Pre & Post-workout drinks/supplements???

Options

Replies

• biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    Pre- MHP X-Fit Trainer(really like it, has helped reduce lactic acid build up)
    During- Water
    After- Optimum nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard
  • fieldsy4life
    fieldsy4life Posts: 155
    Options
    Pre: Arginine, BCAAs, Caffeine (pill), plus all my vitamins and fish oil, and a Lara/Odwalla/Clif bar.
    During: Water

I do everything everyone on this site says not to do and seem to be developing quite nicely given the fact I started training in February...

But then again, I'm wealthy from being single and living at home so I get my rocks off spending money on bodybuilding.com ;)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Pre: Superpump max or neurocore

During: Size-on pre-contest

Post: It's usually oats and eggs with 1/4 scoop of whey protein powder in the oats. Leukic, bcaa, fish oils, and creatine.
  • Meevz
    Meevz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pre- nothing
    During- nothing
    (only nothing so I can then do my weigh-in after my workout)
    Post- Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder- most delicious whey protein powder Ive ever had! All the flavors are good!!
  • jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    Pre: Coffee

why coffee? for the energy boost?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. Some people exercise early might prefer a fasted training experience others need to eat. Either way, you don't need crazy supplementation for any of this.

Fasted Exercise
    - Pre: 10grams of BCAA's
    - During: 10grams of BCAA's

Simple huh? LOL

This is what I take prior to a lifting session (per my nutritionist)
    - Pre: 1K to 2K mg's of Taurine, 200mg's Caffeine (I think that's it), 5grams Creatine Mono, 5grams EAA's, 54grams of Oats with 2tbsp's Natural PB and 1 serving of Whey
    - During: 10grams of BCAA's with 5grams of Creatine

Experiment I'm going to try:
    - Pre: My pre will include the supplements from above but subbing-out the food portion for 26grams of Carbs from a startchy carb drink (Karboload from TrueNutrition.com) and a glucose re-partitioning supplement and 10grams of BCAA's
    - During: Karboload (26grams) + 10grams of BCAA's
    - Post: as stated above with the glucose re-partitioning agent.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    3 to 5 caffine pills a day
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Seriously? A poptart? LOL!

Check the nutritional info of that Amp 60...lol

I know the nutritional info thanks.
  • braykay23
    braykay23 Posts: 28
    Options
    I read the about drinking chocolate milk after a work out also but when I actually looked at the nutritional info on the chocolate milk, it has a ton of sugar in one serving so I bought premier protein drinks at costco. The chocolate flavor tastes just like chocolate milk. They have 30 grams of protein and only 1 gram of sugar in one drink. I drink half pre workout and half post. Water during.
  • shanae727
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. Some people exercise early might prefer a fasted training experience others need to eat. Either way, you don't need crazy supplementation for any of this.

Fasted Exercise
    - Pre: 10grams of BCAA's
    - During: 10grams of BCAA's

Simple huh? LOL

This is what I take prior to a lifting session (per my nutritionist)
    - Pre: 1K to 2K mg's of Taurine, 200mg's Caffeine (I think that's it), 5grams Creatine Mono, 5grams EAA's, 54grams of Oats with 2tbsp's Natural PB and 1 serving of Whey
    - During: 10grams of BCAA's with 5grams of Creatine

Experiment I'm going to try:
    - Pre: My pre will include the supplements from above but subbing-out the food portion for 26grams of Carbs from a startchy carb drink (Karboload from TrueNutrition.com) and a glucose re-partitioning supplement and 10grams of BCAA's
    - During: Karboload (26grams) + 10grams of BCAA's
    - Post: as stated above with the glucose re-partitioning agent.
    thanks for the break down!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Then why balk at poptarts? It's a pretty common one...
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Pre - BSN HyperFX before cardio, Bodybuilding.com Build XS before resistance training. I've also tried Cellucor C4 (not bad, not great), BSN NO Xplode 2.0 (worked great but stimulant hit was TOO much for me), Musclepharm Assault (worked great at first but built up a tolerance to it unusually fast compared to others I've tried), ProMera Beta-Cret (crap), GNC Ravage (crap), Optimum Nutrition AmiNO (decent but not great). I ordered a tub of another one I haven't tried that should be here tomorrow. Also I make it a point to eat a snack roughly an hour before my workout consisting of a small amount of a slow digesting protein (usually cottage cheese) and a fruit.

During - Water

Post - Depending on whether I'm working out at home or at the gym I will either use a protein shake and an apple OR I will prepare myself a proper meal consisting of meat and starchy carbohydrates (fast absorbing) immediately after. I take 5g creatine mono on off days and after cardio on non-lifting days. I don't take it after lifting sessions because the pre workout I use on lifting days contains a full 5g of creatine mono already.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Pre: Coffee

why coffee? for the energy boost?

Taking caffeine before a workout is believed to increase caloric burn from exercise as well as give you a little extra push to go longer and harder. It's why most pre workouts contain hefty doses of caffeine (roughly 3x the amount you'll find in a cup of coffee, but because it's usually sourced from green tea extract it's believed to be a "cleaner" source of caffeine).
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Pre: Cellucor C4 Extreme
  • rwisner
    rwisner Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I read a study that said chocolate milk was the most effective post workout drink out of ANYTHING on the market.

Just goes to show you to keep it simple. :smile:

Wow!! Didn't know this!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

I like that, I've never actually thought about Pop Tarts and I friggin' LOVE Pop Tarts. LOL
  • shanae727
    Options

Geez, I just thought he was joking.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Geez, I just thought he was joking.

My mistake then, and I apologize if I came off as rude. It's quite common practice. Cheap, easy to transport, fast access to carbs, tastes good (though not as good as toaster strudels).
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    before a long run: water or water with a electrolyte mix in

during: water

after: Light Muscle Milk and then water with an electrlyte mix in
  • gnarlynoodle
    gnarlynoodle Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I like that, I've never actually thought about Pop Tarts and I friggin' LOVE Pop Tarts. LOL

Right? I'm going to add it to my grocery list like.. right now. Apparently chocolate milk, too. I love Shakeology (though, i'm not huge on the chocolate) but it's just not in my budget.