Gaining puffy fat on Insanity

Options

Replies

• trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm actually doing insanity right now and there is a strong possibility that you weren't eating enough. I know for me I have to eat at least 1700cal (usually net at least 1400cal) while on the workout plan or my body goes absolutely crazy and I end up feeling sick. Considering you were seeing the weight loss while cheating, go back to cheating!
  • byock
    byock Posts: 23
    Options

So while your body may need a calorie deficit, others don't. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

I could just as easily say my Honda gets better mileage than your truck, so I will not go empty on gas by driving. Some burn faster, some slower.

You can't change physics. If you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. Not losing weight? You are NOT eating at a deficit.

Nice try though.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you have gotten such negative, uppity up people on here, we all have :/ and I have done the crying over my own body image at time, it is so frustrating to think you are doing everything correct and not get the results you expect. I personally have not done insanity workout . My best and most sincere advise would be to talk to your Physician, especially if you are passing out.

Simply because it's something she does not want to hear does not make it negative.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If you are OVERstressing your body (working out daily, not eating enough, not sleeping enough, etc.) without any rest/recovery periods, it can actually backfire. Your hormones get out of whack, you release cortisol, your body stores fat (it's a lot more complicated than that, but that's the gist.)

Take a diet break. Take an extreme exercise break. Reset your body, then start again.

Oh, and pee on a stick, just in case.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you have gotten such negative, uppity up people on here, we all have :/ and I have done the crying over my own body image at time, it is so frustrating to think you are doing everything correct and not get the results you expect. I personally have not done insanity workout . My best and most sincere advise would be to talk to your Physician, especially if you are passing out.

I definitely agree with this advice to maybe even talk to your doctor. If you are working out TOO much, TOO hard, as stated in another post, it can definitely backfire on you and hence could be why you have passed out a few times.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

So while your body may need a calorie deficit, others don't. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

I could just as easily say my Honda gets better mileage than your truck, so I will not go empty on gas by driving. Some burn faster, some slower.

You can't change physics. If you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. Not losing weight? You are NOT eating at a deficit.

Nice try though.

I can promise you that I can eat sub 2000 calories and gain weight faster than you eating 4000 calories a day if I stuff my face full of french fries, cheetos and cake. The quality of your calories do add to weight gain/loss.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yes. I used to run 3 miles every morning, work out in the gym 5 days a week for an hour. I never lost 1lb or any inches.

Once I started counting calories I starting losing 2lbs a week. Diet is everything.

@NoAdditives That goes without saying. If you are not losing weight, let's be honest, you are not filling yourself up on veggies every meal.

Actually, I do eat a ton of fresh vegetables and fruits. My diet is extremely healthy and very clean. That alone does not get my body to burn fat. Having a calorie deficit alone does not get my body to burn fat. The only thing that gets my body burning fat is exercise.

Try eating zero calories every day for a week and doing zero exercise. I have no doubt that you will still "burn fat" (along with muscle in most cases). On the other hand, try eating 10k calories every day for a week and doing as much as exercise as you can. You will not "burn fat" (and probably gain plenty).
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    could you be pregnant? or are you retaining water? might be an oversimplification - but you were just on a honeymoon. i got preggers on the pill with my first.
  • byock
    byock Posts: 23
    Options
    I had to cut down to 1400 calories to lose weight. Each person is different. Doesn't change the fact if you are not losing weight, either burn more through exercise WITHOUT eating more or cut down the amount of calories you are eating. It really is that simple.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    and you fainted twice...this seems to be adding up to pregnant???
  • kristikjm
    kristikjm Posts: 3
    Options
    I haven't read all of the replies here yet, but I can sympathize with you. I ride horses, and when I say ride, I mean school, jump and actually sweat and see stars that I'm so out of breath, so yes, it's exercise. And on the days I don't ride I walk or do something. Anyway, after a year of riding again (13 yr hiatus married and had kids) I was GAINING weight. It wasn't until I started watching my calories RELIGIOUSLY (and I do obsess sometimes too) that I lost weight and can finally see some of the muscle I have built. I am down 11 lbs but would like to lose another 17.
    I also think your thyroid (could you possibly have graves disease?) has something to do with it as well. I hope you find your answers, I know how frustrating it is!
  • EmilyMarieMo
    EmilyMarieMo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the fact that you can't lose weight unless you count calories! I personally know I wouldn't be able to lose as good as I have been if I didn't count calories... but I have a friend who is part of the Eating Clean "club"... she follows the eat clean diet for her lifestyle and she lifts weights and does cardio. She went from 170 to 115 (5'1), competed in a fitness competition and all... without counting calories a day in her life. Now that her competition is over, she maintains a 125-130 weight still eating clean, doing cardio 45-60 mins 5-6 days a week and lifts only 2 days a week now. Still not counting calories. And all her friends at the gym who also Eat Clean do the same! Maybe just look closer at your diet. The Eat Clean Diet Recharged book by Tosca Reno talks about how our bodies shape as we lose weight is affected by the type of food we are eating... not just the calories!
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    @Kenny536 I stopped counting calories before Insanity because I found that counting calories caused me to obsess over food way too much, which probably got me in this jam in the first place :cry:

This kind of goes back to what I said in my first post: you know what you were doing during the first 30 days was working for you. So, instead of counting calories to try to meet a goal, start doing what was work and then count calories so that you can see/record what you were doing before. This may take some stress out of the process, but it will also help you keep your progress moving forward if you decided to change up the types of foods you're eating again in the future. :)

Summary: Do what works (and perhaps more importantly), figure out why it works. :)
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If you just got back off honeymoon, could you be pregnant?!

^^^ This. Have you checked? Especially what you describe sounds like mood swings.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yes. I used to run 3 miles every morning, work out in the gym 5 days a week for an hour. I never lost 1lb or any inches.

Once I started counting calories I starting losing 2lbs a week. Diet is everything.

@NoAdditives That goes without saying. If you are not losing weight, let's be honest, you are not filling yourself up on veggies every meal.

@Byock - I totally agree with you. Lots of healthy foods have LOTS of calories, alone, but especially as prepared. Things like olive oil can really pack on the calories, even though it is tremendously healthy. Also, many times food is prepared with LOTS of salt so that can cause you to bloat.
    I, too, exercised for years with little or no results... now that I document EVERYTHING I eat, I am losing, too.
    I think once I hit my goal, I may not document everything, but I will surely remember how to eat, and if I start gaining, its back to documenting. One thing I have learned by documenting things is how to tweak my recipes to get the sodium and calorie content down without sacrificing taste. Its really neat to be able to do that....
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Change your diet back to month 1 :wink:
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kristikjm
    kristikjm Posts: 3
    Options
    I went back and read some and wanted to reply again :) Anyway, I eat VERY healthy and always have however I was just plain eating TOO MUCH. And it's obvious now that I am keeping track of calories (and losing) that I was overeating, healthy or not. Stinks, but some of us gain (me included) even eating vegetables!
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I believe this, it stresses your adrenals, which are already sensitive because of thyroid issues. I don't know how much you're eating, but more is better (more protein/veggies/good fats) in terms of thyroid. If your thyroid is not all the way fixed, you will be puffy from thyroid or adrenal issues. You may need to go to light workouts, like walking for awhile and de-stress, rest for awhile and eat good. Also a trip to the doc's.
    If you are OVERstressing your body (working out daily, not eating enough, not sleeping enough, etc.) without any rest/recovery periods, it can actually backfire. Your hormones get out of whack, you release cortisol, your body stores fat (it's a lot more complicated than that, but that's the gist.)

Take a diet break. Take an extreme exercise break. Reset your body, then start again.

Oh, and pee on a stick, just in case.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Sorry about the title of the post, but I have searched high and low, I have asked so many people who refuse to thoughtfully consider my situation and provide a helpful response.

I am a 25 year old woman and I just finished Insanity. I didn't skip anything and I generally enjoyed the workout. for the first month I saw amazing results, not on the scale but in my body. I got smaller. For the first month, I cheated on the weekends and had ice cream sometimes during the week (I know people are going to take the ice cream part and stay on that, but let me clarify that it was once MAYBE twice aweek, and a cup if that.) I would have a measured amound of cereal before my workouts and eat stuff like small sandwiches, soup with pieces of bread, big salads...I was good during the week and cheated on the weekends. I have great day 30 photos, amazing in fact.

About a week into month 2, my husband convinced me to do better (he's always been a bodybuilder type, so I had no problem taking his advice). I started eating shakes in the morning before my workout, and lots of salad, vegetables, and low sodium soups throughout the day. I cut alot of my carbs, not all, but alot. and drink just water. I stopped cheating altogether and side note, I cut off beer during month 1 in Insanity. I have just been eating cleaner and better.

Now, to continue the story, I will say that I have alot of medical problems. stuff like various blood disorders (not anything weird, but they are there)and a thyroid problems. I dont like to use having thyroid issues as an excuse but my husband feels that I should understand that since I have them that I cant just lose the weight like that. But I myself know that I have always lost weight pretty easily in the past just by dieting and thyroid has never really affected that. One more thing, is that I just got off my honeymoon and although I did not cheat, I drank a few beers the last few nights we were there. I also worked out in the hotel room every day. I just went to the Dr. 2 days ago and when they weighed me I couldnt believe it. I gained 11 pounds.

One last thing, I added brazilian butt lift to my daily workouts about 3 weeks into Insanity and I do it religiously.

Knowing all of this, I've put together day 1, day 30, and day 60 photos.

day 1 is not good of course. I am puffy and not toned. day 30 I am alot smaller, toned, and looking slim.

I just put in the day 60 pics, and not only do I look bigger, but the extra mass is puffy, flabby fat. I would certainly understand gaining lean muscle, but muscle is not puffy and flabby. My lower stomach puffs out while in day 30 its lean and toned. and mind you, I work my lower abs alot.

I dont know what is going on here, and I am supposed to be starting Asylum next week. Most people that I ask this defer to the generic "you gained muscle/your not eating good/your too negetive/stop thinking of this as a diet and think of it as a lifestlye change".. etc etc..please, dont do that to me! I am asking for real help here. I want someone to thoughfull consider my plight and really talk to me about it. No uppity attitudes (which I have gotten ALOT of) no holier than thou, etc etc. I have been crying my eyes out all morning over this. I am really about to go into a depression. .I drink a lot of water but I work out so much that I have fainted twice in the last 3 weeks. PLease help and please be helpful. I thank anyone who really, really digs into their heart and mind.

I read a handful of response...but are you pregnant? Some of your experience sound a lot like first trimester issues? I don't know anything about shakeology so I cannot comment on that.