Runners: Pre and Post Run Meals?

Options
I'm just starting to get into running. Right now, I'm unemployed so I run in the mornings, but once I start working again I'll be running in the evenings. I'm curious to hear from both morning and evening runners what you recommend eating before and after your run. Like I said, I'm still fairly new to running so I need all the help I can get! :)

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal most morning before a run and occasionally a bagel with butter. If I am running in the evening, I'll eat a granola bar or something similar about an hour before I run and then dinner afterward. If it's late evening, I'll just wait a couple hours past the mean and run, no matter what I ate.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal most morning before a run and occasionally a bagel with butter. If I am running in the evening, I'll eat a granola bar or something similar about an hour before I run and then dinner afterward. If it's late evening, I'll just wait a couple hours past the mean and run, no matter what I ate.

This word for word-except the bagel part.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything during my early morning runs. For the evening, I try to avoid those runs as much as possible.

After the morning run, depending on how long the run is, I generally just eat oatmeal with raisins. If it is a long run, then I will add in a orange juice/banana mixture
  • Alexc2012
    Alexc2012 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi ... If you're running in the morning, always fuel your body. Oatmeal is a great idea.... My favorite thing to have is a slice of whole wheat bread with a tablespoon of peanut butter or a banana.... with a cup of juice or coffee. Just try not eating too much or your stomach might cramp :wink: ... Good luck!
  • kleverkira
    kleverkira Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    During the weekdays, I don't eat before my morning runs. As long as you're running an hour or less, you'll be fine. Then I have my normal breakfast after my run (green smoothie, egg & veggie sausage on an english muffin, or oatmeal). For my weekend long runs, I'll eat a banana with some peanut butter and then a big breakfast after.

For the evening, I try not to eat anything after 3-4 pm if I'm running in the afternoon/evening. It's the fastest way for me to get side cramps. Really, you just need to figure out what works for you.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Most of my runs are after work, so lunch is my last real meal. I usually have an apple in the mid afternoon.
    When I do my long runs on weekends, I wake up & go, no eating. Even for runs up to 20 miles.
  • TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I've been eating oatmeal in the morning prior to my runs, which it sounds like a lot of you recommend. Glad to know I was doing something right. ;)