Why the scale should have NOTHING on you. (pics)

Options
kekl
kekl Posts: 382 Member
I took some progress pictures today and I would like to share them with you.

First, here is me almost 5 years ago. I was a junior in high school. I had gone down from my normal weight of 140ish to somewhere between 110-120 lbs. I was going under a lot of stress with college,job,extracurriculars,family,etc and so I lost my appetite and as a result, a lot of weight. I felt tired all the time, I had little energy left over after daily tasks, and of course, I didn't exercise. I have no idea how much I ate but it was definately below/around 1200 calories a day.The pants you see me wearing in the picture are size 5s. I tried out for track in the spring and felt my life flash before my eyes during the first warmup, that's how out of shape I was. :laugh:

tumblr_m4j7o6pCBV1rwnly7o1_r1_500.jpg
(ignore my face haha)

Flash forward to now.....

tumblr_m4j7o6pCBV1rwnly7o2_r1_500.jpg

This is me today. I weigh 152.5 lbs at the moment (yes, that's right, I am 30-40 lbs HEAVIER than I was). I still have work to do but I think I look way way better. I definately feel better, that's for sure. I eat around 2000 calories net just to maintain my weight. I can do things physcially that I have never been able to do in my life. I can run two miles in under 16 minutes. I can do over 50 pushups in a row (real, military pushups). I can (almost!) do a pullup. I can lift my 200lb brother and carry him around. I can climb a rope. I have muscle definition in my arms, legs and back, I am even starting to get abs, which you can see from the first picture, I was no where NEAR getting them, despite my weight.

And those size 5 pants I was wearing in the first picture? Yeah, I still have them. I can still fit into them too, although they do give me a bit of a muffin top, but not bad for gaining 40 lbs, right? :laugh:

What I am trying to say with this post is DON'T GIVE YOUR SCALE SO MUCH POWER. Day in and day out I see posts on the boards and from my friends on how dissapointed they are that they 'were so good' and either gained or maintained, when there are so many factors that could be going on to make that.

The amount of lbs you weigh is not the 'end all' of everything - there is so much more to your health and fitness than that arbitrary number. Concentrate on something else. Concentrate on how you look, how you feel, how you're losing inches or gaining strength or endurance.

Enjoy life, throw your scale out the window. (or atleast only weigh in once a week at the MOST)

Have a great day everyone. I hope if you needed perspective this may help

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• rocketass99
    rocketass99 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    great point! you look fantastic
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I love this!! You look amazing :)
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous. Well done and agree with your attitude. My scale is getting closer and closer to being chucked out the window.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    love love love love!!!!!

Such a great post! You look AMAZING!!!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    The scale, although it isn't the only one, is an important indicator. No it doesn't show everything, but YES it IS important.

But good job on your progress.:flowerforyou:
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    Good for you!!
    I weigh almost the exact same weight as I did last November (minus 5 lbs.). In November I was a size 14 and now I'm a 10/12 depending on the label. Scales suck! :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I wish I had your wisdom when I was your age. Fantastic post!
  • spayurdog
    spayurdog Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You're right--you look much better now--Perfect!!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    You look great!

I struggle with this every day. i have to keep telling myself that it's not about the number, it's about how good I look and how proud I am of my hard work.
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Agreed! My life changed when I stopped weighing myself every day. Suddenly my mood wasn't dependant on what that number said. And oddly enough, when I felt more fit and good about myself... my "skinny" clothes seemed to fit. I would have never put them on if the scale said otherwise.
  • bricktowngal
    bricktowngal Posts: 206
    Options
    I agree 110%. Thanks for sharing
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    WTG!

You hit it right on the button!

Strength & health are not dictated by our weight!

Keep up the good work!
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! Thank you for sharing!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I think I love you.

I have been scale obsessed for a few months now.................I put it in the closet about a week ago, and am forcing myself to let the damn thing GO!

It has caused me more misery than it's worth......as I know I have lost weight, I KNOW my clothes are flapping around me, I KNOW i AM EATING BETTER, moving more, feeling like it's working.......but that freakinfrakkenfuggin scale keeps bringin' me down.

I don't plan to weigh more than once a month.........if ever. I did step on this morning for a baseline, and wasn't drowning in my sorrow, so I know what I weight right now, and that's 22 lbs less than a year ago. I think I should REJOICE in that, right???

YOU rock, girl. And look amazing :glasses: :bigsmile: :glasses: :bigsmile:
  • LoriJ1782
    LoriJ1782 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I KNOW this in my head but I still give the scale too much power. This has helped me to remember that the scale doesn't know everything!
  • kaylork10
    kaylork10 Posts: 2
    Options
    Great job, and keep up the good work. You are very inspiring, I hope to gain the motivation, dedication and energy from your posts. I started an MBA and between that, injuries from the military, and depression, I keep falling off the PT wagon. I read your posts and reagain that motivation though so thanks.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Great post!!
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    This thread is perfect fo rme today. My scale is dead nadi bought a new battery and it still doenst work and i was freakking out thingking i need to weigh myself but now after seeing this pictures and hearing your story the scale should hav eno affect on me what so ever. It is just a number. Howw you feel and look should be wha tyou base it on. thanks for this. adn you look great by the way :happy:
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    awesome thread. you're an inspiration!! you go girl!
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    This maybe my favorite post since i've been on here (20+ days)...Awesome job!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!