Advice from anyone who has suffered an injury....

I need advice/help from anyone who has suffered a injury and was trying to watch their weight: How long were you off your feet? Did you still lose/atleast maintain your weight? Anything special you did since you couldn't workout? I am limited to upper body only with my sprained hamstring for probably 6 to 8 weeks. I am just really down and out tonight about my injury - could use some encouragement and hugs!!!!

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    I didn't have an injury, I was just lazy. The first 5 1/2 months of my journey I didn't exercise. I lost a bunch of weight by being very diligent with what I ate. I never cheated and weighed every morsel I ate. I got to 75 lbs lost before I decided that I needed to exercise too.

You can lose weight without exercise. You have to burn 3500 calories to lose 1 lb. Unless you are a marathoner it would take you a week of normal exercise and you still would not lose that without a calorie deficit. Diet is most of weight loss. Exercise is to tone and get healthy (and to be able to eat a bit more if you chose to eat those calories back).

Just watch your diet close and you will be fine.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    I had brain surgery and was laid up for 9 weeks... I lowered my cals to maintain>
  • hoppinfroggin22
    hoppinfroggin22 Posts: 165 Member
    I broke my neck and was in a halo for three months and I was LAZY!!! the halo on my head weighed 7 pounds and I couldnt really do much..my advice portion control, rest so that you can heal better :)
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    I hurt my foot last month sometime and couldn't walk on it without pain...I'm not even sure what I did other than maybe running. Anyway I couldn't exercise for about 3 weeks and between that and the depression from that I gained 12lbs in that 3 weeks :( I was super depressed and beat myself up but after giving it that 3 weeks rest I am back to good and have worked it back off and am going back in the right direction. Maybe there is some other kind of exercise you can do that doesn't involve what's injured...swimming maybe? Good luck!!
  • rader1
    rader1 Posts: 13
    I'm in the same boat now. I lowered my cals to 1200, drink lots of water and eat little salt.
  • HungerGame82
    HungerGame82 Posts: 41 Member
    I had back surgery and I ate a small amount every few hours. It keeps your metabolism going strong so that you can eat without feeling deprived but still maintain weight. Hard to lose weight with an injury but will definitely keep you from gaining.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    I have dislocated my shoulder many times and it is an injury that you can't really do any exercise without causing pain. The most important thing I learned to do is not to rush back you will end up causing more damage and be out longer than you should have been. I really used that time to focus in on my diet and tried to maintain my weight instead of lose any of it.
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    I injured my back and it was the reason I put on weight in the first place, I went from 65kg to 80kg because I couldn't any more than around the house. If I had of stopped eating what I wasn't using I think I would have been ok.