Help!! I sit at a desk all day!!

Options

Replies

• Feddyvon
    Feddyvon Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When people ask me about the weight I lost, and how I did it, one of the first things I tell them is to try and keep their snacking to things that are grown, picked, and mostly farm to plate. If it's processed, has added sugar, preservatives, etc...cut it out.

There are millions of options, you won't blow your calories, and you can fill in the gaps between meals.

I know it's over simplified, and there are a ton of exceptions, but this mentality kept me on track.
  • gendoll
    gendoll Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I found that works for me and keeps me from over snacking is only bringing to work what I intend to eat for that day. It's tedious but every morning I grab my breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks. So even if I eat all the food in my desk it's ok, I'm supposed to. And I plan my dinner before I get home so I know what I'm cooking before I even get there. I'm the type that if I bring an entire box off 100 calorie snacks to work, I will probably eat them all in 1-2 days out of boredom.
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options
    When people ask me about the weight I lost, and how I did it, one of the first things I tell them is to try and keep their snacking to things that are grown, picked, and mostly farm to plate. If it's processed, has added sugar, preservatives, etc...cut it out.

There are millions of options, you won't blow your calories, and you can fill in the gaps between meals.

I know it's over simplified, and there are a ton of exceptions, but this mentality kept me on track.

This goes right along with the book I've been reading (for the 2nd time), Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels. I try to steer away from processed foods as much as possible with any meal or snack. Sometimes I struggle though since I'm not the only person I cook for anymore (so it gets expensive) and sometimes (for meals) there's the convenience factor of processed foods. One thing I definitely need to work on is the planning aspect of meals and snacks. I need to start planning out my entire day instead of the next meal to come.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I find baby carrots really good, I can go through a whole bag in 2 days.... as I am half asleep staring at my pc screen I make a game out of 3 crunch bites with my front teeth for each carrot..... kinda takes the boredom away and keeps me occupied haha...

Fresh strawberries are good too, a bowl full keeps me satisfied for quite some time...
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I have the under the desk cycle as well. I bought mine at D!cks Sporting Goods - it is made by Golds Gym and was $29.99 (or so). You can also do kegals while sitting (butt clench, thigh clench etc) and bring some light hand weights to do while bored. It all adds up.

I pack snacks the night before and bring them in a small cooler.
    - Celery Sticks
    - controlled amounts of peanut butter (because I can get out of control with it)
    - apple slices
    - pretzels
    - protein powder (I use a bottle water from the machine and BOOM instant snack)
    - grapes
    - protein bars
    - nuts (yum!~ portion control needed though)

Good luck
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sort of along the same lines as Feddyvon's advice - pay attention to how food affects you and plan your meals and snacks around that. For me personally, if I eat something like a high carb breakfast, I'll be starving in a couple hours and can't seem to get satiated for the rest of the day. But if I start with something high protein (or at least make sure my mid morning snack is high in protein), I'm at a much better place all day. Everyone's different so just keep tracking and look back at yesterday's food and activity on those days when you're feeling particularly hungry. Keep trying different things until you get the right balance.

And if you're sure it's boredom eating, try finding something to distract yourself. If you can, get up and go for a quick walk around the building or up and down a few flights of stairs. If you can't, as someone else suggested, find something else to keep you occupied (as long as it doesn't get you fired).

Plan and prepare as much as you can too. This, for me, is way high on the list of things that have helped me be successful this time. I can manage to make good choices on days I don't have time to plan but it's much easier when I don't have to think about what's for lunch, snack, etc. At the very least, come up with a list of lunch and dinner ideas that are quick and easy, just in case you're in a pinch. That way you avoid the temptation of "oh, I'll just get take out tonight because I'm too tired/busy/hungry to think about it".
  • rachellem86
    rachellem86 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I gained a whole bunch of weight when I went from bartending to working in an office.

I keep popcorn (no butter) and assorted nuts in my desk drawer for when I get hungry, and I drink tons of water. I also keep some fruits and veggies in the fridge for snacks.

One thing that has helped me, is that I brought a swiss ball into the office, and I sit on that for a couple of hours instead of sitting on my chair. My balance has improved and my core is way stronger from trying to keep myself stabilized on the ball!
  • hbaby08
    hbaby08 Posts: 75
    Options
    Fresh fruit, apples, oranges, banannas (takes a while to go bad)
    Dried Fruit (lots of chewing to fill you up)
    Trail Mix (make your own- buy mixed nuts, dried fruit, even some dark chocolate chips)- Be careful the calories can add up, but it will fill you up
    Drink water
    Take a walk down the hall, down the stairs, around the corner- sometimes the huger goes away
    Have puzzles at your desk, play a game on your phone (not condoning :) like spades or bejeweled or something with strategy
    No processed foods- i got a pack of snackwell cookies out the snack machine yesterday (i was starving) looked at the ingredients and 1st one is unbleached enriched flour. usually the beginning ingredients are the majority of the product. So syke yourself out and look up the ingredients. Even though the pack was only 210 in calories, it wasn't worth it
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I work at the desk ALL DAY as well. Only part time but still, those 8-9 hour shifts can get to you sometimes haha

Biggest thing I've found is packing lunch and a couple snacks for variety and bringing into work. I have to worry about snacks at work as well like cookies and what not but I just limit myself to one or two. It also helps to have everything planned out so that you aren't clueless when you get home. I use a meal planner to plan dinners and it has helped immensely. I keep snacks different every few weeks to spice things up so I don't get bored.
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options
    I work at the desk ALL DAY as well. Only part time but still, those 8-9 hour shifts can get to you sometimes haha

Biggest thing I've found is packing lunch and a couple snacks for variety and bringing into work. I have to worry about snacks at work as well like cookies and what not but I just limit myself to one or two. It also helps to have everything planned out so that you aren't clueless when you get home. I use a meal planner to plan dinners and it has helped immensely. I keep snacks different every few weeks to spice things up so I don't get bored.

What meal planner do you use?
  • kaaabney
    kaaabney Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It is the same cycle that HMD7703 has. It's Gold's Gym upper and lower body cycle with monitor. It's around $25 at Walmart or a sporting goods store. I don't have any personal experience with it, but she really likes it! I hope this helps.
  • DawnJanette
    DawnJanette Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Tabithayvonne
    Tabithayvonne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find baby carrots really good, I can go through a whole bag in 2 days.... as I am half asleep staring at my pc screen I make a game out of 3 crunch bites with my front teeth for each carrot..... kinda takes the boredom away and keeps me occupied haha...

Fresh strawberries are good too, a bowl full keeps me satisfied for quite some time...

The baby carrot idea really helps me a lot. I keep them around a lot.
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options
    It is the same cycle that HMD7703 has. It's Gold's Gym upper and lower body cycle with monitor. It's around $25 at Walmart or a sporting goods store. I don't have any personal experience with it, but she really likes it! I hope this helps.

Thank you. That helps immensely! I'm planning on getting a stability ball after work. I gave mine to my old roommate because at the time I didn't use it and was still working in surgical services. Now I want it back for my office chair! :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Is there some reason you guys snack so much?

I eat breakfast, a few hours later have a banana, then lunch, then dinner. That's it. I don't understand this thing with eating constantly all day long. But, that's just me I guess.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    chew gum. LOL
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    Google MCT Oil. Curbs hunger and cravings and burns fat. I'm only on my 2nd day of it - Good luck!

P.S. My snacks at work for my desk job are fruit and nuts and sometimes protein/fiber bars. But I like to stick to fruit and nuts. Mainly apples, bananas and almonds.

I wanna check into that under the desk bicycle never heard of that!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job. 8 hours in front of computer. What I've found that has helped the most is drinking water ALL DAY. Which means you get up to use the bathroom about every 30 minutes, but it's exercise! LOL It keeps your stomach full, it gives you something to do when you are bored. I drink regular water all day, but I also drink green tea in the afternoon.

Great snacks to have near by. Almonds (they sell little snack packs so you don't go over a serving), low calorie granola bars, flavored rice cakes (that I portion out in snack bags). I typically have a snack mid-morning and mid afternoon. Even if I'm not hungry, because when I'm hungry I want sweets...

Hope it helps! Good luck to you and your new position!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I sit at a desk all day staring at a computer.
    There is what I do:
    get up often and walk around the office
    bring a cooler with snacks - veggies and hummus, fresh fruit, nuts, edamama, protein shakes, cheese sticks
    gallon of water
    chew gum

There is a group for employees that sit at desks. I good place to get support or ideas.

I do this.
  • jamiegordon1976
    Options
    Hi,

I am in the same boat!! I sit at a desk all day and the minute I get bored I go straight for the snacks...
    I don't have any suggestions myself but would love to get some help with this as well.

Nice to meet you, I'm Jamie