Gym Membership or Weights at Home?

Options

Replies

• bm_stclair
    bm_stclair Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned the adjustable dumbells. Those work pretty good and take up just a small footprint. I think perhaps your answer might be a combination of things.
    Someone was right in that there is no substitution for legit free weight equipment for certain things ie a squat rack. HUGE footprint and the safety guards are a must if you are doing anything remotely heavy. This requires a gym unfortunately.
    But...
    Perhaps it's time to branch out a bit with your workouts. We all have to adapt once in a while and it sounds like this maybe a good time for you. So First I suggest you limit your weekly visits to the gym for those workouts where you need the equipment. This'll save you time and gas money at least.
    Second there are soooo many different things a person can do to work the same muscle groups where you can get by without needing equipment at all or perhaps smaller apartment friendly equipment like the dumbells mentioned above. This will require a bit of creativity on your part but in this day and age a simple google search for things like "quad exercises without equipment" might give you some ideas. Shoot some of those yoga poses even give me a pretty good muscle burn and those only require a soft mat. Add some hand weights to those with a bit of muscle movement and I'm thinking that could be an even more killer workout and not too different from plain free weight exercises.

I say adapt and overcome but don't give up. Good luck.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    You must be a finance or accounting major since you give relevant costing (breaking down gas per mile and month).

The start up cost for a home gym can vary greatly. You will need atleast an adjustable flat bench and a series of free weights at the minimum. The bench can cost anywhere from $50 to 300 (I wouldn't cheap out though, it's essential and will get used). For the free weights I would buy something like the Boflex Dumbbells (see link at bottom). Not only will they save space but is a cost effective way to get dummbells that you can vary from 5 to 50LBS. Do research as boflex aren't the only ones producing this product. Their cost is around 400 plus tax.

Now you can compare. 40/month (480/year) for a gym membership or 450-700 (one time upfront cost) for the bare bones essentials of a home gym. Essentially at some point in year 2 of your membership, the home gym will be financially the better alternative.

Some things to point out:
    - You have a small apt. Do you have the room to store this equipment and enough room to do all the exercises you would need to get a workout
    - Your home gym will be bare bones where a big box gym will offer full amenities and equipment (a gym will offer various machines, barbells, various benches, cables, classes and more)
    - You can grow your home gym over time and customize it to fit your lifestyle/workout habits
    - Personal gym vs competing for machines at big box gym (can get a no hassle workout and in a shorter time period)
    - Personal gym can cater to your schedule where big box gyms have set hours and are only effective if you have time to get there

Cost wise it's a no brainer, but you will have to decide whether a home of big box gym will deliver a better overall experience to maximize results.

http://www.bowflex.ca/bowflex_home_gyms_ca/accessories/freeweights/prdcd~100131/Bowflex+SelectTech+552+Dumbbells.jsp
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That really depends on the type of person you are. I've never had much success with weights at home. I either don't have the right equipment or I don't have room to move around it. And I find it very hard to focus on my workout. Right now I'm waiting for my new gym to open so I'm just doing body weight stuff, but's only 10 minutes most days.

Does your apartment complex have a fitness room? Maybe a jogging trail nearby home or work with exercise stations. When given the choice between Planet Fitness and just swim/bike/run on my own I dropped the gym, so I feel your pain there.

Try to string trips together either to the gym or other trips to save money for the gym trips. Be creative. But most importantly, know yourself and choose what will keep you going.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights and working out is the one thing that keeps me sane. However as much as I think I'd like to use them, half of the battle would be getting to the gym. Once there, I'd kick my *kitten* into working hard. I am afraid that with them being at home, I'll wimp out and give up, or wont work as hard because I didn't drive all the way there, or didn't invest money into it monthly.

This. It's basically a personal decision that you're going to have to make for yourself to decide what's best for you.

With a home gym you have ease of access, affordability, don't have to worry about overcrowding etc.
    The problem there is that it may be hard to motivate yourself adequately

With a gym it's basically the opposite.

For me, an at home gym could only ever be free weights. I've tried doing cardio/calisthenics at home, and I can never stick with it. My couch is just too comfortable. I do plan to get a gym at home eventually, but in the meantime I workout at a gym near my office.

I used PF for a long time, while it's certainly not a great gym, it's cheap, you may want to consider it.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can do Dead Lifts at Planet "fitness". In fact most any real weight lifting isn't allowed.

I would suggest getting a small set for your house and lifting there. I do all of my work outs at home.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Iturned my shed in to a workout/weight room. I like it better then having to go to a gym
  • ThatOthrVeganChic
    Options
    I haven't ever in my life had a gym membership and I used to work out 1 hour a day 5 days a week (trying to get back there). Even after I fell off that bandwagon I kept working out, doing something. My apartment isn't all that small now. But before I had a very tiny place and I had an aerobic step, a balance ball, resistance band, three sets of free weights (5,8,10 pounds) and a barbell with plates. I fit it all into a hallway closet. I've never been a weight bench type of person or had treadmills or stationary bikes or anything like that. My workouts of choice are kickboxing, strength training with free weights, Pilates or yoga,squats, lunges and circuit training. You can still get a great workout and look fit and toned with free weights, balance balls, and resistance bands if you workout at home. They even have the free weights now with the removable plates so you can make them as heavy or as light as you need too. I have more workout DVDs now than I do movies and I like the peace and quite of working out at home and the money saved. I'm like you. I can't afford a gym membership right now and even if i could i would rather buy my own treadmill.
  • caschw
    caschw Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I AGREE WITH YOU!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I've been using the gym at school the last two years. I've work out whenever I was on campus. I just graduated, so now I need to pay for a gym membership, along with the gas to drive to the gym. Round trip it's 10 miles, multiply that 3 -4 times a week, so it's about 40 miles or 8 dollars in gas a week. The membership is 25 a month. So going to the gym is going to cost me almost 40 a month.

I normally only lift weights when I go. Sometimes I do cardio but normally I get that in biking to work. I don't want to stop working out, but I haven't in almost three weeks now because of being graduated, and I'm starting to become edgy.

I live in a small apartment, so I can't get a bench. I'd been working on deadlifts and squats with weights.

What's your thoughts? Should I invest in free weights at home that I can store easily, or pay for the gym membership?

To do a home gym right you probably need a minimum of $800 - $1,000. If you can swing that then it's probably a good idea.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I currently have both a gym member ship and an at home set up that is quite nice. I have two kids of my own plus a little boy that is with me M-F 12+hours a day and my hubby works and travels insain scedual so I workout at home if I have to but if I get a small window to get to the gym I go I enjoy the gym atmosphere I tend to workout harder at the gym than I do at home plus I like being able to talk with other adults once in awhile lol

Its all in what will work into your life better I personalyNEED the gym if I didn`t get out alone once in awhile I would go crazy there is only so much Dora the explorer a mom can handle kwim lol
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Gym for you!

You don't have the spec for the safety equipment that you would need to progress with squats (minimum a squat rack but ideally a power cage).

If you did have the space I can tell you from experience that an Olympic bar and power rack is equivalent to the approx cost of 1 years gym membership.

There are people advising that you get dumbells and use those but to be honest for squats and dead lifts these are a poor second best. Bar and rack is the way to go and for you that means gym.

Best wishes.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I use my gym membership daily.. and I have some weights and a treadmill at home. Works perfectly. cause I can't use the excuse, the "I don't want to leave the house" excuse anymore..
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I needed to cut expenses so I quit the gym. It was going to be for a short time but nearly two years later I've done better without it. I got some hand weights, jump rope, and all sorts of things and I do most of my workouts at home. On a nice sunny day I'll go to the park to hike or run but haven't stepped foot in a gym and not regretting it either.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Gym memberships in my area vary from $10 a month to $120 per month.

- Check the community center and see what their facilities look like. They usually charge by household so it shouldn't be too bad. The nearest one to me is really nice.

- Check the hotel gyms to see if they will let you in. They usually end up being quite cleaner than regular gyms.

For me, I have to work out at home so that I can take care of my kids after work.

If you're going to do stuff at home, figure out what you want and how much it will cost. An elliptical machine can take up a lot of space and cost a lot. A stationary bike takes up much less room and is much cheaper. As for weights, how much resistance do you need? Rubber bands can be pretty nice. Mine is rated for 30lbs. Kettle bells are also nice. A doorway pull-up bar like the Iron Gym is nice. FYI, I would not go for a Total gym. It's quite annoying to disassemble and put away.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Try using resistance bands. They take up little to no room and can give the same results as free weights if used correctly. I would supplement things like a doorway pull-up bar, an 8-12lb medicine ball and a weighted pole (for squats/dead lifts and shoulder press-you can add on velcro weights to it as needed) to optimize the number of exercises that you can do!

It's going to feel weird at first, but in the long run it's going to save you a ton of money!
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    I can't really afford 40 dollars a month. I thought about biking to the gym every time I want to use it. There is one closer, but it's a Planet Fitness, and because they're only 10 dollars a month, the place is like hell on earth...

i go to a planet fitness and its not all that bad!

I wish I could say the same! I justify my PF membership by the fact that it's cheaper than others (I pay for the black card, so $20/mo) and sort of on the way to work... I work far away from my apartment. I'm seriously considering canceling and getting free weights and videos, though, because although I like using the weight/strength machines and ARC trainers, the gym itself and gym locker rooms/showers are horrid at best. Usually smells bad in the shower area and always have chunks of hair in the drains and people (usually elderly in the mornings) don't wipe off the equipment and all that jazz. I'm looking into other options for gyms because of my aforementioned enjoyment of some of the stuff, but honestly, I can't afford much more than the $20 plus gas.

Because I haven't gotten any at-home equipment yet, haven't repaired my bike, haven't found a better gym option as yet, I'll probably stay with PF for a while and try to go earlier so it isn't quite as... gross. lol

As for your situation, take some of the other posters' advice and see if you can get a pass or at least a tour of the facilities before you get a membership anywhere; start budgeting in the money for gas and the membership; ask your parents!; and maybe pick up a couple of weights for home.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    get the program chalean extreme and a set of cheap select tech weights and do it at home!

that's what i did, with 25 lbs being the highest my weights go, and i've gotten great results in 3 months!
  • cks3d1
    cks3d1 Posts: 39
    Options
    I just joined the gym at my work and have been going everyday on break / over lunch. It helps me stay motivated to work out. by the end of the day im spent and dont have much motivation to get out to the gym. Took me 2 years to finally join, but im glad i did!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I can't really afford 40 dollars a month. I thought about biking to the gym every time I want to use it. There is one closer, but it's a Planet Fitness, and because they're only 10 dollars a month, the place is like hell on earth...

is there a way you can still use the gym at school?

another thing to kep in mind is that if you'll be working somewhere many employers have gym discounts

but if you have to work out at home that's better than nothing though. check out sites like blogilates.com and bodyrock.tv for exercise ideas
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I live 15-20 min (hwy travel) from my gym. I finally gave it up and do everything in my garage now. It took us some time to get all the stuff we wanted for our home gym, but its for sure paying off. We even have Dish in our garage. :laugh: