tuna

Options
nolachick
nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
hey guys,
any tuna recipes? I don't particularly like tuna (it smells bad, lol)
so i wud like somoe recipes that make it smell and taste better without packing in a lot of mayo and fat.

thanks.

Replies

• nolachick
    Options
    p.s. by tuna i meant canned tuna. i just want a couple ingredients to add to it to make it taste better.
    i used to buy one prepared with veggies but it was packed with mayo :S
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    tough decision i mix mine with a bit of sweetcorn and Heinz Salad Cream Extra Light (England) and then stuff a red pepper with it and it fills me right up.
    i use the one that comes in spring water or brine but the one in sunflower oil definately tastes nicer so i use it once in a while but it bumps the calories up too much for me to use all the time.

Tuna Is an Amazing thing but you're right it does smell a bit!
  • nolachick
    Options
    thanks! i finally got some feed back. lol i guess no one else likes tuna
    i'm not sure how i feel about salad cream but i'll try it!
  • nolachick
    Options
    u look great btw. great job
  • ctucker07
    ctucker07 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I put lemon juice, a little bit of low fat mayo and veggies in mine.
  • nolachick
    Options
    thnx. that what my mom does too.

i love ur wedding picture by the way. looks so sweet :) sniff :smile:
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    Try mixing it with dijonaise - it's dijon mustard w/ a little mayo already mixed in. It's super low in calories and very yummy! Spread some on a piece of toast, top with cheese (can melt in microwave), then add lettuce, tomato, and onion. Or stuff it in a half of a whole wheat pita or a low calorie wrap :)
  • nolachick
    Options
    that sounds good! thnx
  • sharlenemcv
    sharlenemcv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually make my tuna into a pasta bake with a tomato sauce with lots of roasted veg.

normally i use 2 red peppers, 4 plum tomatoes and 1 or 2 red onions (you can use whatever veg you like) slice & chop everything put into a pyrex dish with some garlic and black pepper, you can then add your drained tuna from the can and your pasta drizzle with a little olive oil and use 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and cold water to create your sauce, give it all a stir and make sure all your pasta is covered. Put in over for approx 40 mins untill your pasta is soft. I normally grate a slice of bread into crumbs and spread over after about 25 mins and you can also add a little cheese to this.

Really tasty and filling. comes in at approx 320 cals per 1/2 dish. This is a good dish to share with someone. And totally disguises the smell of tuna although you can still get the taste throughout the pasta.

Hope this helps.

xx
  • klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    I like mine with dill relish, onion, celery and light mayo. Put that on some toasted wheat bread and it's great! But adding the onion and relish has their own "odor" issues!
  • sabbles
    sabbles Posts: 37
    Options
    If you try white albacore in water, the smell is about 1/2 as potent. However, it also has a tendency to have a higher mercury content. So...I guess there is a trade off.

I prepare tuna with a little bit of hellman's mayo (about a teaspoon) and a drop of dijon mustard. I also add chopped dill pickles, onion powder, parsley flakes and ground pepper. You can eat on bread or on a bed of chopped greens to offset the calories from the mayo.

You could google a recipe for tuna burgers -- I think you just substitute the tuna for the ground meat, and season accordingly.

And there is always the pasta option -- cold tuna salads, or warm pasta dishes. Here's a good one from Giada DeLaurentiis: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/fusilli-with-tuna-and-tomato-sauce-recipe/index.html.

Or this one for a tuna and white bean salad: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/white-bean-tuna-salad-recipe/index.html.

Sometimes I forego the tuna and eat canned salmon (the can the size of tuna, or in the pouch). The flavor is really tasty! I add a tsp mayo, italian seasoning, chopped spinach, and chopped fresh tomato. This is also good in pasta salads.

good luck!
  • stephcheers
    Options
    I like tuna so I might now be the best help...but I have sprinkled a little italian seasoning (dry salad dressing mix) on it and it gives it a great low calorie taste (5 calories).

Also if you put it on a salad and add fat free cottage cheese and your choice of low cal. dressing....that's yummy too.

:wink:
  • tanya7712
    tanya7712 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I usually do a tuna salad with the canned tuna. I put in there onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, Extra Virgin Olive OIl, a little vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Its yummy like that:happy:
  • angela1983
    Options
    I put avocado and salsa with my tuna...
  • nolachick
    Options
    thanks guys! these all sound really yummy!
    hmm I might make some tuna tonight n try some of these :)

thanks again ya'll:smile:
  • ZuzanaFan
    Options
    This is my favorite tuna recipe and its really good stuffed into tomatos too!

2 cans tuna drained
    1 can artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
    2 ribs celery, chopped
    3 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley (a handful)
    1 lemon, zested and juiced
    Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
    salt and pepper to taste

If for stuffed tomatos, 6 vine ripe tomatos, mix tuna and next 7 ingredients to combine. Season with salt & pepper. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each tomato to stabilize it. Seed and hollow out the tomato with a spoon. Season tomatos with salt and pepper, then fill with the salad, mounding the tuna up. The tomatos are then ready to serve or to chill.
  • faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    tuna, kraft miracle whip light, clausens dill, onion, tomato, boiled egg=mmmm
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    pick your favorite boxed pastas, and add tuna and veggies when theyre done.

use a low cal vinagrette dressing with tuna, some salt, and some pepper on a single slice of bread (you can add a slice of cheese, too) and toast in a toaster oven or on the stove...make a great open-faced sandwich.

tuna and potatoes is supposed to be good, too...but Ive never tried any recipes Ive found.

also any low cal dressing can hide the strong flavor even better than massive amounts of mayo