Anyone own calipers?

Options
ouandi
ouandi Posts: 135 Member
Just curious if anyone does there own body fat testing at home with calipers? I have one of those scales but it's off by 6-8% or more sometimes (I had my body fat tested at two different gyms and they were the same). I was pretty much mortified doing it at the gym because they lift your shirt for the whole freakin' gym to see so I'd really like to measure my progress at home.

Can anyone recommend some calipers that aren't 100 bucks? I saw some as low as $5 and as high as $200. Just tape measuring isn't working either because my measurements aren't changing but I "look" firmer and you can see the muscles in my legs now.

Replies

• NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it is more accurate to have someone else do caliper testing, so if you do buy some, have someone else do the reading, preferably someone that's trained. I personally would keep using a tape measure and then maybe have someone at the gym or doctors office do a caliper reading every few months.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I do. Haven't quite figured them out yet, plus one of the measure points is on your back, which clearly you can't do by yourself.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    This set works just fine:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VAPHXW/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

You can get it without the measuring tape, but it is actually pretty awesome.

Also, there are ways to do it all on your own (by only do 3 measurement points), but it isn't as accurate.