List your favorites from Aldi here!

Options

Replies

• Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I have never shopped at one because I was told the food they sell is about to expire or has expired already, is that true?

No. In fact most of there stuff is the same as name brand just packaged under a Aldi name. (per a show I saw about Aldi). I shop there twice a month. Get alot of great stuff. Buy most of my can goods there, produce, all our milk, bread, And my families junk food. (not mine anymore :noway: )

There stuff has use by dates on it just like everywhere else. And it does depend on how good your store is about moving the old out. My store is really good. But I always check the dates esp since at one Nation wide major chain I more then once got stuff that was very out dated. Made me so mad to cause once they came to our town they drove out the other grocery stores and I loved the products the old stores sold. But this other one moved in and with in 3 months the old stores were closed. Then the new one started slipping. Since then no matter where I am I check the dates.
  • bashmir
    bashmir Posts: 43
    Options
    I was wondering because I shop at a budget and any savings is good. I never went in one because I was told their food was expired. I will try to check one out, thank for the advice.
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love the fit and active brand from Aldi's! The rice cakes (cheddar is my favorite), the salad dressings, 'lean pocket' type things, everything. I don't buy my fruits/veggies there, because I've noticed they're not near as fresh at ours. I do buy my eggs and bread/english muffins/bagels there though because the prices are so low! I also buy tuna and frozen stuff there too. The prices are awesome. I usually just buy staple foods here, then go somewhere else for the rest of my shopping.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    The produce quality is variable -- but since I can't afford to buy fruit anywhere else I buy it anyway and just eat it up quickly.

I recently got strawberries for 99c/lb.

I always buy milk and eggs there.

They put their weekly flier in our student newspaper so I go up when something I want is on sale. It's made it actually possible for me to get some fruit/veg into my diet without busting the bank.
  • LizzieBruen24
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the wonderful suggestions! I've made a nice long list of things to try!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    they do bags of frozen tilaipa filets, salmon filets, and even shrimp that are ridiculously cheap compared to a regulat grocery store. Seafood is so healthy, and if you love it like I do aldi is your friend.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I too went to a local Aldi's for the first time last week. Their restaurant style tortilla chips (Clancy's) and the salsa (Grandessa's) are AWESOME!

I will be buying a lot more stuff there for sure with the prices they have.
  • Dawn3218
    Dawn3218 Posts: 80
    Options
    I like most things from Aldi especially their no-fat natural yoghurt - it's so creamy!! The main thing I like about Aldi (apart from their prices) is the shops are relatively small compared with the likes of Asda, Tesco etc so I can zoom round and get my weekly shop in half an hour. When I shop at a large store I feel like Ive wasted most of the day in there and the endless aisles do my head in as I cant find half the things I want.

Go Aldi!! :smile:
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I found wheat hamburger and hotdog buns there yesterday for 49 cents per pack (8 per pack!) I also bought 40 heavy duty paper plates and 50 plastic solo-style cups for $2.99 each. My Memorial Day party is set and I saved over $10 just on buns.

I always buy there kitchen bags ($4.99 for 100) and ziplocs ($1.19 for 100) there because the prices are even better than at Walmart. The produce is hit or miss but when it's good and fresh, the prices cannot be beat (39 cents for 3 zucchinis yesterday.) The one near me also carries oriental vegetable and sauce mixes that are delicious and low cal. MIlk is $1.88 a gallon here and eggs are 99 cents. I haven't had any issues with any dairy products from them. Great place to buy condiments, pickles, jalapenos, rice, beans, chicken boullion, etc...

Some things I have tried and not liked are few and far between. The tilapia tasted like it had been frozen and thawed and refrozen too many times (maybe a bad batch since others like it.) After the recent recalls I am careful about where I buy meat from and I never buy fresh or frozen meat (pork tenderloin for $2.69 lb looked really good ot me yesterday and I almost caved.)
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I used to shop there and Save-A-Lot but now the closest of either of them are a good 20 mins away (with no traffic lol) so it's overall cheaper for me to go to wal-mart/food-lion. But I really loved their version of crystal light (can't remember the name) and they always had really good deals on meat, chicken pork etc...Also the veggies/fruit were cheaper but the same quality as other places. It is a good place to shop and really helps save money.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have been to the Aldi just down the road from my house and they seem to have fantastic deals! I will probably be going there tomorrow after work to get some grocery shopping done for the weekend!
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    frozen asparagus

pork tenderloins

last week i found a beef tenderloin for around $5.00
    fit and active mint ice cream sandwich

string cheese
    pork chops are good
    a bag of mixed frozen fruit for about $4.00, great for smoothies

there is a vegtable lasangna around 350 calories that is very good
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Pretty much their whole line of Fit & Active is very yummy! :love:
  • suomigrrl
    suomigrrl Posts: 1
    Options
    Good news and bad: Aldi is GREAT for fresh dairy, fruits, veggies, frozen seafood, and that wide range of non-food seasons stuff they get in (i.e., plants, outdoor furniture, toys, cake decor).

BUT...most of their canned, processed, boxed, and even fresh meat/deli foods are high in salt, sugar, fats (the hydrogenated ones), and calories - the reason why your grocery bill is less is because they use cheaper (read: less healthy) ingredients. Be sure to read your labels, even on frozen foods you wouldn't imagine would have additional ingredients.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I don't do the grocery shopping, I still live at home so my Mom does the grocery shopping, but she goes to Aldi quite often now, never used to, but they have some decent prices.

I like the Village Bakery Wholemeal bread. Each slice contains about 5g of protein. So for a sandwich, that adds 10g of protein, unless you like to stack more slices of bread.
  • osucristinamo
    Options
    I LOVE Aldi!

When the produce is good, it's really good. You can always tell easily what isn't good though, so it's not like you're going to be surprised when you cut into something. I just picked up the best pineapple on my last trip.

I love the frozen seafood, a large bag of tilapia for like, $5 and they always have Flounder too.
    I always find ground turkey and sometimes ground chicken.
    Can't beat the price on the fresh chicken breasts and I prefer them over Kroger brand. Sometimes they require a little extra trimming, but I'm totally ok with that.
    I stray away from the breads/cereals because they often come laden with additives.
    Always go for canned beans/refried beans.
    Cheeses are great, and a wide variety.

Also, Aldi's parent company is Trader Joe's I heard, and I've often found organic items as well as brand name items.
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Love Aldi's! There's this big stigma abut Aldi's because it's "where the poor people shop." Phooey. I can get Kefir for 2.59 there, fage yogurt, almond milk, frozen fruits and veggies, and stir fry mix (frozen veggies with a little sauce packet) for ultra cheap. They often have good produce too, but I can find a larger variety at my local mid-level grocery store. Their frozen seafood is also really good too, and fresh chicken as well. And the company that owns Trader Joe's also owns Aldi's, actually. So to those who say "I only go to Trader Joe's, Aldi's is for poor people" I always say "You know the same company owns both? It's just that there are five Aldi's here in akron, and only one Trader Joe's all the way in Cleveland!" The look on their faces is priceless.
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Everything Fit and Active is pretty good. I LOVE getting my produce from there. It's cheap and they have a double guarantee...if you don't like the product they'll replace it AND give you your money back, though I've never had to do this. I also get the 1 pound package of frozen ground turkey for $1.49. Everything is inexpensive and good quality.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to Aldi's but in the flyers, the fruit and veggies always seem so cheap. Can anyone please weigh in on the quality of the produce? Thanks!

The quality is great and prices are awesome!!
  • cks3d1
    cks3d1 Posts: 39
    Options
    String Cheese is the best you will find from any grocery store.
    Also love the prepackaged guacamole. When in a time crunch, this is the best tasting prepared guac you will find.

I used to work there as an assistant buyer, a lot of great quality stuff!