Failure stories for a change!

Options
Anyone willing to share their failure stories for a change? the success stories are great but honestly, is there no one out there who has flopped on MFP, given up or just can't can't get started? You can't all be perfect and lost hundreds of kilos!!

Replies

• czysunkissedbabe
    czysunkissedbabe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Talking about failures often brings negative. If I told you mine .. you could say oh well she did it and lost so why can't I? We talk about success because positive brings positive. :) You will reach you goal.. just always say I will and I can :)
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The real failures aren't on MFP or even trying anymore. those of us who still ahe weightloss as goal and haven't acheived it YET, are still here trying.

Denise (who's started and quit dieting more times than shoudl be legal)
  • Smilejoelle1
    Smilejoelle1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Denise. I started off great only to quit and gain 15 lbs. in a month and a half.

Don't give up!! Everyday's a new day to prove you have the power within you to do this!
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Nobody's perfect...but what would be the point of a "failure" story?
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I f ucked up royally at Christmas and gained like 15 lbs lack of exercise and logging crap and just well being a lazy *kitten* really.

but im back and kicking *kitten* now
  • iroze
    iroze Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that I've quit Weight Watchers after 5 months of constantly feeling like I was starving and resenting the hell out of all the fruits and veggies that had zero point values to them. It seemed like I would always be munching on a carrot / apple / lettuce leaf and thinking to myself, "I could be eating a burger right now, but I'm not. I could be losing weight, but I'm not because I'm always eating. This food is supposed to be healthy, but I hate it". It wasn't helping at all. So I've stopped it and come here. As you can see by my sig, it's working out rather better :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My biggest failure story: Getting sucked into MFP all day and not accomplishing anything. Crap...that happened again today :tongue:
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    My biggest failure story: Getting sucked into MFP all day and not accomplishing anything. Crap...that happened again today :tongue:

hahahaha meeeeeeee too
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Denise is on the money. I "took a break" a while back and gained around 40 lbs (now thankfully gone, along with some more). Quitting doesn't get any of us where we want to be.
  • kristybenner
    kristybenner Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    my first gain was last month. i gained 4 pounds and i was like f it!! but i still ate well and realized i changed alot of bad habbits and actually prefer to eat better things. After a few days of poor me i got re motivated and am back on track ready to kick *kitten*!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Everyone who is on here won't necessarily have a failure story...I would call it more of a 'set back' story. Everyone has something that has made them feel like a failure at some point. That being said, these people are all still here. They are all still trying. That makes them all successes in my book.

There are lots of days I feel like a failure... Weeks where I gained a pound instead of losing....

However, what makes it a success story is that I keep trying! No matter how many times I may 'fail' or take a step backwards I am still trying...and that is all that matters.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

This happens to me too.. ahhh...
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I finally reached my goal weight after battling to get there for two years. Then I got sick and had to have my gallbladder out and gained 17 pounds, didn't work out for 6 months and lost so much muscle. That's my failure... my success is I joined this and working to get back to my goal weight.
  • lolcatftw
    lolcatftw Posts: 36
    Options
    I'll say that before MFP, I deluded myself into thinking I was eating healthy for years. After all, I rarely eat out, I never eat fast food, I eat mostly vegetarian and my GF and I cook ALL of our own meals. That means I didn't have to contend w/ processed foods and fast food--and that I knew every food source that I was eating. This led to a very slow net gain of five pounds or so every year, for the past 4-5 years. So slow in fact, that never realized it until stepping in front of the mirror and being honest with myself.

What I learned from MFP was portion control--the idea of eating food to reach a daily energy (kcal) and overall nutritional goal. I now find it a foreign concept that I used to eat a half-wok of stir fry, or half skillet of carne asada, or an entire half of a pork tenderloin, etc. Everyone has various failures and success stories, but MFP (and the MFP community) provide so many individual tools and resources for a healthy lifestyle that if you stick with it--I mean REALLY stick with it (5 Cal piece of gum? LOG IT! A couple leaves of spinach on your sandwich? LOG IT!)--you can't help but succeed.
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Well, kind of a succes/failure/success story. lol

I joined while back, at my heaviest around 250'ish with goals of getting back to weight/shape while I was playing volleyball in college pre injuries. In conjunction with MFP (but didn't add any friends so just used as tracking) and a little competition at work (5% challenge) I got down to about 207 and joined a gym. I somewhat got back into my old habbits, got busy with work, home and injuries so got out of habbit going to gym and put on about 15 of those pounds before I decided enough is enough and my knee is not an excuse. Started coming back to MFP and logging, but this time around I have added friends for accountibility, encouragement and support along with cancelling my gym membership and working out from home (which in my circumstances is a good thing). Since then (around 1 month) i have lost 3 lbs, but am probably in better physical shape than I was at 207, and coming closer to my goals of being in the shape I was.
  • lrforge
    lrforge Posts: 17
    Options
    I have been on MFP for awhile and have never really lost any weight, however MFP stays in the back of my mind. I will stay off for a few days, not counting etc., but I do come back to it. I jsut have to make my mind up to do it and stick with it. I do make more of an effort to try stay on track, especially lately - upped my exercise, etc. and I read the sucess stories enough too for more motivation :)
  • shanchamber
    shanchamber Posts: 29
    Options
    It seems like a good way to fail is to measure your success solely in numbers. I find the arguments recently made by Gretchen Reynolds in The First 20 Minutes (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/the-surprising-shortcut-to-better-health/) really convincing. Most of the benefits of exercise (and eating right, too) come in the small changes that you make. Getting up for 20 minutes a day. Focusing on food with better nutritional content, more flavor, and better ability to keep you satisfied. Health is about more than losing body fat. It's about being able to do the things that you want and feel good doing them.

The only failures I've ever seen on here, then, are the people who are overexercising to get their body fat down another 0.5% or eating nothing but carrot sticks because they're entirely focused on numbers and not their general sense of well-being. I think that's the danger of these tracking websites, and why it annoys me when MFP starts bugging me about not logging in for a few days. Health is largely about inculcating healthy habits, not mercilessly counting every calorie or step at every moment of every day. I find MFP useful in a lot of ways--but I think you have to be careful not to make it into a fetish or an addiction.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I failed at both Weight Watchers (lost 80, then re-gained 40) and Medifast (lost 50, then re-gained 80). I'm hoping MFP will be the program I succeed at.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I used MFP religiously last year and lost nearly 40 pounds with eating healthier and working out regularly. I was a literally a gym rat..everytime the lights were on I was there...or in the pool during the summer. I had one class last summer and was able to stay on track just fine with a few slips but nothing bad to stop the loss. Then once grad school started in the fall....I was so stressed and busy that I quit logging, quit working out regularly, etc. I tried to get back to it in January (2012)..but spring classes proved to be too much so I completely fell off into eating bad stuff and not exercising. I vowed to get back to MFP, eating better and working out once classes had ended..and well here I am. I gained back nearly 15 pounds of the 35-40 I had lost.

One thing I will say that helped me (not scale wise but in inches) is I added L-Carnitine to my supplements and it has helped me maintain a decent inches loss even though I have gained pounds. I am still able to wear most of the size 16 pants I had bought with the previous loss. Hoping the combo of taking the supplement plus working out and eating better will be a magic thing.

That is my failure story...
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I think the fact that we are here IS our failure story....we don't wanna re-hash that...we wanna move forward with success stories! :)

We do good when we decide that failure is not an option. If I don't meet a goal, I change it. I refuse to fail.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!