I might be a wackadoodle but....

Options
maltipink
maltipink Posts: 147 Member
I know this may sound crazy but any week that I eat large quantities of vegetables (sauteed onions and snow peas), I not only get really horrid gas but I also do not seem to lose any weight. I have figured the calories and they are not significant in any way. I have changed nothing else in my diet except for the addition of these veggies. Up until 4 weeks ago when I started eating them my weight loss was steady. I don't get it! please help?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If they are sauteed in butter or oil they could be high in calories. If you grill or roast them it helps keep the calories down.
  • maltipink
    Options
    I wish that was the case. The only thing I put on them is a non stick cooking spray and a spicy 5 calorie condiment. It doesn't make sense.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You need more fat to lubricate your food and stimulate bile production and enzyme release by your pancreas
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    All vegetables or onions/snow peas in general?

I think the weight gain is either unconnected or the gas may be associated with bloating and an intolerance.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You might have some fiber clogs going on. :)
  • pixelish
    pixelish Posts: 54
    Options
    FYI - non-stick cooking spray is essentially vegetable oil. How long has your weight loss be stalled?
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    sounds like it could be an intolerance. Does this happen with all vegetables or just some? If you're intolerant then avoid those things and eat different vegetables instead.

Also peas and other pulses (beans, lentils) are digested more easily if you have the right kind of gut bacteria, probiotics might help with that.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    sounds like it could be an intolerance. Does this happen with all vegetables or just some? If you're intolerant then avoid those things and eat different vegetables instead.

Also peas and other pulses (beans, lentils) are digested more easily if you have the right kind of gut bacteria, probiotics might help with that.

This /\

Maybe try cutting down on them, or trying some different vegetables in their place?
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    FYI - non-stick cooking spray is essentially vegetable oil. How long has your weight loss be stalled?
    No need to be a smarta**, it's a quantity issue of not getting enough fat from cooking sprays
  • maltipink
    Options
    My weight has been stalled for 4 weeks now. Some times, I will go 4 days in a row where my weight is exactly to the .01 same. I am eating only snow peas and onions. I have had the gas reaction to lettuce and cabbage as well. I did not think about possibly adding more fat. I am not using much cooking spray so there is not much fat in that. Also, can an "intolerance" stall weight loss? Thank you so much for all these responses!!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I get really gassy with lots of lettuce, too.

And yeah an intolerance could TOTALLY stall weight loss. Basically, your body isn't working efficiently. I'd say just make some different choices on how you fuel your body. People react to different foods differently........it's why low carb works for some and not others or cutting sugar or cutting dairy. I guess you need to cut peas and onions. ;)
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If those are the only vegetables you are eating, and you weren't eating any vegetables before, I'd guess your digestive system is adjusting to the changes. Vegetables are requiring a different balance of enzymes to digest and your body is taking a bit of time to adjust, and that's slightly lowering your weight loss effeciency. Keep it up and your enzymes will get aligned.

Peas and cabbage both are quite good for you and should be worth the time it takes :)

I have heard of people having issues with onions before-- maybe skip those?

And the gas you get from cabbage and beans should go away over time, as well. Perhaps consider taking a probiotics supplement or eating yogurt regularly.

Maybe you could try adding turmeric to your veg when you cook them-- it shouldn't change the flavor too much, but it will make everything a pretty color and supposedly helps with digestion.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4cv6zxjdK1qb7udxo2_r1_250.gif
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Also-- can we see your food journal? And what's your weight and goal weight?
  • maltipink
    Options
    I am going to take a break on the veg this week. It would be about right that I find something I can eat large quantities of with little calories and it STALLS my weight loss :( So frustrating! Polly, I so wish that this would get better with time but my past experience with it has not been hopeful. i went through a period where I thought I would help my weight loss by eating a huge salad every night for dinner for months. Those months were gassy with no weight loss. As far as my food log.. Up until the last couple of days, I have not been tracking on myfitness pal. I actually belong to weight watchers and journal on their website. I started tracking here the last couple of days to see if maybe my calories were too high even though I was eating within the alloted "points" I get on weight watchers. It turns out that my calories are right around 1300. I am 5'10.5", currently way 155 and have an ultimate goal of 140 but I would take 145 or 147.
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    our stomachs have difficulty digesting many of the fibers/cellulose present in many vegetables. fats, proteins, and most carbohydrates are easily digestible in the stomach and small inestine, but whatever remains undigested by the time it reaches the large intestine is consumed by our gut flora, colonies of bacteria that live in our large intestine. They begin fermenting the fiberous material and breaking it down into smaller fatty acids. The byproduct of this fermentation is a few gasses. Nitrogen, methane, carbon dioxide, and a few more. These gasses are known as flatus, which is where we get the term flatulence.

SO excess gas means your bacterial flora are working overtime to digest materials your other organs did not. There are supposedly enzyme supplements you can take to help and some people claim chewing more aids in digestion, at the end of the day if your stomach and small intestine cannot digest it, your bacteria will. This is a VERY simplified explanation, of course.