO do women have to be un the "excellent to risky" BF % for that muscle to start revealing itself?? If we are both in the low 20's and still have a layer, thats what I'm starting to believe. And like you, I dunno if i can really commit to something that I might not be able to maintain.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Okay I am going to answer with another question. So i can FEEL the muscles in my triceps and abs, etc but this layer of fat is still covering it. I mean HOW do i do it? Im only 7 lbs from being at my ideal weight and 5% from my ideal BF but it seems like way more than that, especially in the waist. SO do women have to be un the "excellent to risky" BF % for that muscle to start revealing itself?? If we are both in the low 20's and still have a layer, thats what I'm starting to believe. And like you, I dunno if i can really commit to something that I might not be able to maintain.

Visual changes when it comes to seeing muscle happen rapidly in the last few BF%.

Man/women are a little different, however I didn't see hardly any changes at all from about 19% to 13%, then at 12% where I started getting good detail in my abs, and each % thereafter (9% now) there were huge changes.
  • Heather2784
    Options

[/quote]

Same here. Can totally feel I have some pretty good muscle going on UNDER this layer of fat :grumble: The only way for that muscle to show is to get rid of the fat on top of it. That's it. No going around it. From everything I've read, to be able to start to see that muscle in your abs you need to be getting down around around a 16-17% BFP. I wouldn't say that that is risky or unhealthy though, unless you were planning on trying for pregnancy. But, it takes super commitment. to stay there. Even body builders have to cut before competitions because they can't stay at the competitive percentage.