If you lost the weight, would you get a tummy tuck?

Options

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm buying boobs too if they get too small. I've already lost a cup size which I wasn't expecting because even when I was a size 2 I had huge knockers. I'm not liking my itty bitties right now. I am too old to have grandma tits!
  • joshis_bunny
    Options
    I lost quite a bit of weight rapidly through illness and already have excess skin, although I am yet to reach my goal weight I have an appointment to see a cosmetic surgeon in July. I have lived with having this excess skin for 4 years and it is so embarrassing and depressing, I can't buy clothes I want as I have to buy larger to account for this skin. For me their is no will I or won't I, it is a yes.
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    yup. mine is scheduled already....i lost close to 90 pounds and kept it off for about 18 months now and do competitive figure shows. i love how i look in clothes, but when you are wearing only about 4 ounces of velvet onstage, its that extra loose skin that keeps me from winning and i want it gone. not that expensive, all thing considered. plus, the doc is going to tighen up some abdominal muscles that have seperated over the pregnancies, so i will be able to be stronger (and fiercer!) than ever. i. can't.wait.
  • stillthesamegirl
    stillthesamegirl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ive been researching a lot about that because I know its inevitable that I will have excess skin. Chances are if youve been atleast 60 lbs overweight for the majority of your life you will have it. But some people are extremely lucky and their genetics play a big factor. It's the sucky part about all this , but the way I look at it is. Would I rather be uncomfortable in and out of clothes or be comfortable in clothes and probably just as uncomfortable as I am now out of them. With that being said I am a major worrier but I think I would want a breast lift and tummy tuck when I'm finished. Sorry for the long response haha
  • frafjordtwins
    frafjordtwins Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    :wink: I would get a tummy tuck and breast lift, in a New York Minute. I hate my tummy let alone the girls. WE have to be comfortable in our skin. It is not for anyone else to judge.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I think if I exhausted all natural remedies and it was still bad enough that I didn't feel comfortable wearing clothes I'd like to wear, then yes- I would. But when I say exhausting all other options I mean ALL of them! Some people just don't have as much elasticity, genetics are mainly to blame. My mom bounced back after an 80 lb gain with a pregnancy, and my sister was a 10lb 8oz baby. She doesn't have any lose skin even with a c-section and 2 following pregnancies, her last one at FORTY. So, hopefully I am as lucky after my daughter gets here :)
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I have thought about it a lot. My answer is maybe. It depends on how bad the skin is. I had 2 c-sections so I have the delightful belly droop and I have problems in the summer with skin infections under it no matter how clean I keep it. Even if I take 2 showers a day and blow dry my belly after my shower I still get it anyway. If the skin continues to droop like that and I have trouble still, then definitely. My insurance will even pay for it if it is for a medical reason. I think recurring skin infections probably counts.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Yes. I will be. And a booby re-do with the extra junk they remove.
  • bombkitty
    bombkitty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes! I have horrific inch wide stretch marks and awful loose skin. I'm all done having kids and have been saving the money since my youngest was born. I am having my tuck next Friday, so excited!!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    For sure! I'm not doing all this hard work just to end up having to look at the deflated pillsbury dough boy for the rest of my life!!!

I used to love my boobs but hate them now, hopefully just a reduction and lift will work but if not it'll be implants for me too!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    If I didn't have a huge phobia of doctors, hospitals, etc, I definately would. The loose skin can cause various problems depending upon how much you have loss and how much skin is loose. I know two people who had the loose skin removed. Okay, I NEVER heard either of them refer to it as a tummy tuck...that doesn't seem to fit when there is A LOT to removed. My friend had about a foot wide strip cut off. They cut above, went down about a foot, made another cut, took that out and then sewed him up. He lost about 20 lbs just from the surgery, so I can only imagine what it would be like to have a 20 lb bag of potatoes bouncing around my middle all day long. The other was a friend. Her loose skin, along with the infections and smells that go with that, was pulling her internal organs down, so was a necessity. After the skin was removed, some of the organs had to be put back into place and secured. So, I definately would, depending upon the situation.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Yes, I might. Only if I get down to my goal weight and if I feel it's needed. But I will SURELY get an arm lift. Unfortunately I've been cursed with super big, flabby arms like most of the ladies in my family, so when I lose the weight, I will definitely have enormous skin flaps that I'll need to get taken care of. Luckily for me, I have a man who's willing to help me pay for any surgery I may need. :)
  • MaddiJoseph
    MaddiJoseph Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm planning another pregnancy in a few years if everything goes the way I hope. That means that a tummy tuck would be pointless. I'll need my skin to stretch out again. I hope it doesn't last forever, but I don't plan on wearing a bikini anywhere so I'll probably be just fine with it.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    already planning on it .. hoping next year, I will be getting a job ( about to start com. college)
    then I will be putting a portion of my checks in a savings account for skin removal and breast enhancement ( not to large though, just to give them a nice look)
  • lilorphann
    lilorphann Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I absolutely will have a few cosmetic procedures done, but first, I will make sure my hubby gets his panniculectomy, once he's reached his goal. I see after watching him lose 180 pounds in a year, that he's going to need to have his excess skin removed. He deserves to go first! He's always put me first, but now it's his turn!
  • fromfattofine
    fromfattofine Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If I could afford it. Of course I would. I wouldn't be completely happy and satified with my loose skin, I'm sure.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Nope! Nope! and thrice Nope!i

I hate my flabby belly, but to go under the knife for a tummy tuck is just not worth it. The scarring can be painful, given that it's usually at or just below your natural panty line.

I have thought in the past about getting a mastectomy to correct my gynecomastia, but again I have to ask myself... ultimately, is it worth it.

I can see why folks do elect to have their flab removed surgically, but even if I had the £000s to spare, I'm not sure I would!
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely! I'm hoping to have a lower body lift in December 2013. I may have an arm lift, too. I spent so much of my life hating how I look - I want to be able to enjoy it.
  • weightlossguy01
    Options
    I've researched this a lot the last few days and what I've found is if you get your body fat percentage really low, it will go away! Skin is really thin. Have you EVER seen someone with a very low body fat percentage with loose skin? Everyone says there is still fat underneath the skin to be lost. Many times you can clearly see it when people bend forward. Clumps of fat sit in there like they are in a sack! So it's clearly excess fat!

I think what is important is try to protect your body composition by keeping your protein intake higher and lift weight to not lose too much muscle as you cut down in weight!

Also I read of people getting tummy tucks, losing more weight and then needing another one! So seriously, be sure you are down as far you can be before you get one so you don't have to keep getting them!
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'll get a full tummy tuck (not sure I could afford it), but I definitely get my hanging skin removed. I have lost (since my highest) 136 lb, and I have skin hanging down on my stomach, it still has some fat, but I doubt it will go even when the fat is gone, and it bothers me.