How Can I Burn More Calories?

Options
I am limited to what I can do...so walking and seated abs workout is what I do...I do 12 mins of seated abs workout and 60 mins of walking a day but I am only burning 300(aprx) calories. I can only do my walking for 60 mins( 2 sets of 30 per day). I feel if I am only burning 300 calories a day i won't lose any weight...or it will takes years to take the weight off.
Thank You

Replies

• llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The calorie deficit required for weight loss is built in to your base calories *before* you exercise, so don't worry about that. You're expected to eat back the calories you burn with exercise so that the deficit stays in the healthy range. Be careful that you don't overestimate the calories burned, though, or it can cut into the deficit. My experience was that MFP was too generous by at least a third with the calories it wanted to give me for walking, so I use http://www.mapmyrun.com/nutrition/calculate/ instead.
  • WandaJean1564
    WandaJean1564 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    according to that it says If I walk a mile in 1 hour I burn 6835 calories, I don't think I walk that much...I do a trail that is 1 km but I can only walk it for 3 mins..id like to walk the entire trail ...some day:)
  • WandaJean1564
    WandaJean1564 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    oops thats 30 mins..not 3 mins lol
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Try freestyle dance. You don't have to be able to dance well.. just close the door and put on some music and dance. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Walk uphill or on stairs instead for the same time limit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Our results show that isolated aerobic exercise is not an effective weight loss therapy in these patients.

you can do it with diet alone, don't fret about exercise.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Swim or just workout more
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    according to that it says If I walk a mile in 1 hour I burn 6835 calories, I don't think I walk that much...I do a trail that is 1 km but I can only walk it for 3 mins..id like to walk the entire trail ...some day:)
    You mean 683.5?
    It's impossible for someone to burn 7000 calories in one hour.
    3500 calories=1 pound

And as the person above me said, try jogging/running at your own pace. Also, try the elliptical or jump roping.
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    DVD's are great! Buy some free weights and start building muscle, your body burns more calories when you have more muscle. Just get moving! Clean more, work in your yard, park at the end of the parking lot. Gym memberships are overrated... ( for some ;) )
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    When I needed to get more out of my walking (before I started running) I added arm movement. I was on a treadmill at home so didn't have to worry about looking weird LOL. I would do bicep curls, lateral raises, and punches. I would do one movement for about a minute and a half, then take a 20 second break, then switch to another circuit. After I did all 3 circuits, I would take a break circuit and start over. Really helped up my calorie burn! You can do them with or without weights.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    move "faster"

This...

Want to burn more calories...Get moving more and more each day...Stay active....You will be burning more calories
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options

That thing has got to be way off.........I walk 2 miles in about 30 minutes and I know I don't burn that many calories
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think a combination of the work you're doing and being strict with your diet will give you great results. Diet is certainly the most important in losing weight but make sure you maintain and continue to build on your fitness - that will add to your health.

So far as excercise and calories, perhaps try and do more hill walks or add slow jogs for parts of the walk. If you can elevate your heart rate a little you'll see better results. Dance, lifting/carrying, jump rope and walking steps always help me elevate my heart rate when i dont feel like going for a run.

The best thing i ever did was work out how much junk food would 'cost' me (eg chocolate bar = 1 hr running) in the end you decide to pass on things because you understand how much work you have to do to burn off the junk - not to mention its often lacking anything nutritionally worthwhile.

I prefer to blow my calories on fruitsalads, the occasional piece of 85% dark chocolate or huge veggie stirfries for dinner that leave me full and not wanting to binge later in the night.
  • shalecefiack
    Options
    Try a spinning (indoor cycling) class at your local gym. It's low impact and you will see amazing results! I lost 40 pounds over the last year doing it (combined with weight watchers spin twice a week and other workouts 3 days a week). It was torture for the first week or two, but then I was hooked! Now I teach!
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I run in place or power walk in front of the tv, I have a rule that if I am going to watch tv during the day I have to move during that time or at least most of it.
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    Carry on backpack on your walk and gradually increase the amount of weight you are carrying. That will help you burn more in the same amount of time.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Why are you limited to seated abs and walking for workouts? It's hard to answer your question without knowing that.

But if you really are limited to 300 calories per day, you're going to have to focus more on diet than exercise, but you can still be successful with losing weight.

Also, you might try getting a pedometer and setting a goal of 10,000 (+) steps per day. That should increase your BMR and the number of calories you burn overall.

Good luck!
    Jen
  • DonnieBailey
    Options
    walking two sets of 30 minutes per day will definitely work if you are consistent and stay with the amount of calories MFP sets for you.
  • yellowrose8520
    yellowrose8520 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went to weather.com under fitness tools and used a calorie calculator. You may be surprised that you are doing more than you realize. Good luck
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It's about 100 calories per mile at a brisk walk. I have MS so I understand the limitations some people have. I stared walking in February about a quarter of a mile a day, then I pushed it to a half a mile.. And so on and so on.. I am now up to five miles with jogging mixed in on days when my legs feel up to it. Just do what you can, and each day, do more than you did before....