Lunch disaster

Options
JediSwan
JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
So this will teach me to look up calories PRIOR to going out to eat. I had a taco salad at
a local restaurant and its 715 calories!! I about fell over when I read that. MFP says I should
have 1800 per day but I have been averaging 1200 and want to get it up to 1500 but yikes!

I have a serious issue with watching EVERYTHING I eat. Over watching actually. My husband
is concerned because I wont eat over a certain amount and he's afraid I'm gonna get sick.
He loves me the way I am (which he should I suppose) but I dont so I'm trying to get healthier
and lose this weight . . . I have 60 to go.

Anyone else have lunch/meal remorse?

Replies

• Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i know that feeling i ued to try and only have seconds of vegies and meat but like spegii we had premade meatballs and italian sausage omg thye had so many cals its rediclous especially the sausage
  • Rolande55
    Rolande55 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No remorse lately since I've been planning better and bringing my lunches. Restaurants are notorious for hidden calories and in my case "gluten". Even stopping in at a grocery store to grab a veggie and dip from the produce section is better than that, but watch the dressing!
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I had a DQ blizzard the other day, I was expecting around 400 calories... nope! A whopping 690! Definitely should have checked that first!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It happens to all of us. Just don't look back. Go on with your healthy eating plan. By the way....did the taco salad come in a deep fried bowl?
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    No remorse, just a better workout! Eating exercise calories is great! If you are struggling to eat enough, search for the threads about eating more to lose better. Don't punish yourself for enjoying a meal out! And stressing too much will NOT help you to lose!
    You will be fine!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    One meal won't kill you, so just eat normally for the rest of the day.

1200 isn't much anyway, so you've probably got room for a little error.

If you're obsessive about the calorie counting for a bit, you will eventually learn what good choices are, and what things that seem like good choices but (taco salad) aren't... but it takes some trial and error.

And as long as you're eating enough calories (do some research, don't just take MFP's word for it or set your goal for 1200 b/c that's the minimum) and getting your vitamins, you shouldn't get sick from dieting.

Good for your hubby for loving you as you are!

Good luck to you :-)
    Jen
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I had a DQ blizzard the other day, I was expecting around 400 calories... nope! A whopping 690! Definitely should have checked that first!

Yeah, Blizzards can be notorious due to the add in cookies/candy. They're so good though...
  • scubalynnie
    scubalynnie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I totally relate to the "over watching"! Trying to plan meals with my boyfriend has been interesting. I try to plan 2 or 3 days ahead and he just looks at me funny!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have the same dynamic. I feel guilty all the time, he mocks me and says " I SHOULDNT HAVE EATEN THAT!" all the time 'cause thats my saying... lol
    he says, "why do you think you have to lose weight? I think you should eat that brownie sundae."

But on the serious side, if I go to a restuarant I always look it up before we even go so I know what Im getting and what Im eating. Just good policy.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    A similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago eating sushi. It's raw fish and rice for heaven's sake. How bad could it be? When I looked up the calorie count on my three rolls it totalled over 1000 calories! I've learned my lesson and make better sushi choices (for instance as good as a rainbow california roll is, it's almost twice the calories of a regular california roll).

Don't let one lunch bug you so much. You're clearly doing well, and you'll recover quickly. Do a little extra time at the gym or skip your evening snack and most of all, pat yourself on the back for the good things you're doing and don't beat yourself up for one unintentional overindulgence.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I totally relate to the "over watching"! Trying to plan meals with my boyfriend has been interesting. I try to plan 2 or 3 days ahead and he just looks at me funny!

Me too!
  • JediSwan
    Options
    My husband is really good at telling me what he thinks I should eat and that a little ice cream, cookies, etc is not a bad thing.
    I gave in to ice cream last night. :) I eat healthy 95% of the time. I dont know how to not watch my calories like a hawk.
    My husband does not mock me, cause then he gets the look. But he does take a shot here or there when he thinks I'm being
    ridiculous.

This weekend is hopefully gonna be easier rather than hard. We are going camping with my parents and to a festival . . . I know
    how to be good . .. its the temptation that bothers me.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i love taco salad, but yup after they fry the tortilla fattening!

When I crave Mexican, I get a enchilada or 2 chicken tacos.

(no sour cream)

Why do husbands do this? Listen to your inner voice.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories for 9 weeks and working out 3 x a week and I mean a vigerous 1 hr 1/2- and actually found out I was under eating. AND: I did plateau after I lost only 10 pounds. I was so aggrivated and frustrated- head aches and still tired and so limited on food choices. But I did the TEDEE. Upped my calories to 1500 and Feel better -more food options and lost 2 lbs. and I just started this tuesday-today is thursday. Dont get so hung up on food and adjust your numbers according to what you burn- you will fail and make yourself sick. Hes right. Go to fitnessfrog.com go to the calculator- be GOD HONEST and get your TEDEE subtract 15 to 20% and roung down to the lower number (JUST an Example:TEDEE # -15% 1578=1500), and thats the calories you should be eating. Your body needs fuel to burn, otherwise you will go into starvation mode and get no where when your body holds on to every bit of food you eat. You have to eat clean. A little something here and there is ok, as long as you stay in your calorie range AND make sure its a health version (example: Ice cream= skinny cow (low calorie). Hope this helps.
  • AndMee
    AndMee Posts: 23
    Options
    I don't have remorse any more since I started what I call the "burger burn". I calculate the calories I burn during my workouts and when I reach 2,000 I enjoy whatever "outside" food I want. I usually only choose one meal for the day to do this with. This gives me something to look forward to and with our children it lets them see I can be just like everyone else every now and then.

Adding shakes to your day would be a good way to add calories as shakes can add a little or a lot (depending on how it is made). There are a lot of choices in adding more good calories to your day. Dried fruits have more calories than fresh, nuts have a lot of calories as well.

Play with your food/recipes. You don't eat the same everyday so don't fret on the days you are a little lower on your calories because the next day you may eat more.

Good luck in your food adventures.
  • overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    But on the serious side, if I go to a restuarant I always look it up before we even go so I know what Im getting and what Im eating. Just good policy.

I do this too. I also enter in my meals before I eat them -- that way I can see how the calories are distributed and adjust accordingly -- i.e. eat more of the food that's "worth it," calorie-wise.

But I don't stress too much if I go over -- I plan for about 100 calories less than I should, just because that works for me psychologically. :) I had a run of 3 really bad days due to several events with food beyond my control, and know what? I STILL lost weight. :D Sometimes going over helps break a plateau.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I try not to have meal remorse. I ate what I ate and that's the end of it. I will try to figure out why I ate something bad to see if I can make a different decision the next time. Yesterday I had a delicious very fattening cannelloni for lunch because I was super tired and I think my body was craving the fat since I eat low fat all the time. Didn't worry too much about it since I exercised and I always eat at or below 1200 calories. It's not worth stressing out over.
  • JediSwan
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories for 9 weeks and working out 3 x a week and I mean a vigerous 1 hr 1/2- and actually found out I was under eating. AND: I did plateau after I lost only 10 pounds. I was so aggrivated and frustrated- head aches and still tired and so limited on food choices. But I did the TEDEE. Upped my calories to 1500 and Feel better -more food options and lost 2 lbs. and I just started this tuesday-today is thursday. Dont get so hung up on food and adjust your numbers according to what you burn- you will fail and make yourself sick. Hes right. Go to fitnessfrog.com go to the calculator- be GOD HONEST and get your TEDEE subtract 15 to 20% and roung down to the lower number (JUST an Example:TEDEE # -15% 1578=1500), and thats the calories you should be eating. Your body needs fuel to burn, otherwise you will go into starvation mode and get no where when your body holds on to every bit of food you eat. You have to eat clean. A little something here and there is ok, as long as you stay in your calorie range AND make sure its a health version (example: Ice cream= skinny cow (low calorie). Hope this helps.

I will do this when I get home.

Maybe I need clarification on this and maybe this is where I am going wrong. Say my log says this:

Goal Food Exercise Net
    1830 1720 881 839

Does that mean I should only have 1830 per day like it says for my goal or am I suppose to have a NET of 1830?
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    1200 is to low to be eating anyway, especially if you workout, so it is good you had the Taco Salad.
    You should not eat below your BMR and try to get closer to the 1800 calories set for you. You won't feel guilty then if you eat things you enjoy. Ok, enough of this.

A meal that puts you over once in while will not set you back at all so you should not feel remorse.
  • AndMee
    AndMee Posts: 23
    Options
    I usually have 100-300 calories leftover at the end of the day that I leave open for dessert. If I feel like being good I'll eat a frozen fruit bar/skinny cow/Swiss Miss 100 cal fudge bar BUT if I want to splurge a little I have a cookie or two. In the begining I had a hard time with the whole dessert thing, but there are so many options, even with brownies.

As for your husband, tell him he can join too and so he can be more sympathetic and a lot less empathetic (just kidding). It's still an adjustment for him too. Whether he realizes it or not, both of you are going through this together. I had a similar issue with my children, but they fixed themselves - I once made two dinner meals and they would want to eat mine to try it so they could put in their two cents and after 3 days I was done making two meals and they were done with their comments. I make one meal for everyone and the kids are surprised on how yummy "healthy" food is.