Eating "bad" foods but staying within daily calorie limit..

Options
Do you think it is bad to eat "bad" foods (i.e. ice cream, cookies, candy) if you still stay within your calorie limit for the day? For example, if it's the end of the day and I have 300 calories left to eat do you think it's alright for me to have a couple Snackwell cookies and a laffy taffy? I am staying within my limit, but I still feel super guilty because it is junk food! Thoughts? Advice? Your opinion?

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    There's this thing called life...

Part of life is enjoying yourself. I think if you have a thing for ice cream, eat it. Just stay within your calories. You'll still lose weight. But, you will get to a certain point where you won't be able to shave off some fat from you belly or butt or whatever. And, you'll have to look at that stuff and make some decisions about your habits. I think it's fine, it just depends on your overall goal.
  • Breezy415
    Breezy415 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine.....if you are looking at this as a lifestyle it would be crazy to think you'd never eat a piece of candy or cookies every again in your life!
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    eating something "bad" everyday isn't terrible.. just as long as the good foods outweight the bad.. a diet of all icecream and cookies.. not good!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's silly to divide foods into "good" and "bad."
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've found that on my journey, the better the shape I was in, the more concious I became about the 'quality' of the foods I ate. I find myself eating stuff that 2 years ago I would have completely dismissed. But yes, in theory, you could exist on swiss cake rolls and lose weight if you remain in a calorie deficit. Is it healthy? not really. But it's totally a personal choice.
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do this, It's normally on Sundays which I make my cheat day. I have one meal or one snack when I might drink a soda or have some ice cream. I dont do it everyday b/c I dont want to make it habit. It seems to be working b/c I havent gained any weight. Just do what works for you.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It's silly to divide foods into "good" and "bad."

^This. Same goes for "healthy" and "unhealthy".
  • andrewsmommy13
    andrewsmommy13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's silly to divide foods into "good" and "bad" but I think a lot of people do it. Especially those that yo-yo diet. I am trying to avoid calling what I'm doing a "diet" because my goal is for it to be a lifestyle change that will last for the rest of my life. That is why I went ahead and ate the cookies because I feared that if I didn't eat them I would fixate on them and be miserable and quit. I feared this because it has happend a million and one times. Thanks for reminding me that there is this thing called life! I need to stop fixating on all this and just eat to live and not live to eat.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    As long as you get enough fuel that your body NEEDS (it does need vegetables... it does not need laffy taffy) then it doesn't matter. But if you're using candy and snacks as a substitute for nutritious food, then you will probably have issues somewhere down the line. I'm not going to call them "good" or "bad" because people get bent out of shape about these terms, but if you're within your nutrition goals, having a couple of cookies isn't going to derail your life.
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    eating something "bad" everyday isn't terrible.. just as long as the good foods outweight the bad.. a diet of all icecream and cookies.. not good!!

Yeah, what she said! :)
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    I usually allow for some "treats" without going over my daily calorie limit. Some days I really need a cupcake. It may mean that I have to cut back on something else, or plan some extra exercise, but it keeps me sane.

One day a week I don't place any restrictions on my diet, including calorie intake. I don't go hog wild and eat everything I can find, but I allow myself dinner and drinks with friends, or an indulgent breakfast (my favorite kind of splurge meal).

You're working so hard to keep track of your calories and add exercise, and I have been peeking at your diary, I know you're eating well. It so isn't worth the energy to feel guilty about a few sweets when so many of the things you are doing are healthy and focused on changing your lifestyle.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find balance with this because generally "bad" foods are a slippery slope for me, and I end up eating too much. As long as I pre-measure my junk I'm okay. I just counted out pretzels and scooped a tablespoon of nutella onto them. Delish! but I can't sit here with the bag in front of me unconsciously stuffing them into my face like I used to. As long as you are still keeping track of how much you're eating, a treat here and there isn't terrible. I don't have "cheat days", though, because I know it could very easily lead to me wanting to pig out the next day too, so that's a no go for me.
  • mdtolen
    mdtolen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think you have to be really careful doing that. The reason I say that is because personally I know what a struggle it is for me. I decided to lose weight and get healthy and change my lifestyle. Healthy is not "bad" foods :) Yes I do enjoy myself every now and then and allow myself to splurge :) However I do not think that it is healthy for your body to eat that multiple times a week. Its about your body not just weight. You want to have a healthy heart, etc.. Enjoy every now and then within your calorie goal but not multiple times a week :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Common sense rule would apply here. If you're eating "mostly" nutrient dense foods and "some" junk food, and still hitting your daily intake numbers, you're in a good spot.
  • xarmymom
    xarmymom Posts: 2
    Options
    Have you tired substituting your "bads" for something that will fulfill the desire- ex. instead of ice cream try frozen yogurt. Instead of laffy taffy- try dried fruit. Instead of some sweet milk chocolate at night- try homemade dark chocolate cocoa with skim milk- just an idea! I'm still trying to find a substitue for my peanut butter and apples cravings....
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure I would die if I didn't eat some junk food every single day, just a little bit though. No kidding. I am sure only eating healthy food works for some people, but it doesn't work for me. I eat mostly healthy though, because if I don't I am starving. But a bit of junk is not so bad imo.

You need to be able to shut down the craving though once you eat some. Some people can't stop once they start. That is another issue that many people seem to have.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    If you're counting cals, and don't go over your limit, then yeah you will lose weight......but your body needs nutrients and exercise. Just because you're thin doesn't mean you're healthy.

Of course treat yourself, but wouldn't it be better to have small healthy snacks all day instead of one gross Big Mac combo??

I know some will argue, lol
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I think it's really a personal choice. I know I'm going to feel better, both physically and mentally, if I skip the treats. Not that I don't have treats, but they are probably different from other people's. My "treats" today are a muffin I baked yesterday, and a serving of Cheese Nips crackers. I don't want to fit in icecream, or cookies, or candy daily, even though I could.

And to answer your question, Yes, you can have daily treats and still lose.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If you're counting cals, and don't go over your limit, then yeah you will lose weight......but your body needs nutrients and exercise. Just because you're thin doesn't mean you're healthy.

Of course treat yourself, but wouldn't it be better to have small healthy snacks all day instead of one gross Big Mac combo??

I know some will argue, lol
    Big Macs are SO not worth the calories. lol
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    well, in my world,,, cake is GOOD and brussel sprouts are BAD.... lol everything in moderation.. if you deny , u will fail. gl!