Fitness help for Law Enforcement

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    ANY LEOs ON HERE, OR IN A SIMULAR ENVIRONMENT...MAYBE SOMEONE MILITARY??
    Dude..
    stop it already.
    IF you actually completed the police academy, you should be in pretty good shape already.

You are not fooling anyone.

This is so true. I mean, who has ever seen an overweight cop? Come on.
    Go to the South.
    A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Lol. That was sarcasm, sweetie. :-)
    Lol, yeah I had a feeling it was.................:embarassed:

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Crossfit! Strength, agility, endurance and coordination all rolled in one. Great for law enforcement or military...or in my case both.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    The custodian on my hall that is retired active duty & still National Guard does this:

30 minutes on the elliptical
    2- mile run, approx 10 minute mile pace
    Does your basic leg/back two days a week, and shoulders/upper arms three days a week.

You'll be in good shape with that, he's a pretty tough dude.

JM
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There are lots of LEO's at my gym- it's a Krav Maga gym and they have a bunch of other classes too like boxing, Brazilian jujitsu, Kali, etc.

My dojo is the same way. We have several who are law enforcement and/or military (current, future, or former), including my sensei and our shidoshi.

I recommend finding a practical, defense-oriented martial arts dojo, regardless of the path. They can provide you with not only a way to keep in shape, but also other tools you can use on your job.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Crossfit! Strength, agility, endurance and coordination all rolled in one. Great for law enforcement or military...or in my case both.
    Funny story but, the short version of it is:
    The only time I was ever knocked completly out cold was by a female MP (Army).
    And a PFC at that.
    I made the VERY foolish mistake of grossly underestimating her.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Funny story but, the short version of it is:
    The only time I was ever knocked completly out cold was by a female MP (Army).
    And a PFC at that.
    I made the VERY foolish mistake of grossly underestimating her.

I will never claim I am the biggest or strongest, but I use the underestimating thing against people as well.
  • bigdogc23
    bigdogc23 Posts: 66
    Options
    Anything that makes you faster, stronger, better bro. There isn't one particular excercise that does that. I would ensure that your cardio is at top physical conditioning. By all means hit the weights man. There are some serious C@CK DIESEL fools out there. While you don't need to be he-man, being stronger than the average thug is probably important.

Also I think it's very important that you incorporate using a HEAVY BAG at least 3 times a week for at least 30 mins. This strenthens your offensive and defensive striking muscles and creates muscle memory so when you have to "GET DOWN WITH THE GET DOWN" you will be much more natural.

On the note of using the heavy bag alternate between using a 16 oz. glove and using just UFC style nuckle covers. You want to strain your muscles with the 16 oz. gloves, kinda like using a weight on your bat right before you go to bat, but you also want to train yourself to jab and strike with the natural weight of your hands and arms. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to square up with your heavy bag in your full "BATTLE RATTLE". Uniform, belt fully equpted, vest etc. You want to know your limitations due to the gear. I'm not a Police Officer but I do have to train in full "BATTLE RATTLE" being in the Army....

Oh... and stay away from the donuts... Sorry I couldn't resist....
  • steelersfamily6
    steelersfamily6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Dude..
    stop it already.
    IF you actually completed the police academy, you should be in pretty good shape already.

Not sure where you live but I have seen some huge, overweight disgusting looking cops & I have always wondered how they became a cop...
  • sugabear123789
    Options
    lol stay away from the donuts huh...lmao.....i have been in traditional karate, jujitsu, and practical self defense for about 6 years now..... im in pretty good shape, . i have a hard time getting stamina when on foot pursuits. i am still 14 for 14, but i litterally feel like going to the hospital afterwards cause i cant breathe. i know addrenaline plays a major role, but man it has to get better...that the main thing for me
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    lol stay away from the donuts huh...lmao.....i have been in traditional karate, jujitsu, and practical self defense for about 6 years now..... im in pretty good shape, . i have a hard time getting stamina when on foot pursuits. i am still 14 for 14, but i litterally feel like going to the hospital afterwards cause i cant breathe. i know addrenaline plays a major role, but man it has to get better...that the main thing for me

If the stamina is an issue, you need to run more ;-)

On the other hand, I only run if someone is chasing me. That someone had better be big and scary.
  • digitalbill
    Options

If the stamina is an issue, you need to run more ;-)

On the other hand, I only run if someone is chasing me. That someone had better be big and scary.
    See, my outlook on running is similar.
    If I catch you stealing something from me and you decide to run away, congats. you just got away because I ain't running after you.
    On the other hand, if you decide to fight me, we are fighting because I ain't running FROM you either.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Word!!! I. Don't. Run.

I saw someone earlier suggested heavy bag...I love it, and the way the class is run at my gym it's heavy bag and intense conditioning, I love it!!!
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    We should start a pool on how long it's going to take the FBI to knock down this guy's door
  • digitalbill
    Options
    We should start a pool on how long it's going to take the FBI to knock down this guy's door
    You mean his Mom's door?
    The FBI will then need to go to the basement bedroom.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You mean his Mom's door?
    The FBI will then need to go to the basement bedroom.
    If this guy's a cop, then his department's psyc evaluation sucks
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Dude..
    stop it already.

Not at 25 years old.
    That is still an FNG.
    The problem a lot of police officers have is that once they leave the academy, they stop working out.
    But, in order to graduate the academy, you do have to be in pretty good shape.

Guess you're not familiar with the smaller towns who sometimes hire from Community College Police Academies. There are at least 2 colleges in my area who have a police academy that has either a joke for PT or no PT at all. One of my coworkers (civilian police employee) went to one and he's 5'10, pushing 300...and NOT a muscular 300. Super slovenly too. One of the colleges has "nutritional seminars" in lieu of PT.

My PD has its' own Academy, and yes, you have to pass pretty strenuous physical agility testing to even get in.
  • digitalbill
    Options
    Dude..
    stop it already.

Not at 25 years old.
    That is still an FNG.
    The problem a lot of police officers have is that once they leave the academy, they stop working out.
    But, in order to graduate the academy, you do have to be in pretty good shape.

Guess you're not familiar with the smaller towns who sometimes hire from Community College Police Academies. There are at least 2 colleges in my area who have a police academy that has either a joke for PT or no PT at all. One of my coworkers (civilian police employee) went to one and he's 5'10, pushing 300...and NOT a muscular 300. Super slovenly too. One of the colleges has "nutritional seminars" in lieu of PT.

My PD has its' own Academy, and yes, you have to pass pretty strenuous physical agility testing to even get in.
    I suppose you are correct.
    I know down here, you have to be in pretty good shape to graduate from the academy.
    I suppose "Mayberry" could have different standards.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    The others have given good advice. I recommend getting a personal trainer if at all possible, so they can make a more detailed workout for you.

And I just wanted to note: ALWAYS tell your dispatcher where you're at, even if you're dropping off dry cleaning or grabbing a bite to eat. We don't care what you're doing, as long as we know where you are and can get you help ASAP if you need it.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    What you said is so sad, but true. My dad was a cop and I remember he told me about rolling up on two guys fighting. They were rolling on the ground with each other and it was cold out so he just pulled up to them, rolled down the window and said, "I got winner." They stopped fighting and he figured it was better to let them go than spend the night writing a report. OF course this was the late 70's or early 80's. He retired in 88 so he didn't have to deal with a lot of the PCP freaks or meth heads.

I know a lot of LEOs here are getting MMA training. Mainly the grappling aspect of it. Hand to hand combat is pretty much all about leverage. Perhaps you can see if there are some local guys that would help. I know a lot of times those guys would consider it an honor to come work with officers and teach them some new moves.

Side note....We had a probation & parole officer killed the other day and it appears he was jumped and lost the fight allowing the perp to get his weapon and shoot him. Very sad. Rumor is the guy may have been on PCP. Don't know if it is true or not.
    Stay safe out there.
  • tcbutler
    tcbutler Posts: 146
    Options
    A lot of departments may require you to be in good shape to graduate from the academy, but once you are out there are no fitness requirements and it is all up to you. And, just like everybody, it is easy to let yourself go.