Taekwondo for toddlers

Options
vb4evr
vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
Morning everyone,
Not sure if this is the right forum but thought I'd throw it out.
I've been thinking of placing my 2yr old daugher in what is called Baby Dragons Taekwondo. It of course wouldn't be a ton of actual martial arts more games, discipline and respect.

Anyone have any experience with programs like this or have any thoughts, good or bad?

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Both of my sons had some martial arts classes, though they were not so young. I think it was definitely good for them. The main thing I noticed is that there can be huge disparity with how the instructors deal with kids. Only a couple of them were very good, and several of them pretty much sucked.

See if they will let you watch a class or two from the sidelines, to get a feel for how they interact with the kids. Also, ask if they will have a regular instructor, or if they rotate amongst several.
  • vb4evr
    Options
    Awesome, I have no doubt instructors play a big part. Used to be a volleybll coach and you definitely could see huge differences in how coaches interacted with the kids. Felt bad for some of em.

In all actuality, I believe the mini-dragons (what I thought was baby-dragons) class is designed for the toddlers includes parents. As its more games and what not, just a building block for listening skills. But would definitely look at continuing on when they are older if run well.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    My older son (just turned 5) has the option to take a TKD class at his daycare (we have to pay extra for it). He did good the first 10 sessions and really seemed to enjoy it. The second set, he started clowning around in class, so once that session ended we didn't sign him back up, which he was upset about. I think it's a great program, it all depends on the kid.. there was one boy a year younger than my son that was one of the best in the class. They really tailor it to the younger crowd and make it fun while teaching the principles.

**ETA, I agree it is all about the instructor leading the class. The one over my son's class is amazing, he and his wife lead different programs all for the daycare aged kids.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    A couple relatives had their children in martial arts. What I saw as the best part is just what you said, they got some discipline and learned some respect. If your program is designed around kids it sounds great. I studied Choy Li Fut, Kung Fu for about a year in California. The kids I saw in the program basically just went thru the motions. The programs were taught to the kids, but they weren't designed for them and the kids knew it and didn't pay much attention. Their belts "appeared" to be more a reward for time served than for actual martial skill or form/function. Appearances can be deceiving, but that's what it looked like at that school.

So if you know of one designed by someone who knows about and understands kids, I would say go for it. They would teach it in a way, and at a pace the kids could actually get something from.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    My father put me in Kempo when I was four years old.
    It mostly consisted of running around however, I can distinctly remember periods of basic kicks and punches. LOTS of rolling around on the floor.
    As I got older and started to learn the "real thing", my mind was already conditioned to take the instruction, proper stances, balance, and general physical fitness.
    I stopped my studies when I joined the Army and even there, I became an instructor myself.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    We are planning on starting my boys - age 4 and 5 soon. I think it teaches a lot of good behaviors and is incredible exercise while still being fun for the kids.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could only be a positive thing. At the very least they'll get out some of their energy so Dad can have some peace and quiet afterward :)
  • tamarina09
    tamarina09 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I hold belts in both Karate and TaeKwonDo. I taught for a very long time, and I highly recommend martial arts for children. Even really little ones learn lots - especially around respect, discipline and taking direction from adults other than their parents. My students ranged in age from 3 to 82. (but my favorites to teach were the little ones!)
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    HOW CUTE!!! i think thats a good idea, its no differnt really than putting her in ballet or gymnastics!!
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Both of my older kids are black belts, and I am very close to it myself. I'll be testing for brown belt when I ever get enough money to go back. My 6 year old is a yellow belt. I think anything you do that is fun for your toddler and shows them that exercise is normal and fun is a great thing. But 2 is probably way too young to actually get any martial arts training out of it. But if you are modeling healthy behavior for them, I say go for it.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My 2 year old already has a hell of an upper cut and is a pro at kicking in the shins . . . I shutter at the thought of someone actually teaching him how to make them effective.

Just kidding! I think it's a great idea and have been considering something similar myself. The great thing about martial arts is that they are HEAVY on discipline and inner peace, I can give some of that discipline at home but am certainly no expert on self teaching self discipline or inner peace.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    2 years old is a hard age to judge. I have a daughter that just turned 4 and a son that is 2.5. I started the daughter in gymnastics at not quite 2.5. Most of the time, she could focus enough. At that age, any program teaches them mainly structure -- wait in line, respect other kids' time when it's their turn, etc. Now, my son is no where NEAR mentally mature enough to do gymnastics yet. He wouldn't be able to be able to wait his turn and probably wouldn't understand the drill they were explaining.
  • Mockingjay_24
    Options
    I think it's fantastic.

It teachers them morals and discipline, as well as respect for themselves and others. Plus the self confidence boost and social environment is fantastic for them.

The benefits are endless! :smile:
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Jujitsu would be better...

575096_10151010330745864_595555863_12238301_1192905553_n.jpg
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I just enrolled my son in a little ninja's program and cannot believe the difference in him already! Great experience so far. Two seems a little young, but if they enroll them that young then I'm sure they'll cater the class to that age group in a fun way. My son is four so they keep it pretty simple and very fun, but introduce the big concepts and movements into the class without getting into all of the explanations.

Each kid in the class "flips the instructor" at the end and their faces are PRICELESS! My son looked at me in awe and I can tell he was thinking, "How did I just do that!?" Too cute. Definitely a great confidence booster!
  • reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Both of my nephews starting TKD at age 4. The older is 10 now and a Junior Black Belt. The younger is 8 and testing for his Black Belt this summer. Both are going to nationals for a second year in a row. Their skill sets are completely different. The older does really well in forms and it has been a real exercise for him to become a competitor in sparring. He just doesn't like jabbing/kicking the other kids. The younger is a little scrapper and will fight like no one's business. His challenge has been to harness that energy and try to focus on forms.

It has been a great and useful experience for them to be involved in such a sport. It has helped both of them work on their own challenges and be a part of a special team. The support there has been amazing and they really have a second family with all the others there. My SIL started classes there a couple years later and just got her purple belt. My Bro isn't into it for himself, but supports all their efforts.

I say go for it!
  • vb4evr
    Options
    Thanks for all the great thoughts and feedback everyone.

While I agree I think 2 years is kind of young and she definitely goes through the solar flares of a child... oooh shiny! I think its as others have mentioned on games, waiting their turn, listening. I think will also be something fun for her and I to do together. Think gymnastics and other programs designed for this age are pretty much the same thing just a different discipline.
    =)
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    There is one near here called Kiddie Karate, LOL. I want to take my two year old but I've been waiting for her to get a little better at following directions, plus trying to get my schedule to work around it. She's two and a few months now so it seems to be time. It's listed that parents have to participate and it's only half an hour. They emphasize fitness and respect too. I think it's a fantastic idea. Especially since I want her to have self defense training of some sort as soon as she is old enough.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    If I had the funds, I'd enroll myself and my 2.5yr old
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I was in Taekwondo when I was really young. I'm not sure exactly how old, but it's my earliest memory, I believe before my parents split up. I don't remember much of it, but I have a few good memories of it.