If it's on the forums, it's on Google

Options
IndyInk
IndyInk Posts: 212
I just put in a request that comments made on the forums be hidden from Google searches.

If your screen name even remotely identifies you in real life (same as your email handle, etc.), a simple Google search pulls up what you've said in the forums, even if your profile is privatized. (This is vaguely outlined in section 18 of the Terms of Use.)

I asked that: (1) we have the option to hide all of our personal forum comments from search engines, OR (2) we be allowed to change our usernames more than once, or (3) we be allowed to delete things we've posted in the forums, OR that (4) all forum content be hidden from search engines.

Most people understand that the internet is forever, but I'm not sure most MFP users realize forum content is as quite public as it is. Post carefully.

Replies

• lildoggielover
    lildoggielover Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Good to know, thanks for putting this out there for us.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If anyone at work reads my blogs, I will probably get fired. Oh well.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    That is part of why I hesitate in responding to some of the poll/survey type questions in the forums.

1010opart.jpg
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    A while ago, there was a topic "list your hobby" I pasted some computer code that i coded. Almost a year later I got an email from the instructor. His current students found my code online. It was their current project. The email stated that I can get in trouble for academic dishonesty(since the other students can use my code to cheat).

Yes I agree, a lot of people have their usernames to resemble their first and last name. Not a good decision. It can be used for identity fraud, and things of that sort.

I think a certain amount of privacy also only benefits a fitness site. Fitness has to do with the human anatomy... and if you want to discuss the human anatomy openly with other people who are getting fit, you may not want your boss or a prospective employer Googling your name and finding some of the stuff that's discussed on here.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    If your screen name even remotely identifies you in real life (same as their email handle, etc.)...
    That's how we identified the creepy mortician dude. Ha! Good times...
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    this is why I do my best to never post anything that would be detrimental later in life... and if it is detrimental and I post it anyway... it's mostly because I have the means to justify myself... and quite honestly hold the ability to speak my mind freely in high regard. But yea... peeps should be more careful
  • JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    so much for private settings... thanks for the heads up
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Anyone who posts anything on the internet ANYWHERE should be fully aware that it's out there in the webz forever and ever, amen.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% and have posted that as a suggestion to MFP that even though IT IS the internet, as far as I am concerned MFP is a private group and things should be kept out of the mainstream.

Don't think it will happen though. :ohwell:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Normally this is considered a feature, because it makes the forum easy to search.

But given the signal-to-noise ratio on this forum, maybe it's better if they do block it from getting indexed.

Only half kidding.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    everything under my tag name Bluemorpho1247 shows up in google- including all this!N
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Hmmm good to know! Thanks for posting this!
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    The reason why my face is not shown...
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% and have posted that as a suggestion to MFP that even though IT IS the internet, as far as I am concerned MFP is a private group and things should be kept out of the mainstream.

Don't think it will happen though. :ohwell:
    Not likely no. The privacy settings in place now are the results of members in the past (a couple years ago) bringing this up. Diary privacy settings, profile privacy settings. etc. You'll find more in the Search function on what Mike changed and shared about the boards and privacy, Google etc.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I always assume it will be available and try my best to keep my comments the same as I would in face to face conversation. I can tell you this, if I'm googled for job applicant search and the job requires me to proof read, spell, and or type... I may not get the job... lol.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Even funner? Reverse image searches with MFP images. Oh, good times.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    That's why I make a point not to post anything that would be problem. Yea, some of my before and after pictures are a little embarrassing but it wouldn't be the end of the world if someone found it.