Help! How to keep fit while injured?

Options
Hi everyone,

So have been told that on my right ankle once again needs surgery and I should stop "Zumba" and quite as intense exercises for now. The problem is that even after surgery I will be in a moon-boot for a while also and my exercises and walking will be restricted. So what I ask is , what are great exercises, workouts that don't focus so much on my legs but still provide a great energy expenditure and can still keep me fit (and hopefully so I still can keep loosing weight)??? I have access to a great university gym :D

Thanks,

Serena

Replies

• Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If you are on crutches that is a great workout!! It worked for me!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I think that this is something that you should discuss with your surgeon or doctor. Ankles are complex and any advice can only be general. Without understanding the injury and how any external stress may affect it, it is impossible to give decent exercise advice and likely that any advice is wrong and possibly damaging to you.

But, you can maintain and even continue to lose without exercise: it is just that for some people this is harder than with exercise.
  • Serenalal
    Serenalal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I completely agree, that my injury to put it lightly is complex, I was more asking exercises that would maybe focus focus on upper-body strengths etc? Does this make more sense?
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    When I broke my ankle years ago, I did upper body work like you suggest - anything you can do seated really, even leg raises and stuff were possible. I actually cycled and rowed (machines) as well so you might be able to do that after surgery, but check with your doctor.

I'd suggest going to a gym and getting an upper body routine set up now and look at what you might be able to do with your legs which doesn't impact the ankle.