Favorite Ground Turkey Recipes....

Options
ericarae33
ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
I have ground turkey in the fridge for dinner, but not sure what to do with it...I've made spaghetti and meatloaf with it before and stuffed peppers, but wanting something else....thoughts?

Replies

• vickystrand1
    vickystrand1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Taco salad/meat?
    I have a recipe for a cheeseburger salad (not as guilty as it sounds...) I promise.
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It's great in chili too
  • atauds
    atauds Posts: 41
    Options
    Chili
    Pasta (whole wheat kind)
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    household fave on our side is turkey meatloaf. i start with the recipe from skinny taste http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/turkey-meatloaf-45.html and pump up the seasoning a LOT. i do two different version. one with garlic, spaghetti sauce (instead of ketchup), oregano and such for italian flavors and one with sambal (instead of ketchup), soy sauce, ginger and garlic for an asian taste. i usually make both at the same time and slice and freeze for the future since the baking time is so long. i have also had success doubling the recipe.

HUGE hit with my husband.
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    a lasagna? (using squash instead of pasta?)
  • dawna560
    dawna560 Posts: 1
    Options
    How about chili? or taco's?
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I make turkey burgers and cook on my foreman grill....I add box of thawed chopped spinach, 1 egg, craisins or fresh cranberries, chopped walnuts, some chopped granny smith apple if I have it, 1/3 cup of finely ground dry oatmeal.....mix it all together and make patties. Usally you can make at least 6. I serve on a sandwich thin with some wholeberry cranberry sauce mixed with mayo.

I also use it to make taco salad added the ortega taco spices to the turkey. I just put it on a bunch of chopped romaine, add some cherry tomatoes and some shredded low fat mexican blend cheese
  • litelight
    litelight Posts: 53
    Options
    lean & green taco salad!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I fry the turkey with onions garlic, jalapenos, cumin powder and bell pepper with black pepper and salt.. IT is YUMMAY!!:heart::drinker: i eat it with salad greens with some cheddar cheese on top. :love:
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Feta and Sun Dried tomato Meatloaf.... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/turkey-meatloaf-with-feta-and-sun-dried-tomatoes-recipe/index.html
    It is a favorite of everyone I make it for.
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey for everything. tacos, lasagna, meatloaf, meatballs, burgers, chili, soup. I just made a mexican lasagna for work using ground turkey and chicken instead of ground beef, cut up tortilla shells instead of lasagna noodles, salsa instead of marinara. Everyone loved it. There are several variations of recipes for it online.
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti or Sheppard's Pie.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    we also do asian lettuce wraps. i add in a whole package of mushrooms chopped super fine and fry it with all the asian ingredients in the kitchen. soy, sambal, rice vinegar, fish sauce, ginger and garlic. wrap in bib lettuce. top with julienne carrots and cucumbers.
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Or Turkey Burgers.
  • MalibuBeth
    MalibuBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    picadillo served with maybe some rice? super easy!

*brown rice or quinoa
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey for everything! My favorite is any variation on a one-pan dish: Ground Turkey, chopped onion and Garlic, pick a vegetable, pick a starch. Add seasonings to direct the flavors. Some of my family's favorites:

Add Mexican seasonings and create burritos.
    Add Green Pepper and Petite Diced Tomatoes with Rice. Italian or Mexican seasonings.
    Add Corn, Peas, Carrots, Potatoes or any combination, with Chicken Stock Kind of like a hash.
    Add Black Beans, Red Red Beans, Lentils, Brown Rice (or pick a few), Diced Tomatoes and spices with a bit more heat
    Ground Turkey makes a great Wendy's Style chili.
    Add Green Peppers and Rice for inside out Stuffed Pepper.
    Add Spinach, Rice and Feta Cheese. Another hash?
    Add Black Beans, Corn and Salsa and serve with a few crumbled Tortilla Chips.

See a theme? Lol - I just add whatever vegetables I have on hand and pick a starch and create a one-pan dish using whichever seasonings I feel are appropriate with the veg/starch I've chosen.
  • sdhd
    sdhd Posts: 13
    Options
    Recipe: Turkey and Vegetable Chili
    Ingredients
    1 Tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
    1 Pound Lean Ground Turkey, preferably organic
    1/2 Pound Parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    2 Cups Bite-Sized Cauliflower Florets
    2 Carrots, peeled and chopped
    1/2 Medium Onion, chopped
    2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
    1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
    4 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
    1 (14.5-ounce can) Diced Tomatoes
    2-1/2 – 3 Cups Water
    4 Cups Chopped Kale, stems removed
    Sea Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
    Chopped Fresh Parsley, for garnish (optional)
    Instructions
    1. Heat the olive oil in the bottom of a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
    2. Add the turkey and cook, breaking up with a utensil, until no longer pink.
    3. Add the parsnips, cauliflower, carrots, and onion. Cook covered, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes.
    4. Add the chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Stir for 1 minute.
    5. Add the tomatoes and water. Bring the chili to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
    6. Stir in the kale and cook for 2-3 minutes to wilt.
    7. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    8. Garnish bowls of the chili with parsley, if using.
    Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
    Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
    Diet type: Dairy free, Egg free, Gluten free, Nut free, Peanut free, Soy free, Wheat free, Sugar free
    Number of servings (yield): 4 to 6
    Much easier than it looks and delicious!!!
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    All of this sounds amazing!!! Now I just have to pick one : ) Thanks guys!
  • vivjay67
    vivjay67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've just seen this recipe and as it happens i've got turkey mince in the fridge that i was going to make turkey burgers with for tea tonight but decided on chicken stirfry instead. I needed something to do with the turkey mince so have made it tonight and it's chilling in the fridge ready to go in the oven when i get home tomorrow. Think i'll have home made potato wedges with it - frylight and fajita seasoning makes them lovely!!

household fave on our side is turkey meatloaf. i start with the recipe from skinny taste http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/turkey-meatloaf-45.html and pump up the seasoning a LOT. i do two different version. one with garlic, spaghetti sauce (instead of ketchup), oregano and such for italian flavors and one with sambal (instead of ketchup), soy sauce, ginger and garlic for an asian taste. i usually make both at the same time and slice and freeze for the future since the baking time is so long. i have also had success doubling the recipe.

HUGE hit with my husband.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I modified this turkey meatloaf recipe from Food Network to make it gluten free and a little less cals and the balsamic glaze made it sooooo good! I'm sure you can tweak it as you'd like, but I would definitely use the glaze. It was YUMMY!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/vegetable-meatloaf-with-balsamic-glaze-recipe/index.html