Big weight drop in the beginning?

Options
How much weight did you drop in the beginning?
i've heard when you're overweight you drop a fair share very quickly in the beginning and then you kind of taper off after your body gets used to it So far, I've lost 9 pounds in three weeks, even though I have my MFP set to 1 pound per week.. (I'm 5"4" and started at 180lbs). I've made sure to stay close to the number MFP has given me, and am eating back my exercise calories.

Did this happen to anyone else, or should I be adjusting my calories?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    normal.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Happened to me. People have theories and so on, but bottom line is that it seems to be fairly common and nothing to be concerned about.
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    I lost 23 pounds in 6 weeks.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Yep, normal. I started just over a month ago at 210 and have lost 18 pounds, but I realize it will slow down soon and become much harder...
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Normal, just know that it will slow down. If you still keep losing 2+ a week after the first few, you may need to up your activity level, though.
    You're doing great!
  • PrincessMom08
    PrincessMom08 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. I've lost 15lbs since I started mid-April. I've been averaging about 3lbs a week. Waiting on it to taper off but I really hope it doesn't. lol
  • dotti1121
    Options

FrostyFour - how tall are you? We have similar starting and goal weights...
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i lost 19 the first 4 weeks then it stopped for one month and i upped my cals slightly and started losing again !
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I started off losing up to 3 pounds a week to start and then it tapered off, now Im stuck but still working to take it off and firm up and build lean muscles
  • FrostyFour
    Options

5'4". I like to pretend I'm much taller, though :P
  • djlindstrom
    djlindstrom Posts: 48
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    I dropped 9 pounds the first week. It's tapered off since then.
    :flowerforyou:
  • starkraving
    starkraving Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes in the beginning, I was losing 4lbs per week then gradually it went down to 2lbs after 3 weeks, and kept at 2lbs. I did find that once I'd lost 28lbs that it was then harder to lose further weight despite sticking to the plan - i.e. only lost 2lbs in the last month. But - only 14lbs to go so a bit more exercise should do the trick.
  • dotti1121
    Options
    [/quote]

5'4". I like to pretend I'm much taller, though :P
    [/quote]

LOL! Me too! I'm barely 5'5"...
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Yes...my first 2 1/2 months I lost 45 pounds. Then the real work begain : )
  • abbie72003
    abbie72003 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was the opposite...it took 3 months to lose 10 lbs but I've found what works and lose about 4-5lbs/month now.
  • FrostyFour
    Options
    Yes in the beginning, I was losing 4lbs per week then gradually it went down to 2lbs after 3 weeks, and kept at 2lbs. I did find that once I'd lost 28lbs that it was then harder to lose further weight despite sticking to the plan - i.e. only lost 2lbs in the last month. But - only 14lbs to go so a bit more exercise should do the trick.

I like to think I can milk mine a bit more. The last time I dropped weight was on Mothers Day when I hit 189. As a present my husband took the kids and let me sleep in til 6 pm. We had just started a workout routine, but we didn't do it that night and we just forgot to do it after that. Then yesterday somebody pointed it out to me and now I'm like, oh dang, that's right! So yesterday and today I've been ON it!
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    1st Month 29 Lbs

2nd Month 14.6 Lbs

3rd Month 19 Lbs

4th Month 15.2 Lbs
  • xbekkiex
    xbekkiex Posts: 30
    Options
    for 3 weeks the scale didn't move at all, I *felt* like I had lost some weight, but my clothes weren't fitting that much better and as someone who has been obsessed with the scale... it's a hard habit to break.

Finally, this past week, 5 lbs dropped off. so we'll see how it continues to go - but there was no big weight drop.
  • afigueroa_pr
    afigueroa_pr Posts: 344
    Options
    Started at 205
    Lost 5 pounds each week for the first 3 weeks
    Then I started on a plateau
    It is completely normal
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. I had about the same starting weight and lost 3.25 pounds the first week and then 4.75 pounds the second week. After that it was usually between one and two pounds a week. Don't worry about it but enjoy this jump start.