Need some help for my June plan

Options
In june i'm planning to go on a "Just fruits and vegetables" sort of diet. I cook ALOT, so i'm always reaching towards the bacon, the angus, the teriyaki chicken breast...etc etc. I don't give myself enough options in the fruit and vegetable department other than a few roasted potato wedges, tomatoes on my burgers and some bell peppers.

I'm doing this for 3 reasons:

1. Expand my culinary outlook by being able to utilize vegetables and fruits more in various dishes. Might even add some new recipes to the third book.
2. Kind of like a detox to see what kind of transformation a month without meat and other things will do to me and maybe adapt it into a lifestyle change for me.
3. It's on my bucket list because my *kitten* friends think i'm to much of a little piggy to stop eating bacon and cheeburgers lol

With that being said. I have a few questions for the professionals that stalk these forums and it goes a little something like this.

1. Is it healthy to do? I know a raw vegan and she's looking very very well (I could have added a few more very's actually lol) and never seems to have health issues or problems with her diet or energy. But since i've never ventured this route it seems hard to imagine i'm not gonna be hurting myself more than helping. So, should I try just fruits and vegetables? or should I add in nuts, grains, dairy, granola, etc etc.

2. What are some good meal choices any of you eat that you just LOVE that would fit into my plan for the month. I have a few that I have prepared myself but it's alwaysnice to have confirmation that dishes are tasteful and worth the effort. Prep and cook time need not apply, I'll spend 3 hours making something ifI know it's worth it.

3. Any other general comments, concerns, heckling, encouragement, i'm all for it. Looking forward to the help and general conversation

:drinker:

Replies

• artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The most I can really contribute as a meat eater would be to eat your beans. Research the veggies that have protein in them and be sure to include them in everyday meals. :)

Also, try looking into more traditional Asian cuisine (not the bastardized American buffet choices). There are a lot of meatless dishes there. Just beware of too much sodium in the sauces like soy sauce.

Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll find plenty of amazing vegetarian/vegan recipes.
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Well, I personally love chicken and I am already horrible at getting a good amount of veggies/fruit into my diet although I love them both..but personally I don't think I could ONLY eat fruits/vegetables. I'd at least have to incorporate some from of high protein yogurt, nuts, and grains to keep me full of energy and fulfilled. I would probably burn out and cave in if I jumped head first into it. Maybe take one or two things out at a time from your diet until you are eating primarily fruits/veggies...perhaps easing into it will give you a good idea of what you can handle and what is an unreasonable expectation of what your body can/can't handle. Just my two cents ;) Good luck!
  • Pinkgirl319
    Pinkgirl319 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I gave up meat for lent a year ago thinking I would lose all kinds of weight and I did not. It also messed up my um (cough) regularity so if you do this, pay attention to that because it is very important to getting the toxins out of your body.

For me personally it is harder when I don't allow myself something because then I crave it more. As soon as I gave up meat I was craving Mcdonalds chicken nuggets like a 5 year old nugget fiend! I hadn't had Mcdonalds for who knows how long before that but as soon as it was forbidden it was all I could think about. I'd suggest 1 or 2 cheat days a week to eat lean protein, chicken, salmon, turkey. I learned to love morning star vegetarian foods and I still do!

A couple other things that helped me were watching Food Inc., and other documentary movies like that on Netflix.

Some options:
    http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2008/06/12/top-10-movies-that-make-you-go-meatless.aspx

Good Luck in whatever you decide!
  • Elliemage
    Elliemage Posts: 25
    Options
    I've been vegan for a while and I adore it- I've never felt better!

Things that have helped me:

*Focus on whole foods. There are vegan meat substitutes, cheese substitutes etc., but they are still processed foods that contain a lot of sodium without being super nutritionally dense. I eat them once and a while, but for the most part, plain old plants make up the majority of my diet. Same goes for grains- I eat them, but generally only a serving or two a day as a side/ accompaniment for the main deal: The veggies.

*Beans are super filling and can be an awesome addition to pretty much any meal. Buy lots of different kinds and experiment!

*Someone mentioned regularity- if you give up dairy, you WILL be regular. A lot of people who only give up meat have issues with this because it's normal to sub some of that meat with dairy and eggs. As long as you're giving up all animal products and eating whole foods, your digestive system will adore you!

*Veggies can be cooked in SO many ways! Roast them, fry them, steam them, grill them- the combinations are endless and the more you experiment, the more awesome combination's you'll come up with

*SURPRISE! Pizza is super awesome without cheese on it! (Weird, I know.) Try making mini- pizzas on whole grain flatbread or pitas and loading them up with veggies- pretty low on calories and super delicious! If you really miss the cheese, though, Daiya is my favorite brand of vegan cheese substitute.

Finally, good luck! Eating plant-based has totally changed my life, even if you're only doing it for a month, I think it'll be a good month for you :) Feel free to message me if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help! Also, here are a couple of my favorite vegan blogs for ideas!:

http://epicureanvegan.com/

http://veganonthecheap.tumblr.com/tagged/food
  • Puggy33
    Puggy33 Posts: 300
    Options
    I watched food inc...and sadly it didn't stop me from eating like a T-Rex. :(
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You'll need to get protein somewhere so eat beans, tofu, etc. I think it's a great way to challenge yourself.

Good luck to you! I hope you prove to your friends you are way stronger than they think you are!
  • Meevz
    Meevz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty bold thing to try! I could never give up meat, it is an essential nutrient in my diet. Plus its yummy!! My best advice is make sure you are getting your protein elsewhere. Protein is vital for weight loss especially when you are working out a lot!
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    definitely add dairy/nuts and grains to your mix!

and don't forget to take a protein supplement to make up for the lack in that department (you can't depend on just nuts for that-they can be high in fats).

also, morningstar farms makes great vegetarian products such as veggie sausage, mushroom burgers, etc. they all taste great, so don't be afraid to try them!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You might want to look at this website: http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/

It is all veggies (always healthy) all the time. She has an insane amount of veggie ideas - literally from A to Z.

Good luck - just be sure to balance your meals, to ensure your body is getting the right mix of essential nutrients.
  • MsSureWould
    MsSureWould Posts: 11
    Options
    One word: Quinoa!
    So many fabulous recipes -- hot or cold (for the summer).
    I don't do much meat, I'll eat it when I'm out but besides fish -- I won't prepare it. With circuit training multiple times a week as well as running daily I needed a way to get my protein.
    I've done the bars and the shakes, but I have found Quinoa gives me much more satisfaction. Because of this I can make my diet primarily fruits & veggies.

Especially in the summer when ido a 2 months "Raw Only" diet.

Good Luck!!!
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    I have a suggestion. Try to pick up this book:

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness by Scott Jurek and Steve Friedman

It comes out June 5th. This guy is an ultramarathoner, and a vegan. No, I'm not suggesting you go Vegan :), but there's supposed to be some pretty good non-meat recipes in the book. Good luck!

O! O! I thought of something else! www.bountifulbaskets.org.
    You order Monday morning at Noon (10 AM if you in Utah), and pick your basket up on Saturday. It's fun, and you get different fruits and veggies every week. PLUS, you get a ton of food for $15!!

I might have to do this with you....you've got me thinking about it now :).
  • Puggy33
    Options
    Yea, i've been working out quite a bit recently and double timing the cardio, maybe i'll try giving up meat and leaving the others around just to play with and see how that works at first and then transition into a fruits and vegetable. Maybe start small by having my lunches only consist of it and then moving forward. Loving the input guys keep it comming!
  • bozzalozza
    bozzalozza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian or a vegan, but I do eat loads of veggies, plus eating at least 2-3 dinners a week with no meat. Basically I pick a vegetable for dinner, then find an awesome recipe that dominates with that vegetable. Sometimes with meat, sometimes without.

And a few of my favourite vegetable recipes, coz I love to cook:

Courgette Fritters with Tomato & Feta Salsa (a staple in our house!)
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3623/courgette-fritters-with-tomato-and-feta-salsa

Creamed Spinach (lower in calories coz it uses creme fraiche)
    http://www.riverford.co.uk/feed/in:recipes/creamed-spinach-or-chard-with-garlic-basil/

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas (great for snacking!)
    http://www.anjasfood4thought.com/2011/09/spicy-roasted-chickpeas.html

Baked Haloumi (not vegetable, but I will eat this along side the couscous recipe below)
    http://aweebitofcooking.co.uk/2009/10/13/baked-halloumi/

Couscous Salad (I use this as a base recipe, which I then throw any vegetable, fruit, seeds or cheese I want into it...esp tomatos, avocado, sultanas, pinenuts...whatever really!)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/couscoussalad_1921

Roast Cauliflower with Saffron & Pinenuts (vegan!)
    http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2010/11/world-vegan-day-a-tribute-5-ingredients/

Roasted broccoli (another staple in our house...I can easily eat 1/2 head of broccoli this way!)
    http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2011/08/09/how-to-roast-broccoli/

Any vegetable based recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi. He's a chef in London who rocks my vegetable world. He does a regular article in the Guardian newspaper here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/series/yotam-ottolenghi-recipes) but you should check out his two cookbooks, they are hands down awesome. An example of a deceptively simple but absolutely awesome recipe from him is:

Sweet Potato Gratin (this is on our table at Christmas every year...its THAT good!)
    http://whatsfordinnerdarling.wordpress.com/2009/10/28/sweet-potato-gratin/

I have loads more sources for recipes, if you want. Just let me know...always happy to share!
  • Puggy33
    Options
    ^^^^ AWESOME!!!
  • Puggy33
    Options
    I don't do much meat, I'll eat it when I'm out but besides fish -- I won't prepare it. With circuit training multiple times a week as well as running daily I needed a way to get my protein.
    I've done the bars and the shakes, but I have found Quinoa gives me much more satisfaction. Because of this I can make my diet primarily fruits & veggies.

Good Luck!!!

Sounds intense! I just looked up Quinoa and I am not familiar with it, i'm going to hacve alot of fun experimenting in the kitchen with it. Good call!
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Good Luck!!!

Sounds intense! I just looked up Quinoa and I am not familiar with it, i'm going to hacve alot of fun experimenting in the kitchen with it. Good call!

Quinoa is indeed AMAZING...but last time I checked you can't eat it RAW.

Anyhow, I like your ambition and your spunk! This should make you feel really good. If you want to go fruits and veggies only, try it for sure...but maybe only for 5-7 days, with minimal exercise. I did this recently and then gradually added protein and carbs (but no grains other than quinoa) back in. During that time, I had fruit smoothies for breakfast with LOTS of dark berries (lower sugar, high antioxidants), if you have a juicer: veggie juices for lunch with lots of greens (try adding parsley, cilantro, or basil with lemon and lime juice too for lots of flavor), and either pureed homemade veggie soups or sweet potatoes for dinner. Avocados make great snacks too! When I brought back the protein I had only eggs and fish for a while, then chicken and now I only very occasionally eat a little red meat. Flavor is key when you eat plant-based, garlic, lemon, herbs, chili, spices etc... Feel free to browse my diary and recipes tho there are only a few so far! And this cookbook is FANTASTIC! The sauces and dressings are where it's at! http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-World-Fusion-Cuisine-Award-Winning/dp/0975283715
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I know people that have been on a juice fast like in the movie "Fat sick and nearly dead" and they lost a lot of weight. My uncle did it for 30 days and doesn't need his heart medication anymore, he's a lot healthier now. I'm thinking about replacing my breakfast with fruit/veggie juice. Worth a shot!
  • Puggy33
    Options
    Yea I started building a meal plan based on having everything but meat for my meals and keeping my lunches strictly Juices/smoothies.

I have a recipe I just whipped up for a sweet potato Au gratin variation off the mentioned one above i'm going to try it and see how I like it, if it's good, i'll post pictures and recipe for you all.

Again, thanks for all the help it's nice to have your support.
  • bull_dog44
    bull_dog44 Posts: 16
    Options
    I actually knew a vegetarian body builder; it can be healthy but the adjustment back to meat can be a rough ride! terror on your stomach is my understanding.

Have you tried doing a lean meat diet? Chicken/Turket only? I did that years ago and went from 245-185 in about 3.5 months.
  • bull_dog44
    bull_dog44 Posts: 16
    Options
    I watched food inc...and sadly it didn't stop me from eating like a T-Rex. :(

I know right?? Have you Watched Food Matters? Also on Netflix, but crazy interesting.