Post blood donation snacks

Options
2»

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Treat its as a treat day for doing someting great for others... and remember to skip the gym that day and even take it easy the next day.

well worth a package of oreos.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to give yourself about 650 calories from the donation

Having blood drained from your body does not burn calories. And, since the blood is "replaced" by the body slowly (which is why you're only allowed to donate every 8 weeks) you burn a negligible amount of calories rebuilding your blood supply. There is absolutely no reason to add 650 calories.

ETA: It's not necessary to eat anything after donating blood. Increasing your blood sugar level doesn't help. They just want you to stick around long enough after donating to make sure that you don't pass out.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    No, they just don't want you to sue them.

The idea's to get your blood sugar up and break down slowly. I always keep a Glucerna shake in my purse for days I'm feeling charitable.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    In England we only have really boring snacks like potato chips or cookies and I never bother to have any. Of more interest to me is the above poster who says to count 650 calories for the blood loss, really?? Who calculated that? Lol!!

Same way breastfeeding burn calories?. It is not burning calories per say it just take energy for your body to replenish the blood you lost

Yes, breastfeeding burns calories. It takes a fair amount of effort to continuously feed another human being. Pregnant women need to eat more, right? Why shouldn't a nursing mother? Having blood drained does not burn calories. The blood supply is replenished slowly, so it doesn't take a serious amount of extra nutrition to rebuild that pint of blood.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a breastfeeding switch so you could do it without having to deal with the offspring.....

I'd save a TON on groceries!
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    Here in the UK, they give you a cup of tea and a digestive biscuit after giving blood. I've always wanted to give blood but I'm always on meds so I can't :(
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    In England we only have really boring snacks like potato chips or cookies and I never bother to have any. Of more interest to me is the above poster who says to count 650 calories for the blood loss, really?? Who calculated that? Lol!!

Same way breastfeeding burn calories?. It is not burning calories per say it just take energy for your body to replenish the blood you lost

Yes, breastfeeding burns calories. It takes a fair amount of effort to continuously feed another human being. Pregnant women need to eat more, right? Why shouldn't a nursing mother? Having blood drained does not burn calories. The blood supply is replenished slowly, so it doesn't take a serious amount of extra nutrition to rebuild that pint of blood.

It was on the mayo clinic web site but they took it down. Probably because they don't want some morons using that in order to lose weight. I really do not care for me since I do eat more then 2000 calories a day but for those poor souls that eat 1200 calories they should eat more when giving blood.
  • Lampy00512
    Lampy00512 Posts: 117
    Options
    I usually just pig out on the gummies, cinnanmon crackers, and pretzels. I don't wanna pass out, so, I eat, eat, eat!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The place I used to donate always brought orange juice, chocolate covered almonds and an apple afterwards. That always worked like a charm for me, I would just pack something like that along if they dont give you any options you are happy with.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

It was on the mayo clinic web site but they took it down. Probably because they don't want some morons using that in order to lose weight. I really do not care for me since I do eat more then 2000 calories a day but for those poor souls that eat 1200 calories they should eat more when giving blood.

She is correct. It was on the Mayo Clinic's website until recently.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I just gave blood and afterwards, of course, they sent me to the "canteen" with the direction to have a snack and water. Water was no problem, but the snacks, oh my! All kinds of carb-heavy, sugary snacks there! I about had a heart attack just reading the labels. I knew I needed to eat something, and I finally settled on a package of Nutter Butters for 130 calories and 6 grams of fat. My question is this, if you give blood, what do you do for a snack? Is it really important to have something high-carb? I am thinking next time I will take my own snack, like an apple or banana. Just wondering if anyone has other suggestions or things that work for you. I don't want to take this one snack out of proportion or anything, I really just prefer to stay away from the packaged snacks, as much as for the taste as the fact that they are so processed!!!

I work as a blood center tech. Let me explain the reasoning why we want you to have sugary snacks:
    You have to remember that when you donate blood, you are donating some of what I like to call your "life force"
    All sorts of red cells, nutrients and proteins are taken away.
    Some people feel a little faint after they donate and it is because of two main reasons. Loss of volume triggers a "vasovagal reaction" and the loss of some glucose when you donate.
    That's why we enquire that you guys have a nice meal before you donate and we give you some snacks to make sure you're not going to pass out in the next hour or two.
    I hope this helps!!
    Have a nice day!!

See, some OJ and cookies won't blow your diet!!

Edited for clarity
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    When I was in the Navy, we could get the afternoon off if we donated blood, so we would take the opportunity to go to the base club and have a few beers. Of course, it doesn't take as much to get a buzz after you've donated blood.

:noway: :glasses: :embarassed: :drinker:

My xh and his coworkers called it Vampire Leave. They leave at 11, go give blood, then go to the bar and drink. I often had to drive him home, lol.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I always go for the raisins and whatever sugary snack I feel like having - cookies, ice cream, whatever. I gave a pint, I deserve it and enjoy it. :smile:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I go for the oreo cookies, pretzels, and cheese filled crackers. I usually only donated blood when it got me out of work or class though, so it's been a while.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ask for a cup of hot water, and add a packet of Miso soup to it, it's energizing and only 35 calories.

I just had some.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    wow. I had no idea I'd get this many responses! In reference to working out, I had to laugh b/c the tech asked me about "strenuous activities for the day". I told her I did kickboxing this morning and she replied "You aren't planning to do that again today, are you?!" I laughed and said, "no, I don't want to pass out!" I may wait until later tomorrow to go for the kettlebells/abs work out!

And I am getting plenty of water! Always! I drank water on the way there, and while there had 2 of their 16.9 oz. bottles. Then I drank it the rest of the day. I love water! (weird, I know)

I am not allowing extra calories but will try to eat what I am "supposed" to today. I am not at that super low 1200 anymore, not since reading the "eat more to lose" threads and starting to increase calories at the beginning of this week. I am budgeting 1600 plus exercise calories.

I tried to do "double reds" but my hemoglobin was too low at 38. Next time, a big spinach salad and a steak/egg breakfast! I ate a great lunch as recommended before I went though.

And thank you for all the snack recommendations. Next time, I think I will bring some chocolate almonds and a piece of fruit along with all my water. I really don't like the sugary snacks anymore, but the fructose in the fruit should do the trick! As well as the protein and fat in the nuts.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Coconut water...it would be a good idea to start replacing all that fluid and electrolytes you just lost. V8 works too
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    wow. I had no idea I'd get this many responses! In reference to working out, I had to laugh b/c the tech asked me about "strenuous activities for the day". I told her I did kickboxing this morning and she replied "You aren't planning to do that again today, are you?!" I laughed and said, "no, I don't want to pass out!" I may wait until later tomorrow to go for the kettlebells/abs work out!

And I am getting plenty of water! Always! I drank water on the way there, and while there had 2 of their 16.9 oz. bottles. Then I drank it the rest of the day. I love water! (weird, I know)

I am not allowing extra calories but will try to eat what I am "supposed" to today. I am not at that super low 1200 anymore, not since reading the "eat more to lose" threads and starting to increase calories at the beginning of this week. I am budgeting 1600 plus exercise calories.

I tried to do "double reds" but my hemoglobin was too low at 38. Next time, a big spinach salad and a steak/egg breakfast! I ate a great lunch as recommended before I went though.

And thank you for all the snack recommendations. Next time, I think I will bring some chocolate almonds and a piece of fruit along with all my water. I really don't like the sugary snacks anymore, but the fructose in the fruit should do the trick! As well as the protein and fat in the nuts.
    If you want to do double reds, start eating more iron now. Also, do you mean hematocrit? A hemoglobin of 38 is off the charts! It'll take a while for the hemoglobin/hematocrit level to rise without a transfusion/epogen. A hematocrit of 38 for a grown woman isn't too bad, and 12-18 is the normal hemoglobin (but 12.5 is the minimum to donate). Try a slow-release iron supplement taken with OJ (yes, juice isn't the best food, but it's the easiest and cheapest way to get your iron down with vitamin c) because vitamin c helps iron absorption. Also don't take iron with tea or calcium.