Off Topic....moms, where are you??

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
I need help! Please tell me this is normal. My formerly sweet, kind, good boy turned 17 months old and BAM!! He became devil child!! His cuspids are coming in and I hear they are nasty...and I know he is trying to test his boundaries and see what he can get away with...and I know it is frustrating because he can't communicate everything he wants to (besides screaming!!).....But, man!! I just don't know how to handle him sometimes.

I keep saying I need little boy midol for his PMS!! LOL!

I wasn't prepared for this at all because he was GREAT up until now. I mean, the ONLY thing I could complain about was him screaming sometimes (out of frustration AND excitement), but he was a good sleeper, eater, transitioned from bottle to cup before he was a year! And he is just a charmer, waves and smiles to everyone in public. I still see glimpses of my sweet boy! Please tell me he's not gone forever!! :)

Thanks
Tami (mommy to J.T. the Terrible!!!) hehe

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    I need help! Please tell me this is normal. My formerly sweet, kind, good boy turned 17 months old and BAM!! He became devil child!! His cuspids are coming in and I hear they are nasty...and I know he is trying to test his boundaries and see what he can get away with...and I know it is frustrating because he can't communicate everything he wants to (besides screaming!!).....But, man!! I just don't know how to handle him sometimes.

I keep saying I need little boy midol for his PMS!! LOL!

I wasn't prepared for this at all because he was GREAT up until now. I mean, the ONLY thing I could complain about was him screaming sometimes (out of frustration AND excitement), but he was a good sleeper, eater, transitioned from bottle to cup before he was a year! And he is just a charmer, waves and smiles to everyone in public. I still see glimpses of my sweet boy! Please tell me he's not gone forever!! :)

Thanks
    Tami (mommy to J.T. the Terrible!!!) hehe
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Nah hes not gone forever ... just a few years!!! Its not easy and definately now always fun .... WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF LITTLE BOYS:devil:

j~
  • Sinnettfamily
    Sinnettfamily Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That is about the time my little boy started being that way, as well as my daughter, it last till she was 3 and it is soo much better, now have to wait for my son. :smile:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Motherhood...isn't it the best. I am sorry to tell you this...but you will be going throught that for the next 18 years.:laugh: But it is all worth it. :flowerforyou:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Mine just turned 15 and already I have silver hair peaking through and I'm only 36!!!!!
  • BreaNix
    BreaNix Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    No he's not gone forever.

I remember there were many times that I had to carry my oldest out of stores, with him on my shoulder kicking and screaming. He came out of it and is awesome.

Lots of love, understanding, patience, while standing your ground on your rules and this will pass. A few drinks doesn't hurt either...hehe...just kidding.
    Another bit of advice I got at that time was to pick your battles. Only inforce the ones that really matter to you. Sometimes its ok to let the others pass.

I found going to the health club a great break at that age. He could run around and play with kids while
    I could have alone time.

good luck
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    OMG I guess he approached the terrible two's a little too early...the main thing is that you need to be consistent, don't give into his demands. They are really good manipulators!!! And everyone around him need to be on the same page when it comes to disciplining...you cannot be one way and your husband or the grandparents another way...and best of all LOTS of patience...this too shall pass..."enjoy" every stage of your child's life because they grow TOO quickly!! :flowerforyou:
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My two year old was an angel. Still is (sometimes). Her favorite word now is NO!! With a little whiney attitude accent on it. The worst part is my one year old imitates her. It seems like they both want to gang up on me. Lol. But the 2 year old is no stranger to the bad girl chair. And the one year old will be soon to follow. Keep your stance and the sweet little guy will make more appearances. He is trying to test you. I find either lack of sleep or boredom brings the devil out. Keep him well rested and busy with different activities. Good luck and enjoy these times they will go by quickly.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Hoowee! I have a daughter and a son. Both grown up now but the worse time for me was when my daughter started going through puberty. Up until that time we were closer than two peas in a pod. All of a sudden BAM!!!! It was like she was replaced by some evil, hateful, warring alien who was just determined that she was not going to get along with me no matter what. No if, ands or buts about it. She was just HORRIBLE I tell ya! Nobody had warned me this would happen. I was so unprepared. It was the first time in my life I ever hated my daughter. I know that's horrible to say but it's the truth. Luckily that passed and we're friends now but whoa I never want to go through that again! Luckily my second child was a boy and he wasn't near as bad as his sister. :happy:

Anyway good luck to you. I have to say that if I had it to do over again (having my kids) I'd do it a million times over because they are just so worth it. Enjoy your little one becausse this too shall pass.

btw you're little one is very normal. :smile:
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Mine just turned 15 and already I have silver hair peaking through and I'm only 36!!!!!
    Too funny although my hair started getting touches of gray when I was pregnant with the first. I guess it was to warn me what I was in store for.
  • abetterme
    abetterme Posts: 393
    Options
    I am a mother of 5 boys and 1 girl, the boys are 14, 9, 7, 5 and 3 and the girl is 2. Your cute little boy is not gone forever. I have noticed as they get older it is hard to find but when I do find it I cherrish it. The boys still allow hugs and kisses so I am taking advantage of that while I can cause I know one of these days it will be Gross MOM!!! Don't do that!!! I feel your pain but just want you to know that he is not gone for good. Sorry that you are having to go through this, I send you prayers of strength:flowerforyou:
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    awe... the wonderful world of 2ys... lol Jerimyah started at about age 1. i had to learn not to give into his demands... when his fits get out of control i put him in timeout. but mostly i ignore his fits.. let him scream for a min or two and then come back ask if he is okay and wants to try again.. if he says no, i start all over... if it got to the point where he was hittin and throwin things, he got time out.. it lasted about 3 months or so.. i think he realized that mommy isn't goin to be into all that, and stopped.. now at 2 1/2 he is pretty good kid, cleans his toy area, helps cleaning around the house, does his school work when asked... only time we have major fits is when it comes to the potty.. he won't poppy on the pot.. lol
    you'll be fine.. it's a phase, and it will end if you let him know that he can't have it is way... ask Vin Diesel said "it's my way no highway option"... lol
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thank you all you wonderful moms!! You have given me hope...or at least helped me to realize this is very normal!

It just came out of the blue! And like I said, he was such a good boy up until now. I can understand that he gets frustrated...wants something but can't tell me exactly what, and he's growing and teething.. I mean, I can't imagine going through all that without making a peep! :)

I do enjoy my time with him, even when I am gritting my teeth! I adore him so much. And I do go to the gym and he goes into the daycare there and I get some ME time and he plays. And as we walk in and out he waves and smiles to everyone on the machines. TOO TOO CUTE!!

I can't believe he is as big as he is already!

Also, I find this to be a common theme among all parents....when you all left the hospital to come home with your babies, did it feel weird? Like..."Wow, they are actually letting me leave with this little person??"

Thanks again!!!
    Tami
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    WE stopped going out to eat for a few years because my oldest was a nightmare to take out. Throwing tantrums, screaming, telling us "NO!", UGH! He really pushed my buttons those years! I swear from 1-4 they are super difficult. But after that, especially when they go to school, it just calms down. Don't get me wrong, they still challenge me everyday, but I can handle this, not the kicking screaming on the floor of the grocery store!:laugh:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I can completely understand.
    I'm going through the freaking 4's right now with my older child. My daughter has turned into the devil. She is very rude, sarcastic and just doesn't listen anymore. :frown:
    She was so good until she started school (gotta blame someone lol).
    I guess it's part of their jobs to frustrate and embarrass the hell out of us.

Stay strong girl and you will get through this! :flowerforyou:
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    LOL I just have to laugh because I am the hateful alien from Mommared53's post... and lived to laugh about it!:laugh: It's ok though because I have birthed the payback child..... hmmm wonder why she doesn't babysit her grandchildren? :huh:

My 2 youngest are 2 and 4, no sooner does my daughter outgrow the "terrible twos" and we start liking her again then my son takes her place. This morning I seriously considered locking myself in the bathroom and not coming out until my husband could come home and DEAL with him!!!!! All I had to do was get him off to the sitter so I could head to my nice quiet office and that was almost more than I could handle. He has always been the "good" one and everyone's favorite! Hang in there it'll get better! Well, then worse, but hey you'll have the grade school years to enjoy first! :bigsmile:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm the lucky mom of a 3 and 4 1/2 yr old...LOL
    They all go through phases and I vividly remember 18mnths being TOUGHHHHHH!
    Like another poster said, just when they become 'easy' again they hit another stage and their behavior goes downhill...between having 2 kids so close in age, ONE is always in a bad mood...LOL

hang in there!
    Kim
  • Annabel_Lee13
    Options
    I understand what you are going through. My 2 year old daughter can be so sweet and then just can turn on you. Her favorite words are "NO" , "i don't like it" and "i don't want to". She wants everything her way and goes crazy when she doesn't get it. Hang in there it has to get better. One good thing: she is still a perfect angel when she is sleeping.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Tam,
    Once those teeth cut through, you are going to see a difference in your little man. He is MISERABLE. Your sweet baby is still there. He will continue to test your limits (that's his job), but he will be more calm once those teeth are through. I have a 23 mo old and she was like that before her 18mos. She was cutting teeth and then after 18 mos, her speech took off and now she's talking up a storm. Much of her frustration has been taken care of with her ability to communicate. I suspect this behavior is just part of a phase that will pass. GL. Now, we're trying to get our daughter through some allergies. She's just miserable at night!
  • mking
    mking Posts: 45
    Options
    i am the mom of 4 beautiful children and one angel. Whenever my 1 year old seems like to much I remember how precious our time is together. I lost a baby at 1 month old, and it makes me realize how important this time is with my children no-matter how many gray hairs they are causing!!! Be strong they all go through different phases! Take care!

melissa