working out in the heat: risk?

Hi all,

I've been working out at a CrossFit box for a couple of months. Recently, it's reached that point here in Florida where it's really, really, really hot. The location I go to is not air conditioned (this is common).

I went to a 6 p.m. class about a week ago and I barely made it though the WOD and thought I might faint. When I got done and got to my car my hands were shaking pretty badly. I had eaten well that day and drank water during the workout.

Should I be concerned with working out in such heat and my body reacting like that?

There are some 7 a.m. classes I want to try and work into my schedule so that way I beat some of the heat and sun, but I'm not a morning person.

Thoughts?

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    I'm not a doctor, but if you feel like you're going to pass out after a workout, something's wrong. Your body is trying to tell you something.

Is it the heat? Is it the workout? I don't know, but it's something. Can you visit another box (that has AC) and try the same workout? If you can, and you do, and you feel fine after, then it could be the heat. Or, try your own box, but scale the exercise back. If you still feel awful afterwards, could be the heat also.

Again, I'm not a doctor. But you should try changing something!
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Were you well hydrated when you started the workout? Drinking water during a workout is great for replacing the fluids you are losing due to sweat, but if you go in under hydrated it won't help very much.

That being said, you just may be intolerant of that kind of heat while exercising, and in that case the earlier class may be a better option.
  • danielleisms
    danielleisms Posts: 42 Member
    I'm not a doctor, but if you feel like you're going to pass out after a workout, something's wrong. Your body is trying to tell you something.

Is it the heat? Is it the workout? I don't know, but it's something. Can you visit another box (that has AC) and try the same workout? If you can, and you do, and you feel fine after, then it could be the heat. Or, try your own box, but scale the exercise back. If you still feel awful afterwards, could be the heat also.

I think it's the heat. I've been doing these work outs for a while now and while they are indeed *kitten*-kickers, I never had that happen before until the temps recently rose! I guess I'll either have to get myself up early enough to go to morning classes or find a place with AC for the summer!
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    I am also in Florida and it gets to be a real challenge to workout outside. I have found if I am going to be running or playing tennis that if I drink a lot of water with some gatorade power mixed in about an hour before exercising it allows me to go longer. I do not think it is wise to exercise to the point where you feel weak, that is the first signs of a heat stroke.
  • danielleisms
    danielleisms Posts: 42 Member
    I am also in Florida and it gets to be a real challenge to workout outside. I have found if I am going to be running or playing tennis that if I drink a lot of water with some gatorade power mixed in about an hour before exercising it allows me to go longer. I do not think it is wise to exercise to the point where you feel weak, that is the first signs of a heat stroke.

I just got this Electro-Mix stuff to mix into my waters for the summer. I'm hoping that will help. Let's be honest, even at 7 a.m. it's not very cool out! Thanks.
  • rob021880
    rob021880 Posts: 28

my thoughts are the same as the above, your body is definitely telling you something when you're feeling that way after. but also, is it all the time now that it's warming up, or was it that one day?? and no pun intended but... GO HEAT!!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    I would try to work out in the morning or evenings probably. My box isn't air conditioned either but it hasn't gotten that hot here yet. My plan is to go to the 7pm classes and morning classes on the weekends
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Pushing yourself in the heat is very, very dangerous. You risk heat exhaustion or worse, heat stroke. You can still workout, but listen to your body and don't push as hard or fast. I'm a runner in TX, and I run with a group and our pace during the summer is much slower than spring/fall/winter, and we don't have the humidity you have. I'm not familiar with CrossFit specifically, but assume it's a circuit training/Bootcamp type workout? You need to dial it back a notch or two until your body acclimates to the heat, and even then, you won't be able to go as hard as you could in the spring, but you'll see a big jump in what you can do when the weather cools down. And obviously, stay hydrated and watch your electrolytes.