is it pointless to exercise abs if

Options
you have a belly? i mean im not expecting to see anything but i feel like what is the point. someone knock some sense into me.

Replies

• nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    As your stomach muscles get stronger and tighter it will pull the rest of you in :) I have a bad belly and I just did 3 sets of 25 rep sit ups, and 3 sets of 35rep sit up side thingys.. haha love my correctness! My abs hurt but its the good hurt :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unless you are at a very low body fat and somehow need to develop the abs specifically for show, it is pointless to exercise the abs at all.

IMO, you are much better off incorporating general core training--either separately or part of other exercises--into your overall routine with an emphasis on stability and the glutes than you are wasting time on various ab crunches and other like exercises. For most people, ab work is about 29th on their fitness/health "needs" list, whether they realize it or not.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It's pointless if you don't care about core strength. I mean, core strength is only vital. no big.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Never pointless to get stronger around your middle. Abs are only one part of your core, but being stronger there will help support your back, making lifting easier, and, as you lose fat you'll see the nice abs underneath!
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    Strengthening your core is important whether you have fat to lose on your belly or are on the verge of a six pack. I don't think any muscle group should be ignored, especially one as important as the CORE.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It depends on your needs and personal goals. Your core muscles get challenged from strength training if you are exercising proper form.

I'm not consistent, but I do core exercises because I need strong abs to protect my back.
  • JustBreathSB
    JustBreathSB Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have fat on my thighs and can't see the muscle, does it mean I should not exercise them?
  • southernsweetie1978
    southernsweetie1978 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was doing sit-ups but my Dad has back problems and I have back problems as well and his doc told him recently that if you have back problems, you shouldn't do sit ups.
  • daniii6
    daniii6 Posts: 23
    Options
    I'd stick to planks to help strengthen your core and not worry about doing all sorts of other sit ups. Abs are visible when your body fat is low but a strong core is needed to do just about anything.
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    HealthyNFit4Life Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    def exercise them!! I've always had a belly but working out my abs make them much flatter!!
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    I was doing sit-ups but my Dad has back problems and I have back problems as well and his doc told him recently that if you have back problems, you shouldn't do sit ups.

There are countless core and ab exercises besides sit ups.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have read a lot that the only way to lose belly fat is with cardio. However, it is important to build muscle everywhere including the abs. So it is not pointless. You won't lose your belly with only abs exercises and no crunches but if you do both the cardio will rid you of the fat and the abs exercises will make the ab muscles strong (and cut).
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    No, it's not pointless to train them. Train them as you would any other muscle - the abdominals aren't special.

You should also understand that spot reduction is nonsense.
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

There are countless core and ab exercises besides sit ups.

^^This

I doubt he said your dad shouldn't exercise his middle. A weak core is one of the surest ways to get a bad back. Among other problems.
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hell no it's not pointless! Look at the difference in my belly in just 200 days - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/603903-nearing-my-200th-day-on-mfp That is 3 kids later too :-)
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    No it's not pointless....think of the muscles that you will eventually uncover under the belly once you melt it away! Work away at them they will show themselves sooner than later!!!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    is it pointless to exercise abs

directly? yes
  • mjoekidd
    mjoekidd Posts: 45
    Options
    Core strength is very important.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hell no it's not pointless! Look at the difference in my belly in just 200 days - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/603903-nearing-my-200th-day-on-mfp That is 3 kids later too :-)

What did you do for that?!
  • healthygirl1967
    Options
    i too have had a belly and still do, but working your core is vital for everyday living. I have suffered from back pain in the past but with doing core exercises like planks, side planks, the pain has reduced.

Good luck