How intense the exercise before we log it?

Options
2»

Replies

• iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I saw a posting for a calorie burn that said 'Sitting, 5 hours. 400 calories burned''. I kid you not. I thought we were supposed to eat back our calories from strenuous activities. So if I don't work out that day, I only eat 1350 cals. I thought that sitting and other everyday activities was already included in our TDEE...

Am I right or wrong?

PMSL ridiculous for sure!!

When anybody logs "sitting" as exercise and then eats back those calories, I would wager why they wondered they could not shift their excess weight.

Personally, I only count activity I actually set out to do as exercise, including when I cycle to and from work (40 mins worth) - because I do have a car but cycle for the exercise itself some days.

I strongly believe that the post in questioning is mine. First I would like to state that I'm offended that anyone would judge what I log. I would not comment about anything I disagree with. Mind your own business, and keep your comments to yourself. My weight shift didn't take place until I did start logging extras to break my plateau. I work out regularly and I'm a very strong individual. What happened to a support system here? Jessum.

LOL so sensitive. Stop playing victim. I didn't 'out' you, I was asking do we count things I assumed were included in BMR.
  • iva001
    Options
    I logged my office work, not because I consider it a workout, but because even while sitting I burn calories. Believe me, people comment all the time about my logging my work hours. If I eat my recommended amount of food, two things happen. One, I see no results (plateau). And second, I'm hungry ALL of the time. I have found if I add my work hours, I am satisfied and the pounds come off. I still work out six days a week, and they are high intensity workouts. I also walk my dogs two miles regularly as well. Please do not judge it until you find out the reasoning behind it. :drinker:

I don't think she was judging, but rather, trying to understand how things work.

Thank YOU!!!!
  • iva001
    Options
    'WE' are not the Borg. Think for yourself. Log your exercise as you see fit and let the results speak for themselves and nevermind what other people log. :noway:

Then what's the point of having our diaries open to each other? I thought it was to get useful feedback. I have asked people to give me feedback on my diary before.

I don't understand why people are offended. I didn't name names. If you log sitting and sleeping, just explain why. I thought it was already included in our BMR and activity level.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You ASKED people for feedback and they gave it to you presumably. If people don't ask, keep quiet. Nobody needs to explain anything to you or anybody else either... but ask a question and if they want to answer, they will.

I don't see that the poster you're referring to is 'playing victim'; you were pointed in your post. Perhaps think a little more about what you write and how you write it if a dig is not intended.
  • iva001
    Options
    You ASKED people for feedback and they gave it to you presumably. If people don't ask, keep quiet. Nobody needs to explain anything to you or anybody else either... but ask a question and if they want to answer, they will.

I don't see that the poster you're referring to is 'playing victim'; you were pointed in your post. Perhaps think a little more about what you write and how you write it if a dig is not intended.

Your post makes no sense... If people don't ask, keep quiet?? what?? I clearly asked a question...its the title of the topic. So if your not answering the question, what are you adding to this conversation?
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I was referring to your post where you say that you've asked for feedback on your diary. That was obvious, I thought, but nevermind.

The title of your thread wasn't an issue but the sneery 'You've got to be kidding' was. For some people, their weight is a sensitive issue and logging, whatever they log, is something they have to work at. You were sneering, not asking.

I'll post where and, within reason, what I like, thank you. Your validation and approval is not required. Feel free to carry on adding 'insight' yourself, of course.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I logged my office work, not because I consider it a workout, but because even while sitting I burn calories. Believe me, people comment all the time about my logging my work hours. If I eat my recommended amount of food, two things happen. One, I see no results (plateau). And second, I'm hungry ALL of the time. I have found if I add my work hours, I am satisfied and the pounds come off. I still work out six days a week, and they are high intensity workouts. I also walk my dogs two miles regularly as well. Please do not judge it until you find out the reasoning behind it. :drinker:

Hi,

I'm not judging it, I'm questioning it. I thought that everyday movements were included in BMR (I mistakenly said TDEE in my original post). Please don't be offended. I was just surprised to see people logging sitting.
    You were right about TDEE, and wrong when you changed to BMR... BMR is the amount of calories you'd burn in a coma - ie: no movement at all. TDEE = BMR + all activity.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I saw a posting for a calorie burn that said 'Sitting, 5 hours. 400 calories burned''. I kid you not. I thought we were supposed to eat back our calories from strenuous activities. So if I don't work out that day, I only eat 1350 cals. I thought that sitting and other everyday activities was already included in our TDEE...

Am I right or wrong?

When anybody logs "sitting" as exercise and then eats back those calories, I would wager why they wondered they could not shift their excess weight.

Personally, I only count activity I actually set out to do as exercise, including when I cycle to and from work (40 mins worth) - because I do have a car but cycle for the exercise itself some days.

I strongly believe that the post in questioning is mine. First I would like to state that I'm offended that anyone would judge what I log. I would not comment about anything I disagree with. Mind your own business, and keep your comments to yourself. My weight shift didn't take place until I did start logging extras to break my plateau. I work out regularly and I'm a very strong individual. What happened to a support system here? Jessum.

You consider sitting down as exercising???? Jessum.

I didn't know it was you, now however, I do as does everybody else.

Sitting down is NOT exercise, moving about is exercise, that does not happen whilst sitting. End of.

BTW support is not just saying "well done", "WTG" or "Fantastic job" support is also kicking somebody's *kitten* to get them to do their utmost- sitting on your butt and logging that is not in that category.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I only count purposeful, fitness-related exercise as "exercise". Everything else is included in my TDEE (BMR x activity factor).
  • michelle_00
    michelle_00 Posts: 38
    Options
    LOL I don't log anything that I think might be included in my calories MFP already gives me. That certainly includes sitting. I've seen people log showering, cooking, etc. But I think MFP counts those already..... I log walks and stuff that typically "counts" as exercise. Sometimes I have to move about 20 boxes full of paper around from car to cart to office and I will log a few minutes for that too.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I just burned 10 calories reading, re-reading, and laughing out loud at work.....not sure if I'm going to log it yet......stay tuned \m/
  • iva001
    Options

Hi,

I'm not judging it, I'm questioning it. I thought that everyday movements were included in BMR (I mistakenly said TDEE in my original post). Please don't be offended. I was just surprised to see people logging sitting.
    You were right about TDEE, and wrong when you changed to BMR... BMR is the amount of calories you'd burn in a coma - ie: no movement at all. TDEE = BMR + all activity.

Yeah I was getting confused...I just learned about them a few weeks ago. Thanks.
  • iva001
    Options
    LOL I don't log anything that I think might be included in my calories MFP already gives me. That certainly includes sitting. I've seen people log showering, cooking, etc. But I think MFP counts those already..... I log walks and stuff that typically "counts" as exercise. Sometimes I have to move about 20 boxes full of paper around from car to cart to office and I will log a few minutes for that too.

Yes, I wasn't sure in the beginning, but the more I read this thread, I think counting sitting, sleeping etc will be double-counting whats included in the TDEE. How do you determine how much you burn doing non-exercise activities such as moving boxes?
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Am I right or wrong?

You consider sitting down as exercising???? Jessum.

I didn't know it was you, now however, I do as does everybody else.

Sitting down is NOT exercise, moving about is exercise, that does not happen whilst sitting. End of.

BTW support is not just saying "well done", "WTG" or "Fantastic job" support is also kicking somebody's *kitten* to get them to do their utmost- sitting on your butt and logging that is not in that category.
    perfect answer ,some time you need a kick in the *kitten* more than a pat on the back .if all people are going to do is congratulate you but never question you then this site wont work .i'd rather be pushed when im slacking .than praised for nothing
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I just burned 10 calories reading, re-reading, and laughing out loud at work.....not sure if I'm going to log it yet......stay tuned \m/
    bahhahahahaha
    10 cals laughing
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    How do you determine how much you burn doing non-exercise activities such as moving boxes?
    Wear a reliable Heart Rate Monitor. That's the only exercise I really log. (That or estimates from RunKeeper if I go for a run or walk or hike and have my phone with me, but not my HRM).

I would go crazy if I had to track all of my non-purposeful exercise. This is why I set my own calorie goal to a custom number, rather than use MFP's crazy-aggressive goals that would cause me to under-eat and constantly feel sick and weak and hungry.
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I could probably see it if they were sitting on one of those giant balls and exercising through the day using it while working. I think a Heart monitor would be more capable of telling you how many calories were burned than using mfp. I don't always think I burned the amount of calories it's telling me.
  • teacherbarb
    teacherbarb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Am I right or wrong?

I totally agree with you. This should be a support system and not a knock them down and criticize others posts system.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    People log sitting? Oh my gosh, I don't care how harsh you think I am, that is just plain silly. There is no sense in really stating my case, though--it either has already been done and/or will accomplish nothing.