This question is *really* for the ladies

Options

Replies

• AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    This is me at this very second. But I have an IUD. So I only have mild bloat and get lazy. I always work out when its my "TOM", but I can never seem to get up to clean!

AHhhhhhhhhhhh
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    OMG and whatever you do, do not step on that scale! I bloat so much that I want to throw my scale from the weight gain!!! Fat, ugly, bloated, *****y and mean. That is me on PMS. Push through! We are here for you! Maybe take it easy and just go for a long mellow walk, but keep moving!
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    TOM itself doesn't usually effect me, for me it's the entire week before. I get some serious anger issues, and I tend to hold my anger in and take it out on myself. If I let all that anger out towards the people around me, my family would need counseling every month to deal with me. So when I'm angry I'll stuff myself with food until it hurts, then call myself names for being so weak. Starting to think maybe I should get the counseling every month to deal with me...
  • Beamll
    Beamll Posts: 28
    Options
    I used to be this way just a few months ago for about three years. Had been really bad for almost a year until my husband had a talk with me about he and the kids being afraid to even look at me. So I did some research and started taking additional vitamins. What a difference it has been for me. I have way more energy, no more moodiness and the craving are slight now. Talk to your dr about testing you for vitamin deficiency. I know the biggest one is low iron. I take extra just before TOM shows.
  • spectra0412
    spectra0412 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've found that going low carb for a few days before the cravings hit make it less likely that I'll have any trouble at all in that particular area. In terms of exercise, I have low energy for the first two days so I just make sure I walk at least and avoid stressing about it. As others have said, it's only a few days of the month and if you have to modify your plan of attack in that time frame, then so be it. I've not found it to be detrimental to my ongoing weight loss progress! Keep up the good work. You can do it!!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with taking things easy for a couple of days a month if your body is telling you you need it. I don't crave sugar but do need all my calories then and need around 20% extra sleep.
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    I always have at least one serious fatigue day before it begins where I can barely get out of bed. It's like having narcolepsy and trying to recover from stomach flu at the same time... so yes.
  • JConstine
    JConstine Posts: 69
    Options
    I have less energy but can usually ride the bike for a little. Riding also temporarily relieves my pain.

I just realized that I was upset about weight gain but I am on my period as we speak. I'm so stupid...I bet when it's over, I will realize that I've been upset over nothing.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    1. take an iron pill for energy to compensate for all the blood loss and possible mild anemia
    2. up your calories because
    a. your BMR is higher (usually around 8-12% higher than normal) (more if you commonly have a fever during your period)
    b. undernourishing yourself during such a hormonal time can cause your moods to get even wackier
    3. eat healthy sources of fat to help your body repair itself quicker
    4. add an extra hour of sleep to those days
    5. workout to flood your body with the good drugs, the endorphines and testosterone that make you happy and motivated

DONT WAIT FOR MOTIVATION. YOU DONT NEED IT EVERYTIME.

Its waiting 6 minutes into your workout.

If you're cramping, do something low impact. Just dont let your period brain make excuses. Get mad at it and explain that this is your body's business, not your brain's.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I definitely have less energy, and I pretty much want to eat everything in sight. If the cramps are bad enough, I may rearrange my schedule to have a rest day fall on day 1 or 2 of TOM. But, Most of the time I just push on through.
  • Luvli220
    Luvli220 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm joining this club! I feel like my cravings (especially for sweets and cheeseburgers) are just mind bending. I agree with some of the other ladies who were making the point that you have to go hard sometimes and push yourself through. Another option is to find a balance - if you give into a craving but don't have the energy for a full workout, maybe just go for a walk (and not to the bakery :) )
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't work out on day 1, or sometimes day 2 if it's really that bad. "But exercise makes it feel better!" does not apply to me. I've tried.

Don't fight yourself. If it really feels bad to exercise, then don't. If you feel incredibly unmotivated, then resolve to use these couple of days as "maintenance days", just eat to maintain your current weight and don't worry about losing weight. You can get back on track when you feel better.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    If I have cramps that are excessive I will take it easy. I do not take meds, as I just don't need them. The cramps are gone pretty quickly anyway. But if it happens to be a day I'm lifting weights, I just play it by ear... if I can I can, If not... oh well. I do it the day after. No biggie.

I am NOT one of those who must fight through it. It's just not necessary. Listen to your body, but don't make excuses.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yup! totally get that feeling..........I have found backing off on sodium helps, and just pushing through that work out. I'm doing Insanity too, so I sooooo hate Shaun T for a few days!!! I do find that I at least feel better if I work out. You got up and pushed play, next time just promise yourself 5 more minutes...just 5 more minutes.......Thank God this only happens once a month otherwise I would NEVER get out of bed, EVER!
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I always have at least one serious fatigue day before it begins where I can barely get out of bed. It's like having narcolepsy and trying to recover from stomach flu at the same time... so yes.

LOL, I sooo get this! I feel the exact same, like I can just fall over and sleep wherever..... I also run a low grade temp and body aches...
  • sensationallysassyt
    Options
    I feel thee exact same way!!!!!! I just wanna cuddle up with a heating pad and a good tv marathon~}}}...That's my plan for this weekend~
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    geez, lol my bad, I forgot that women chasing the cotton mouse only want to hear what they want to hear.

sorry about the real info.

Eat whatever you want and go back to bed!!!
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I've been on track calorie-wise, but I've had no motivation to workout at all. This morning I got up at 6am to workout, but instead I laid in bed for an hour thinking about how I should go workout. I just felt very blah and unmotivated. Glad Im not alone!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Rest, your body needs it. No harm in trying to exercise but if you are drained to some easy enjoyable exercise like walking. It only lasts a day or two for me and then I return engergized.
    Music help if you need to push through it. but is 2-3 days a month of rest going to de-rail you?
  • Eireann15
    Eireann15 Posts: 124
    Options
    Definitely... I am always so low energy and have such a hard time motivating myself... I also always feel famished, which certainly doesn't help with the food aspect of things. It's terrible. I just try to push through and remember that giving into those things (not working out, eating bad foods) will actually just make me feel worse!