Can undereating cause a platuea?

Options
I started dieting in February with a goal to lose 10lbs a month for the next 9 months. I'm 36, 5'3 & started at 270lbs. Did really good the first month eating around 1300-1400 calories a day 1-2 protein bars/meal shakes a day and a sensible (500-600 calorie) dinner and usually a snack or two during the day. The third month I reduced my calories 1300 and now in the fourth month I have reduced again to 1200. I have cut out all sodas & sweet drinks and drink usually 8-10 cups of water a day but I'm hitting a platuea AGAIN! Below is a breakdown of my weight loss:

February - did really great and lost 12 lbs.
March - didnt gain or lose (not very strict this month) and was frustrated with hitting a platuea
April - I started excercising 3-4 days a week doing a morning bootcamp and 3-4 days a week riding a stationary bicycle in the evening and lost 8 lbs.
May - almost done with the fourth month and only lost 4lbs and have hit ANOTHER platuea!

I'm really confused on how I still have 100lbs to lose, that I'm exercising so many times a week & dramatically cut my calories and in general eating healthy foods, but I'm not losing much weight OR inches. Yes I'm stronger and have better endurance, but it just seems that the weight should be pooring off of me and it's really really discouraging. This makes me wonder if I am undereating and it's hurting me more than helping...

Replies

• bossmom2
    bossmom2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I'm not sure but you could be dropping your calore intake too quickly. Maybe stay at 1300, say for 2months just to see if it breaks the plateau. I'm new to this myself.
    Good Luck,
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    I think your daily caloric intake is just to low. Find out what your BMR is, and I suspect its going to be higher than 1300, and try and stay above it.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are very normal. I find if I significantly increase my calories for a couple of days and then go back down, I start losing again. My body gets used to eating patterns so I try to confuse it occasionally.

Good luck!

Jean
  • clamar1012
    clamar1012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    According to this website (and the other one I tried) my BMR is 1775. So to loss weight I should consume less than 1775 calories a day my body naturally burns right? Thats what is confusing to me. Im eating less than my body is burning AND I work out on top of that, but still struggling to lose and I have soo much in reserves....
  • js370
    Options
    BMR should be the lowest amount that you eat. TDEE is the number you should take a deficit from.
  • clamar1012
    clamar1012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    TDEE??? What is this?
  • maryb2374
    maryb2374 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    BMR should be the lowest amount that you eat. TDEE is the number you should take a deficit from.
    Yes, what he said! TDEE Is your total daily energy expenditure. Mine is about 2300/day so I eat about 1800 a day. My BMR is 1400 so I try never to go below that number in my net calories.

You should aim so your net calories (the number on your home page) stays above 1775/day.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    TDEE = total daily energy expenditure

It's your BMR (the amount of calories needed just to keep your body functioning in a coma-like state) PLUS the calories you burn actually living life, walking, talking, working, etc.

Your deficit should be taken from your TDEE not your BMR.
  • js370
    Options
    Where BMR is the amount of calories you burn at rest. TDEE is the amount of calories you burn while doing your daily activities.