Water and Unsweetened Tea?

Options
2»

Replies

• fajitatx
    fajitatx Posts: 36
    Options
    I prefer my iced tea with lime, sometimes lemon, but I will gladly take it with nothing at all.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but am starting to wonder if I should - I still try to get in 8 8oz cups of water. I do love my tea though (and drink it clear), mmm, so many tastey varieties! I probably have 3 cups a day - right now I'm hooked on 'Luscious Watermelon' from David's Tea.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Count it like water
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Count it!

Water with Tea, Water with Lemon, Water with Splenda, Water with dirt!

If it's 8 oz's count it....

When did water not be water when it has something in it...

If I am eating a pack of starburst while drinking a bottle of SMART water ...I all of a sudden can't count it?

Or if I take a sip of 5 hour energy while drinking a bottle of your finest DeerPark, I can't count it?

Count your tea as water if it makes you happy...

good day
  • NeekyRae
    NeekyRae Posts: 34
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone. I'll get some decaf black and green teas to keep around with my others. =D
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are logging water for hydration, then yes you should count it. Tea hydrates you just as well as water. If you are logging it because MFP told you to could "water" and you think that means only plain water, then I guess not since it's not plain.
  • bcampbell54
    Options
    I count it as my water intake unless it is black tea with milk.

green and various herbal teas usually have VERY little or even NO caffeine so they are really just leaves infused into water and they are hydrating you just about as much as plain old water.

I love tea! right now I am having lots of fun making my own iced tea at home with a little bit of splenda and a lot of ice :)

splenda is all chemicals (poison) just like aspartame.

Stevia FTW

We're made up of chemicals.
    So I guess we're all poison.
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    Unsweetened tea lover here too!

I count it as water intake....not my coffee anymore though but I do my tea simply because there is so much ice meltage in my cup and also I think the caffeine that is in it isn't doing to dehydrate you that much...it's certainly no where in the vicinity as other drinks. I think tea (especially unsweetened) is a healthier choice than any or most other drinks out there on the market.

Just my opinion but I am no where near a "PURIST" when it comes to this topic! *wink wink

:drinker:
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I drink close to a gallon of tea a day while at work! I count them all as water except black and mate teas, which have higher caffeine content. I'm hooked on MightyLeaf teas at the moment :)
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I sip green tea pretty much all day long and I do count it as water intake.
  • bcampbell54
    Options
    The only problem with tea is it has caffeine and that dehydrates. So that's why some say it shouldn't count. Not everyone is affected by caffeine the same. I can't drink much of it and only in the mornings. My husband can drink Diet Coke all day and sleep like a baby.

Also for some caffeine can stimulate your blood sugar and make it spike. I know that's why they didn't want you to drink much of it on the South Beach Diet.

Can you prove either of these assertions?
    Only in Type II diabetics has there been an increase in Blood sugar caused by 2.5-3 cups of coffee, and only in some of them
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. My pee isn't clear when I drink tea and I don't pee as often if I drink something else besides water. So to me, only water is water.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    "Tea" is for TREMENDOUS!!! Need some new flavors? Check these out...

http://tattookitty.hubpages.com/hub/10-Terrific-Teas-Worth-trying
  • CindyKee
    CindyKee Posts: 1
    Options
    This is my new drink for water with natural caffeine and a green tea extract : Element Caffeinated Water
  • NeekyRae
    NeekyRae Posts: 34
    Options
    "Tea" is for TREMENDOUS!!! Need some new flavors? Check these out...

http://tattookitty.hubpages.com/hub/10-Terrific-Teas-Worth-trying

Yes it is!! :drinker:
  • spankyvol
    Options
    Common Myth that is untrue... below from Mayo Clinic.

Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not?

I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?

Answer from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available.