Dinner idea's for the whole family??

Options

Replies

• Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Get a copy of Tosca Reno's 'The Eat Clean Diet' - tons of recipes!!! she's fantastic.

Baked Tilapia (I've got a great recipe for some flavorful fish!)

Lean ground turkey with whole wheat pasta and diced roma tomatoes, fresh herbs. (good combo of protein, carbs, veggies since you will add a salad)

Italian baked chicken breasts (put some light italian dressing on chicken breasts in foil, put remaining dressing on top of those so they all have a coating of it. cover with foil, bake until done! Juicy and tons of flavor goes well with red taters or a salad).

stuffed bell peppers

etc etc
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Bump thanks for great ideas
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with meatloaf? I just made that. It's great. You can make it with ground turkey, or just super lean beef. Don't put cream in it or anything. i used about 1/4 cup of non-fat milk, some bread crumbs, and the rest was spices. Delish.
  • penpen96
    penpen96 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i do alot of grilling in the warmer months - turkey brats are wonderfully delicious on the grill. Also, i try to use my crockpot for multiple different chicken receipes. i've got most of my receipes from pinterest.com
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Here's some links for you:

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/finallychelle/view/my-lo-cal-recipe-collection-195763

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/464772-what-should-i-do-with-won-ton-wrappers

those should keep you busy for a while...I think there's also a group in MFP for clean eating...or it may be the paleo group~

Good luck with your endeavours!
  • DrivenDiva
    DrivenDiva Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas!
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    Made this for dinner tonight. It was a hit w/ my family.

Chicken Asparagus Pasta

2 chicken breasts
    2 cloves garlic
    1 bunch asparagus, steamed
    16 oz bow tie pasta, cooked
    1 cup spaghetti sauce
    1/4 c fresh basil or 1 T dry basil
    1/2 t salt
    parmesan cheese

Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Cook in skillet. When cooked completely, add garlic, steamed asparagus, cooked pasta, spaghetti sauce, basil, adn salt. Sprinkle with cheese. Enjoy!
  • dippy_debs
    dippy_debs Posts: 1
    Options
    hi,
    im just wondering if anyone has any meal ideas for me that i could make as a family meal on a budget , am not doin to bad its warm at the moment so salads are the meals of choice but i now by the end off the week im gonna be bored off this an break which i am determind not to do.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Thanks for all these great recipe ideas guys!!!
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    I'm finally going grocery shopping .... time to try out some of these great ideas!!!
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    We did a campfire chicken yesterday on the grill. It is really easy.

Take a piece of aluminum foil (size depends on how big a serving you are making. you need to be able to fold the sides up all the way around) and place some fresh, sliced veggies on it. I usually do potatoes (sometimes sweet potato), onions, maybe some apple slices, mushrooms, corn cobettes, zucchini, peppers...just really whatever you like.

Place a boneless/skinless chicken breast on top. Season it all with whatever seasoning you like. I generally do salt, pepper, garlic and paprika. You can also use lipton soup mixes. They work really well.

Fold the sides of the aluminum foil up to seal it all together. Throw it on the grill for about 30-35 minutes. My kids love it.

This sounds really yummy!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    This dish can add up really fast but you can play around with it a lot. I make Spaghetti Bake.

Cook your meat and spaghetti sauce. I use less meat in this dish because you won't notice it. You can skip it too.

Dice a variety of veggies and sautée them. Examples include carrots, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, squash, olives, egg plant, etc. Throw it in the sauce.

Cook the noodles al dente. Drain.

In a casserole dish, layer these ingredients:

Noodles
    Meat/Sauce/Veggies Mixture
    Mozzarella Cheese

Repeat and end with cheese.

Bake at 350 until the cheese is melted.

Cut the dish in squares. This is a powerhouse of nutrition but do watch the portions.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    It's funny you mentioned lasagna because that's what I made for dinner tonight. I don't think any foods are really off limits as long as you make them as lean as possible and eat in moderation. I had one piece of lasagna and enjoyed it, along with a big serving of steamed broccoli. I also take out pizza and eat fast food once in a while. So far it's all working and I'm not deprived. Still losing!
    Great!
  • WhatitisLiz
    WhatitisLiz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I made something delicious tonight that I found on Pinterest. It's called "Mexican Chicken"

1 lb of boneless skinless chicken breast
    1 can of 98% fat free cream of Chicken Soup
    1 cup of Salsa
    1 packet of taco seasoning

Mix it all together and cook in crock pot on low for 6 hours. Shred the chicken and make sure it's all mixed together. It feeds four and is only 194 calories per serving. The recipe also called for a cup of sour cream, but I left it out. I had mine over brown rice and black beans with a little bit of cheese (of course you have to add those calories in). But, I made burritos for the rest of the family and they really enjoyed it. I will definitely be making it again.

If you are looking for good light recipes look up "skinny taste" or "hungry girl" I have found some good ones on there too.
  • phylicia44
    phylicia44 Posts: 12
    Options
    Stir-Frys!! My whole family love them! I also make mini "pizza" Using eggplant!!! - very good even my 4 year old will eat it! Lettuce wraps, let them pick what they want in theirs, fun and healthy because your not using breads! Kabobs over brown rice! ( marinated all the meat & veggies in italian dressing!) Make your lasagna using eggplant in place of the noodle! I bet you it will be very yummy!

How thick do you slice the eggplant? I have never heard of this but I love the idea! Can you post your whole prep/recipe?? My eggplant is always so mushy after I cook it. :(
  • phylicia44
    phylicia44 Posts: 12
    Options
    I am new to all this, and trying to change how I cook the foods I love to eat. After adding some recipes to calculate all the calories and.. you know stuff. I realized, I didn't cook "bad" food.
    One thing my kids like is Sausage and spinach Manicotti. You can use ground turkey instead.

Cook the meat in Italian seasonings, drain. As the meat is cooking, Boil the Manicotti noodles, rinse in cool water, drain. Lay the noodles out on wax paper. I use canned spinach, I am unsure how to cook with fresh spinach. :frown: But drain the spinach really well. In a medium bowl, combine spinach, 1 egg and the meat. Stuff the noodles and place in a baking dish. Cover the stuffed noodles in spaghetti sauce, any flavor, and cheese if desired and bake for 30 minutes. This should feed around 6 people.

I also fry spinach. Drain a can of spinach, again i am unsure how to cook with fresh spinach. In a skillet, add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, turn the heat to low medium. Scramble 1 egg in the skillet and add the spinach. Sprinkle garlic powder or fresh garlic and parmsean cheese over it. As it cooks you want to stir it alot. It takes around 20 minutes to cook. If you use one can of spinach, It will feed 3 people. I usually use 2 cans. :smile:

Cooking with fresh spinach is easier than using canned or frozen. I can never get them drained well enough. Just use a really good nonstick skillet or pot, and put the spinach in on about medium heat and it will wilt down and I rarely have any "juice" to drain. I think it tastes better too.
  • liljen2005
    liljen2005 Posts: 19
    Options
    The eggplant pizzas, I usually cut them about 1/2 inch. Put a little flour ,slat , & pepper, and pan fry them in a little oil. Then I add the sauce cheese and peperoni and bake at 350 until cheese is melted!!! The first time I did this I was pregnant with my daughter, I had read that eggplant helps you to go into labor, I started contractions that night, & had her two days later!!!